Industrial clutter ideas

Thai1On

Slave to my route
Hello route builders I have a quick question industrial clutter? I have a lot of empty space around a large number of factories and I would like some suggestions on frame rate saving clutter?

Dave

I have a picklist named "Derelict Stuff" that is full of "clutter". As for "frame rate saving" well that is harder to predict because just about any asset that is overused in a scene can reduce your FPS. Here is the picklist:-

<kuid2:68213:28009:1> Sleeper wood 02
<kuid2:68213:29033:3> Derelict truck 01
<kuid2:1942:25081:1> Corrugated Hut 4
<kuid2:44988:70001:2> 44 Gallon Drum
<kuid2:1942:25082:1> Corrugated Hut 5
<kuid2:68213:25013:3> Derelict culvert pipes 01
<kuid2:1942:25085:1> Corrugated Hut 6
<kuid2:68213:27062:2> Derelict iron sheets 01
<kuid2:126323:27006:1> DHR Clutter sleeper pile 2
<kuid2:68213:29054:2> Derelict caravan 01
<kuid2:126323:27007:1> DHR Clutter poles
<kuid2:68213:29055:2> Derelict caravan 02
<kuid2:68213:26026:2> Gas station BP derelict
<kuid2:68213:29034:3> Derelict truck 02
<kuid2:68213:29147:1> Derelict truck 04
<kuid2:126323:27010:1> DHR Clutter B class boiler
<kuid2:126323:27004:1> DHR Clutter metal box
<kuid2:126323:27012:1> DHR Clutter pile of rails
<kuid2:126323:27013:1> DHR Clutter sleeper pile 3
<kuid2:126323:27011:1> DHR Rusty metal sheet
<kuid2:58843:29003:1> drums
<kuid2:523:1445:2> Industrial Scrap Tyre Stack
<kuid2:523:1447:2> Industrial Scrap Tyre Upright
<kuid:-25:648> Misc Wooden Crates
<kuid:-25:649> Misc Wooden Crates 2
<kuid2:98966:67810:3> Sleepers Bundled
<kuid2:35412:28002:1> sleeper pile
<kuid2:68213:28008:1> Sleeper wood 01

If your route is modern enough to have forklifts or products on pallets then pallets are one thing you want. Every factory that doesn't produce bulk products has stacks and stacks of pallets and there is a fair selection in trainz.

Various barrels too, wood and or metal, gaylords, and other stuff too. Just be careful with some of the metal barrels.

There are some older ones which must have 512k polygons to make them smooth and these tiny intsywintsy sized barrels can stop any computer and then drive you crazy as you look around trying to find what's killing the frame rates.

Amongst my own creations, try searching CM with #68213 in the Author field plus one of the following terms in the Name field;

Derelict
Cars crushed
Dumpster
Hose industrial
Ladder
Mesh fence
Mesh gate
Pipe
Sleeper wood
Trailer domestic
Valve

If you do all those searches, you should find lots of industrial-looking scenery, usually a series of related assets differing in texture and/or size. All are on the DLS, some are already built-in. You will need to look at their details to decide which ones you actually want to get.

None of them, even the old creations, are particularly high-poly and the more recent ones have LOD to help out.

Last edited:
Try using Splines like CityScape. Here is a good example...

CityScape Warehouse Clutter 01.jpg

Dave Snow made some scattered trash and trash pile assets that have been invaluable. They represent the curbside trash you see in the shot I just posted in K&L pics. He also made 2 trash garbage textures. They're great.
There are 3 scrap textures by xawery that can fill a lot of space.
Felix_g has some great worn street stripes that are perfect for an industrial area or inner city environment. They're on the DLS too and begin with JR RM.

bcnfQTD.jpg

Dave's textures with a TUME scrap pile. His trash is at curbside across the street. 2 truck carcasses are Rust Truck by alien3. Felix_g's stripes.

Best,
smyers

Last edited:
I have a few items in the DLS entitled "garbage" or similar. They're meant to be more like street or parking lot trash, but hopefully will be helpful. Like most of my items, they are rollable/tiltable with Shift+Rotate.

Evening Folks,

Appreciate all the Asset names.......Looks like I'll be shopping over the weekend.....I'm always looking around for junk to spice it up.......

Update Sat:

Remember that an industrial area usually does not have bright shining structures. An exception is a modern so-called industrial park. There administrative offices and light manufacturing need more modern "clean" buildings. .

:wave: Thanks for that info, very salient points to remember.........I live near heavy Industrial areas, where ,as you aptly state, industrial buildings from the 40's on up and they are defiantly worse for the wear, Rusted, falling down in some spots, and yes people still work there. Amazing by any means to me. But considering full time jobs are at a premium these days, I shouldn't be surprised you'll do what you need to put food on the Table......On the bright side, I do see new tilt up "CONCRETE" buildings coming on scene and slowly replacing the older buildings, and there are plenty in my area.

Whenever I get a Route off DSL etc, one of things I like to do, is see what Trashy Items I can find too add around the area, and this is exactly what you would expect on any route, of course all this is up to personal preference of the user.

:cool: Thank you Dick and others here for your contributions. Enjoy your weekend Sir.......

Last edited:
Remember that an industrial area usually does not have bright shining structures. An exception is a modern so-called industrial park. There administrative offices and light manufacturing need more modern "clean" buildings. Also, the era. Recent structures are likely to have held up well over their life due to the quality of materials and paint. Older structures, perhaps prior to 1960 (guess) suffer from coloring that did not stand up well to UV sunlight and the treacherous pollution from their own, or other smokestacks.

