TRS2019 Release Date

big_b

Just jot the latest news letter and release date for TRS2019

Will be coming December 2019

I take it that's a miss print or Early Access is going to last a while

Hi Ron. There's still plenty of hope.

While it is no excuse that an email was sent out without anyone checking it for accuracy, I will confess that it was my mistake, and fortunately, my inability to spot the typo has negligible impact on the overall quality of the product itself.

I'm assuming having typed TRS2019 many hundreds of times, 2018 just seems like so last year ;)

The good news is that our primary focus is getting the product right. We'll work on our editing skills as well.

Tony, do not feel bad about typos, the Leader Of The Free World has made them! When lunch turns into LAUNCH we can become really concerned.

Hi Ron. There's still plenty of hope.

The good news is that our primary focus is getting the product right. We'll work on our editing skills as well.

Tony: I am curious about N3Vs reluctance to post the early access version to Steam as you do directly from your store website. Steam has always been "early access" friendly. I had been looking forward to seeing the early access version as it would give me a head start on bringing all my content and routes up to the TRS2019 standard. Unfortunately that didn't happen and it now appears, based on your posts in the forum, that only the final version of TRS2019 will make it to Steam, which is very disappointing to me, and I suspect others, who use Steam.

Your obvious answer, as you have said before, would be that I can get it from you directly. My reply to that would be that Steam has a better and automatic updating mechanism in place and that is the primary reason all 212 games (and counting) that I have are all from Steam. Steam has so many advantages now for the game user that I no longer buy any traditional non-Steam game from direct commercial sources. If I were to purchase from you directly there would be no way, unless I am missing something here, that I could get it under Steam at some point to ensure proper and timely automatic updates. This is the major reason that so many game developers have opted to put their early access games on Steam. I sure hate to think we Steam people are going to be treated as second class customers, where we haven't been in the past, due to your new revenue model that is trying to push everyone toward a subscription model. FYI I don't mind paying the higher price you have put into place for TRS2019, but will never use become a subscriber as I am a developer and lifetime FCT holder, and not an operator, so there is little to be gained for me becoming a subscriber. My joy in Trainz is creating routes and content that others can enjoy, and not the playing or operation.

Bob

The way you are praising Steam, ... I've read about too many people who have problems Steam who wouldn't agree with you. I don't have any personal experience with it so I can't speak directly about it. But after reading about the misery some people at N3V's competitors had with being forced to use it, I'm glad Trainz only offers it as an option. My computer is a Steam free zone and I like it that way. As for updates, I don't recall any delay in applying them here and the process is pretty automatic. And I have the choice not to update if it doesn't suit me at the moment, nothing is forced. In fact I usually have several versions installed at the same time so naturally I wouldn't want them all to be updated.

The way you are praising Steam, ... I've read about too many people who have problems Steam who wouldn't agree with you. I don't have any personal experience with it so I can't speak directly about it. But after reading about the misery some people at N3V's competitors had with being forced to use it, I'm glad Trainz only offers it as an option. My computer is a Steam free zone and I like it that way.

Plenty of people have trouble with Trainz, but I assume you won't be operating a Trainz free zone?

I don't use Trainz through Steam, but I do use it for most other games. The big advantage for me is that if I buy a game on Windows release, when and if a macOS version comes along, I'll get it for no additional cost.

.... The big advantage for me is that if I buy a game on Windows release, when and if a macOS version comes along, I'll get it for no additional cost.
Is that an exclusive feature? Not having an Apple I never needed to get that version of any Trainz but could anyone get them along with the PC version directly from N3V?

Is that an exclusive feature? Not having an Apple I never needed to get that version of any Trainz but could anyone get them along with the PC version directly from N3V?

No, it's not exclusive, I also get that with TRS19, but I have in the past had to pay once for a Windows and once for a macOS version of software.

The way you are praising Steam, ... I've read about too many people who have problems Steam who wouldn't agree with you. I don't have any personal experience with it so I can't speak directly about it. But after reading about the misery some people at N3V's competitors had with being forced to use it, I'm glad Trainz only offers it as an option. My computer is a Steam free zone and I like it that way. As for updates, I don't recall any delay in applying them here and the process is pretty automatic. And I have the choice not to update if it doesn't suit me at the moment, nothing is forced. In fact I usually have several versions installed at the same time so naturally I wouldn't want them all to be updated.

If you don't personally use Steam why are you commenting on it here, and how would you know how good or bad it is other then from second hand reports, which is all you are quoting, from people you have no idea how tech savvy they are?

For my own part I have used Steam for a number of years, have 212 games currently on it, and it works on average very well for me on my high end Win10 64 bit system (32GB Corsair RAM, ASUS ROG Maximus Formula IX Motherboard, Nvidia Geforce 1080 Graphics card, 2.5 TB SSDs).

Based on my commercial software engineering and tech support background from 1993-2010 I can tell you from personal first hand experience that there are always going to be a certain percentage of people who are going to have problems no matter what the software they use is. I could also say the same here for Trainz based on the many "Trainz challenged" people I see here all the time posting in this forum. Does that make Trainz bad just because a few people can't seem to figure it out on their own? Don't knock Steam until you try it yourself for a decent amount of time.

Trainz has been on Steam for a number of years now and each time, until now, that a new version came out we Steam users were able to get that version within a short time of release. Not so this time, which I do not understand, although I suspect that it is due to the new subscription revenue model they have introduced with this release.

Bob

Steam is ok for fully developed games, but Sream isn't the place for beta testing. Stream would still need to get the beta files from N3V.

Back