Computer setups and other useful things

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
It is probable that many of us have computer lash-ups that help with creation and route building. It is also probable that newcomers don't necessarily know why and what to look for. I suggest that questions and answers could be posted here. Tell us what you do with more than just a computer/keyboard/mouse/monitor setup.

Here is what I work with. I must explain that I do not want both my computers to be networked, only one is connected to the Net

My setup is two monitors that are connected to two computers and I can switch keyboard and mouse between them with two separate programs running. This is controlled by one little clicker switch that I have fixed to my keyboard with Blu-Tack. Very handy, I can work on one computer while reading instructions on the other.

I have an Aten Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard 'KVM' unit with only mouse and keyboard connected. Search for ATEN.

I haven't tried this but I think that it would be possible to connect another similar KVM one leg to connect a third monitor. Another thing I haven't tried is to use this to connect to my laptop, no video connection to the laptop,just uses two USB connections

There is an alternative that will allow for 4 monitors connected to one computer. The setup is different, the mouse and keyboard USB connection are through the video cables. This may be a problem. Search for EDIMAX.

For data transfer there is an alternative to swapping a USB drive between machines that does not need a network connection. I use a Data Cable that plugs into USP ports and allows transfers to be controlled from either computer. search for DATA CABLE. This should also work with a laptop. I haven't tried this.

Backups.

There is a wide choice, too many to list. I have used WD 'MY PASSPORT's that plug into USB 3.0 ports and can hold about 1.8 TB. (maybe 0.8 TB, I don't remember). I also use these for data transfer when I don't want to bother with using the data cable. Search for My Passport.
When I remember, I also back up to a Seagate 4TB USB drive. Actual capacity seems to be about 3.7 TB. Search for SEAGATE

Another USB plugin I use is a Simplecom USB 3.0 Docking Station into which I can plug two normal hard drives. Most of my older backups exit on hard drives so not having to install them to read them saves a lot of time. Search for SIMPLECOM

One final gimmick. I use a Logitech G500s gaming mouse that allows me to change the mouse speed on the screen.

OK, that is how my system is set up. I don't claim that these are the only way to do what I wanted but they work for me. I know from my experience, knowing that something exists is half the battle. There are probably many alternatives, especially KVMs that require Ethernet connection, I wanted to keep my construction computer off the Internet so that would not work for me.

I hope at least one person finds it useful. I also hope that we will learn for others with alternatives.

Peter

Last edited:
I also use a Aten 4-way KVM switch controlling two Windows gaming machines, a Linux do everything else machine, and a laptop port which has been used little since I retired. The KVM switch apart from switching keyboard, video and mouse will also switch one USB port and allow the independent selection of a second. The machines are all hard wired to the Internet, and network storage.

The two Widow machines were initially purchased for work, data analysis, as was the KVM switch, but with the addition of proper video cards made decent gaming machines.

While it all works very well it has its downsides. First you don't move anything it's all connected together and I have just loaded TS12 on a very old laptop which will not run T:ANE for Xmas as we have a houseful and my space will become a bedroom. I'm thinking of creating a branch line to be updated and merged with my current efforts once they all go home.

Second, KVM switches and there associated cables are expensive and the cables are particularly bulky, but thankfully at the time the company paid. Thirdly, you are stuck with one level of technology, if it's USB2 or 3 today without buying a new controller you can't upgrade to USB3 or C tomorrow. Video connections may be even more difficult as many of the latest 20xx cards have dropped DVI for Display Port and HDMI although the switches do handle high resolutions you are stuck with their respective video connector. The good news is however that most modern monitors have more than one input and facilitate auto-select creating a work round, and I guess few of us will ever be able to afford more than one 20xx card at a time.

As for backing up Trainz with all the network storage that the family also have access to and the pocket size portable hard-drives I own, I still have not progressed beyond two 32GB USB 3 sticks which I use alternatively after each session. One gets plugged in, I back up my routes with associated sessions as a .CDP file and it get removed. I use one on even dated days the other on odd and should the whole lot fail including one of the USB sticks I still would only loose at most a couple of days work from my current over 4 year old creation. Peter

Last edited:
Back