A question about Bulkhead Flatcars?

ish6

Since 2001
Hi All --

Do Bulkhead Flatcars come in different dimensions, focusing here on length, and if so please detail if it's not too much trouble?

I search the net, but there is nothing clear enough to give me figures!

Ish

As you might expect, the inside length is the driving dimension of these cars, and it isn't always tied to the overall length of the car-- i.e. there is no standard bulkhead "thickness" or placement. For example, WM rebuilt both 50' and 53'6" flats with bulkheads and steel V-decks for pulpwood service, with the same bulkheads and same inside length on both versions. The bulkheads were inset on the longer cars. This way the two could be used interchangeably.

What's really interesting is that WM, probably following C&O's lead, permanently coupled pairs of those pulpwood cars with drawbars! All were eventually separated aside from some odd Greenville cars which seem to have been scrapped in that configuration.

Last edited:
As you might expect, the inside length is the driving dimension of these cars, and it isn't always tied to the overall length of the car-- i.e. there is no standard bulkhead "thickness" or placement. For example, WM rebuilt both 50' and 53'6" flats with bulkheads and steel V-decks for pulpwood service, with the same bulkheads and same inside length on both versions. The bulkheads were inset on the longer cars. This way the two could be used interchangeably.

What's really interesting is that WM, probably following C&O's lead, permanently coupled pairs of those pulpwood cars with drawbars! All were eventually separated aside from some odd Greenville cars which seem to have been scrapped in that configuration.

Thank U for your post, sir --- Vern informative, indeed!

Because of your post I did some more research, and saw some cool real train pictures on the net, etc … Although, I'm getting all of this train info, I'm applying it to Marsz assets; The principle is still and WILL always be the same to deliver load and unload of goods and services -- Thus far I have done over 40 new bulkhead flatcars for Marsz for Maglev tracks in varies forms and shape according to the research I have read on this thread and the link provided!

Appreciated it! :)
Ish

Back