Depending upon how expansive your scene is - remember people need housing and services near the industrial area. Beyond houses do not forget essential services such as banks, gas stations, grocery and convenience stores, big box stores and of course funeral homes. Each contributes to the sense of reality that is needed more than before due to the improved lighting in the TS19 offering.

Dave Snow made some scattered trash and trash pile assets that have been invaluable. They represent the curbside trash you see in the shot I just posted in K&L pics. He also made 2 trash garbage textures. They're great.
There are 3 scrap textures by xawery that can fill a lot of space.
Felix_g has some great worn street stripes that are perfect for an industrial area or inner city environment. They're on the DLS too and begin with JR RM.

bcnfQTD.jpg

Dave's textures with a TUME scrap pile. His trash is at curbside across the street. 2 truck carcasses are Rust Truck by alien3. Felix_g's stripes.

Best,
smyers

Not to hijack the thread, but... This is the sort of scene I really admire. Almost photographic. Wonderful feel for location and time. This is an artist at work and their medium in Trainz. Is there a thread where people share these kinds of images? This is the kind of thing I would really like to do, but sadly know my creative limitations.

Back to your previously scheduled programming.

Not to hijack the thread, but... This is the sort of scene I really admire. Almost photographic. Wonderful feel for location and time. This is an artist at work and their medium in Trainz. Is there a thread where people share these kinds of images? This is the kind of thing I would really like to do, but sadly know my creative limitations.

Back to your previously scheduled programming.

I agree it's images like this that make you stop and look around.

Check out the Screenshots forum. There's some truly awesome stuff in there, a real showcase of what can be done and a treasure trove of ideas as well.

Also needed in industrial areas is abandoned sidings, rusty rails, and badly maintained track. In some abandoned or less served locations you'll find that plus grass and close-in bushes.

2018-08-27 220046.jpg 2018-08-27 215920.jpg

Here is a branch that serves some mills located behind the camera. Below and to the right are more mills, sidings, and bad track. This line once saw better days many years in the past. These screenshots are early TRS2019 shots and the area has since had other details added including trash, grass, and other clutter. In the right hand shot, that's a wall that (embankment) with a busy highway. Sadly where I live, there are lots of places like this. I modeled this off of the former Manchester and Lawrence "mainline" now abandoned completely.

The track is one of my amalgamations of Jointed Rail 132# US rusty track with the ballast replaced with their dirt texture. I did a little bit of retouching to get the sandy, dirty, worn track to work with the dirt. I tried some of this initially with a modified LRW track, but the rails are too thin and ties are too widely spaced for US standards. In addition to doing the rough-looking track, I hard-coded the track-condition to be 1% so the train really, really rocks back and forth as I've seen on the old M&L when the B&M/PAR used to deliver boxcars to the Agway dealer near West Street in Lawrence.

Last edited:
Also needed in industrial areas is abandoned sidings, rusty rails, and badly maintained track. In some abandoned or less served locations you'll find that plus grass and close-in bushes.

View attachment 1698 View attachment 1699

Here is a branch that serves some mills located behind the camera. Below and to the right are more mills, sidings, and bad track. This line once saw better days many years in the past. These screenshots are early TRS2019 shots and the area has since had other details added including trash, grass, and other clutter. In the right hand shot, that's a wall that (embankment) with a busy highway. Sadly where I live, there are lots of places like this. I modeled this off of the former Manchester and Lawrence "mainline" now abandoned completely.

The track is one of my amalgamations of Jointed Rail 132# US rusty track with the ballast replaced with their dirt texture. I did a little bit of retouching to get the sandy, dirty, worn track to work with the dirt. I tried some of this initially with a modified LRW track, but the rails are too thin and ties are too widely spaced for US standards. In addition to doing the rough-looking track, I hard-coded the track-condition to be 1% so the train really, really rocks back and forth as I've seen on the old M&L when the B&M/PAR used to deliver boxcars to the Agway dealer near West Street in Lawrence.

Hello John,

Good information, and for the neophyte here (me) how or what application do you use to weather or change rail color?

Hello John,

Good information, and for the neophyte here (me) how or what application do you use to weather or change rail color?

The usual... Nothing too dangerous, I mean difficult to use! :)

- Paint.net to touch-up textures.
- Cloned assets in Content Manager
- Used the Open in Explorer option to copy in and replace textures - you got to rename anything you put in to be exactly the same that's already in there...
- Notepad to edit the config.txt files to add in any information like the track-condition tag, and rename the assets to something more notable, like put in my initials in the name plus ---- Rusty and 1%.

That's it. I believe in doing things the simple way. To be honest I was quite pleased with the outcome and if it didn't work I wasn't going to be upset. I've since added ties only on some dirt-textured ballast to look like abandoned stretches. They look good with bits of track, bare ties, and more track here and there. If I make any junctions, I remove the switch stands. The track isn't connected to the mainline or branch anyway and is usually covered with trash and weeds.

The only thing I wish is there was a better way to blend different ballast textures as much as I have tried, I can never get that right.

The usual... Nothing too dangerous, I mean difficult to use! :)

The only thing I wish is there was a better way to blend different ballast textures as much as I have tried, I can never get that right.

:cool: Thanks John,

Appreciate the info you provided, and it just so happens that I have Paint.net in WIN10 OS, so I will have too do some experimentation when I get a chance........I didn't realize they use Textures for the Ballast, but when I think about it, then I'm thinking they probably use Textures for lots of different Assets too in the same Vein of thought.

I also believe in the KISS philosophy as well, I have been called OLD SCHOOL many a time after passing the age of 50,,,,,and I am darn sure proud of it too........:hehe:

Enjoy your weekend Sir.........:wave:

Back