JVC TerrTex - Causing Lock Up

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Several times now on a couple of different routes, on attempting to apply JVC terrain textures - both the RM and NE series, Surveyor has locked up (*not* CTD) requiring a forced shutdown to close the game.

Can anyone else confirm if the problem occurs on their install - running latest EA build 97556. If so I will log as a bug as it's bloody annoying when you've spent 15 - 20 minutes trying to get a good texture blend, hit the sweet spot and - bang!

Tried a dozen different JVC textures without issue. It may be that any texturing causes the problem, it could be related to the location on the route, camera zoom level, moving from one area to another etc.

The ideal steps for a repro are when you can predict "my next action will cause the lock-up". Next best is more like "if you do steps 1-4 for long enough, it will cause the problem".

It would be great if you can track this down more closely so we can resolve the problem (as you say - bloody annoying).

We most likely will need your route in order to repro (unless you can figure out a repro on a test map from scratch).

Strange then, Tony. the only common factor between the two routes is that I was painting over Transdem textures. It was only the JVC textures that have caused an issue, everything else - including PBR - is fine. Perhaps it is an asset issue, maybe best just to avoid that particular texture set.

the only common factor between the two routes is that I was painting over Transdem textures.
Was this also a Transdem Route?
Given the numerous format changes since the last Transdem update, this is a likely area to investigate.

All of my prototype routes are created using Transdem, albeit a slightly older version as I haven't got round to upgrading (yet).

Postscript: Just scrolling through the terrain textures in the RH pullout and coming to the JVC textures has locked Surveyor, without even selecting one.

Last edited:
All of my prototype routes are created using Transdem, albeit a slightly older version as I haven't got round to upgrading (yet).

Postscript: Just scrolling through the terrain textures in the RH pullout and coming to the JVC textures has locked Surveyor, without even selecting one.

Run a database repair if you've been locking up because you're now probably making things worse. If the database has become corrupted, this can lead to further lockups when loading the same things previously due now to a corrupted record in the database.

Anway after that's database repair, Click on the launcher and Developer, and choose Clear Log then Show Log, and then open up a test route and go through the JVC textures again. There's a possibility that one of them is corrupt, or maybe the texture is too large an image. There may be a warning at least in the log. I am able to open up these textures fine myself so I can't reproduce your particular problem, however, I did discover a badly mapped texture.

JVC(CM) Grass 1, a built-in one to boot. (<kuid2:328583:3623:1>) It's very low resolution blur and doesn't scale well.

I will do that now John. Have noticed after a lock up and Ctrl-Alt-Del rather than CTD, the database rebuild *doesn't* automatically run on restart. I'll report after following the procedure above.

Edit: Update, database rebuild seems to have cured the fault, if not identified the cause of the problem. Both on test route and main WIP.

Last edited:
Correct, at least on a 20 minute or so editing session so guess the cause will remain a mystery.

One thing it might be worth doing though Tony, is seeing if the game can detect a lock up as well as a CTD and run the DBR on the next start up by default?

Back