Licensing

josefdoc

Hi all, I was wondering where to go about getting licensing from railroad companies in order to sell items with their logo. Don’t really know how to go about this.

Thanks!

More seriously contact the support of the railroad company to ask their permission to stay out of troubles

Union Pacific wanted all HO Trainsets pulled from hobbyshops due to UP logo copy write ... Doubtfully you will ever hear back from a RR, about whether or not they object to you using their logo, as they are too busy running freight ... If you bring their attention to it by writing to them, they will say no ... Do it quietly, and you will never hear from them

Last edited:
If they are "virtual" items you are selling and the company asks for a royalty, pay them in "virtual" money. :hehe:
Graeme

Send them Bitcoins :cool: Or Monopoly money

Bring up the issue to them, and they will shut down everything about Trainz

All they can do is demand that you to stop selling the assets ... I don't think there has been a single case of a RR or company that has ever prosecuted anyone in a court of law using Trainz (aside from TTTE carp) (SONY, yes as they have the money to throw around, prosecuting music pirates)

Some questions are better not asked

Last edited:
Hi all, I was wondering where to go about getting licensing from railroad companies in order to sell items with their logo. Don’t really know how to go about this.

Thanks!

Hello,

Have you ever scanned the DLS? Logo's galore, like UPS, FedEx, Ihop, you name it and it's there! Companies don't care much unless you're making money, and they're being cut out of their piece!

Regards
Ish

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I'm actually looking to make apparel and things of that nature. Selling them for a profit, I'm not sure if I have to get a licensing agreement. Like if I wanted to sell something with the PRR logo, it's a fallen flag so how would that work?

Thanks!

You'd have to get a time machine, and go back in time, and contact the Pennsylvania Railroad, or they'll come back in their own time machine to present day ... and they will sue you :hehe: If you copy paste someone's artwork logo, they might be able to trace it somehow, and say that you used their artwork of the logo to make money off their artwork

There is an insurance company called American Premium Underwriters, which was basically a remnant of Penn Central. They owned all the legacy logos, into the early 2000's at least. They may still do, I don't know.

If it is a clearly commercial product, such as T shirts for sale, then you would be well advised to get a licence agreement. If is is a non-commercial hobby, such as Trainz railcars, then they will possibly approve of the free publicity - but you can never be certain.

I add that I have no qualifications to offer legal advice.

PRR became PC then Conrail and now CSX, so contact them.

Actually most of Conrail became both CSX & NS. The railroads that formed into Conrail may be more difficult to get licensing from as their assets (including their logos) were split and/or shared across 4 companies (NS, CSX, Amtrak, and Conrail Shared Assets).

peter

You can do anything you like ... If anyone objects, they will contact you ... and chances are they will never ever even contact you at all

https://www.foxnews.com/us/homeless...donors-of-400g-gofundme-campaign-funds-report

You can accept a homeless veterans last $20, from out of his own pocket, when you ran out of gas in your car on the NJ turnpike ... open up a GoFundMe account in his name, collect $400,000, and spend almost all of it on your own lavish lifestyle, and hardly give him anything at all ... And the cops and court ain't a gonna' be able to actually prosecute you ... as all the money is now gone ... A decision by NJ local court is due to be released TODAY ... Stay tuned

Last edited:
Union Pacific wanted all HO Trainsets pulled from hobbyshops due to UP logo copy write ... Doubtfully you will ever hear back from a RR, about whether or not they object to you using their logo, as they are too busy running freight ... If you bring their attention to it by writing to them, they will say no ... Do it quietly, and you will never hear from them

Send them Bitcoins :cool: Or Monopoly money

Bring up the issue to them, and they will shut down everything about Trainz

All they can do is demand that you to stop selling the assets ... I don't think there has been a single case of a RR or company that has ever prosecuted anyone in a court of law using Trainz (aside from TTTE carp) (SONY, yes as they have the money to throw around, prosecuting music pirates)

Some questions are better not asked

You'd have to get a time machine, and go back in time, and contact the Pennsylvania Railroad, or they'll come back in their own time machine to present day ... and they will sue you :hehe: If you copy paste someone's artwork logo, they might be able to trace it somehow, and say that you used their artwork of the logo to make money off their artwork

You can do anything you like ... If anyone objects, they will contact you ... and chances are they will never ever even contact you at all

https://www.foxnews.com/us/homeless...donors-of-400g-gofundme-campaign-funds-report

You can accept a homeless veterans last $20, from out of his own pocket, when you ran out of gas in your car on the NJ turnpike ... open up a GoFundMe account in his name, collect $400,000, and spend almost all of it on your own lavish lifestyle, and hardly give him anything at all ... And the cops and court ain't a gonna' be able to actually prosecute you ... as all the money is now gone ... A decision by NJ local court is due to be released TODAY ... Stay tuned

Your knowledge on this subject is utterly non-existent. Please, refrain from spouting your ignorance, and getting people in serious legal trouble.

To the OP: Just about all Class 1 Railroads have a link on their website to contact their respective Commercial Licensing departments, and YES, they DO monitor and police their Copyrighted logos. They have specific legal/public relations departments that handle nothing but this subject.

Ever notice, that the big Payware companies do not produce much content from the Big railroads anymore? ...Licensing.
-I looked in to getting a License from Norfolk Southern a few years ago, to produce and sell NS branded Engines and Rolling stock ... At that time, with an estimated number of less than 1,000 branded units sold, the fee per year was around $300.00.
-The fees are usually based on the Right x the number of Items/Units you intend to produce (physical items) or sell (virtual items).

Contact each Railroad, and if in question of who owns a Fallen Flag, ask the Railroad who absorbed the original. Example: PRR > PC > Conrail > Norfolk Southern, ..or.. NYC > PC > Conrail > CSX .. NS or CSX should know which Fallen Flag they or the other owns Rights to, or what Holding Company holds the Copyright.

Back