The sepia series

philskene

I've posted these images in various other sections of the Forum, but it's probably worth while bringing them together in one place -- just to show to any doubters how good TRS19 can be and how much better it is than any previous version of Trainz:

TRS19%20K%26L%2001a.jpg

TRS19%20K%26L%2002a.jpg

TRS19%20K%26L%2005a.jpg

TRS19%20K%26L%2006ab.jpg

TRS19%20K%26L%2010a.jpg

Phil

Sometimes the sepia pics look more authentic than colour. :)

I often wonder if younger people, when watching black and white movies, think that real life was B&W until the 60's. A bit like Pleasantville (the movie).

I've posted these images in various other sections of the Forum, but it's probably worth while bringing them together in one place -- just to show to any doubters how good TRS19 can be and how much better it is than any previous version of Trainz:
Phil
Yes in sepia; but to me in colour it looks too bright and artificial, nothing like real life here in the UK. I personally find that the original MSTS still gives one of the more natural appearances in terms of lighting. This artificial look puts me off upgrading at the moment, apart from the other teething problems.

teddytoot
nothing like real life here in the UK
Actually, TRS2019 does dismal, dull and dreary really well too. It is just a matter of adjusting the lighting environment carefully.
Once mastered, you can have whatever appears 'natural' to you.

Yes in sepia; but to me in colour it looks too bright and artificial, nothing like real life here in the UK. I personally find that the original MSTS still gives one of the more natural appearances in terms of lighting. This artificial look puts me off upgrading at the moment, apart from the other teething problems.

I was in the UK in the Midlands, Lake District and Devon in September. Saw plenty of weather like this... :)

2018-11-13_210102.png

The romance of an era is often best portrayed in the reality of the era. Our air is now cleaner, paints are brighter and more durable and we demand color since our TV's now show it. But, the elderly amongst us will tell you about the dark skies on sunny days as industrial smoke blanketed an area. The movies even showed the scenes of an arriving trains emerging from the damp and dank fog of the evening. The sound of the approaching steam engine with its baleful whistle and its inefficient lamp trying to project through the murk can now be captured.

Perhaps it is memories, or the lack of fidelity in old photos, but reflections were few on the old trains. They were not for show (exception some special passenger trains) but for work. Factories were filthy places, houses were dull in appearance, it was not an era of beauty, but of work.

Last edited:
My mom was born in 1917, and they had no color. Evidentially the sky and everything was in shades of gray and sepia ... Warsh' day was Sunday, as that is the only day that the Warner Lime Co didn't operate, as it would make a fine dusting of white limestone dust everywhere, all over he wrash' hangin' outside in the backyard ... The steam train would come into Bellefonte 3 times per week, and would run around train at Water Street siding, and run backwards all the way out to Milesburg ... A loaf of bread was a whole 10¢ ... Once when her mother instructed her to go down to the corner store to buy a loaf of bread, my mom accidentally dropped the dime, it went a rollin' away from her ... Frantically chasing after the rolling dime, it went spiraling down the sidewalk, and as fate would have it, it fell into a crack in the between the pavements, and she tearfully dreaded to explain to her mommie that she had lost the dime ... As there was no ice cream invented until an air force man took a carton of milk up into a B17 bomber, and it froze, and the engine vibration churned the milk into a froth ... There was no legtricity' invented yet, and the ice man made his delivery with a horse drawn wagon, lugging a big block of ice, using huge ice tongs, fer' inside the ice box ... While back in her days, there was no such thing as ice cream, so when they heard the iceman's horse come cloppin' along up the cobblestone street, pulling the noisy ice delivery wagon, the local kids would all come a runnin' along, each a holdin' their mommies warshcloth', running along behind, a followin' the iceman's wagon up the street until it stopped ... As they had no way to keep cool, no AC, nor any legtric' fans, (cept' fer' the prayin' Jesus hand fans from church). The iceman would then feel sorry fer' all the little sweatin' little chillrens', a sufferin' in the sweltering summer heat. The iceman would chip off chunks of ice fer' all the little chillrens', and the warshcloth' pertected' their little hands from the "cold drippin' stuff", as they all chomped away on ice, while sitting on the stoop ... Ice was harvested from lakes in winter, and was hauled by mules pulling sleds, to be stored deep down into the mines, and was packed in sawdust to keep it from a meltin' ... Come around May, there was no more ice left ... So fresh meats were salted, dried, and hung under the back porch, up on hooks, and up in the smoke house ... Everything being so antiquated and such, as it was in those times, it seems that everyone commonly came down with the "Kroop" from food poisoning, and doctors back in those days made house calls ... Winters were so snowy, cold, and icy, and they couldn't afford shoes, so they wrapped their feet in barbed wire just to get traction on the slippery ice, and the snow was so deep, that they had to shovel their way all the way to, and from, school, an' it was uphill both ways ! ... And there was no sound, everything was in B&W ... And when people talked, every conversation was in flickering subtitles ... Silent movies were 5¢ ... Then when "talkies" were finally invented, that was a total wonderment ... A movie was only a dime, and with candy too, it was a whopping total of a quarter (a whole two bits) ... When color was finally invented, the sky was always a perfect Pomme blue cloudless sky ... It was not until the first nuclear power plant was invented, that clouds first appeared, as these are the new fangled "cloud makin' machines" ... Hence where all clouds come from :hehe: ... When a single engine propeller aereoplane flew over, everyone would come a rushin' outside to witness the rare event, and the crowd would all wave to the pilot, and he would acknowledge back by rocking his wings ... Ahhh ... Those were the days, back in day and age of Gray and Sepia tones :cool:

SnowShoeSwitchbackRRnrBellefontePA-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps it is memories or the lack of fidelity in old photos but .... it was not an era of beauty, but of work.

I can empathise with that. I spent the first 5-6 years of my life in post war London with horrendous pollution due to coal burning, factories, etc. It nearly killed me.

No one, except the well off, would, or could, take photos in colour (Kodachrome). Nearly all photos were black and white. That's why Phil's pics struck a chord with me. Perhaps they would not appeal to those who grew up in colour but for those of my generation it brings back memories.

Phil,
I loved your color shots but these sepia shots are strikingly beautiful. I grew up taking black and white pictures until I got older and my father “let” me start using color film. The depth and clarity of your shots are amazing. I concur with Paul. They do bring back treasured memories.

Gary

I just don't understand all the fuss about TRS2019. Right now the default lighting is appropriate for something like the deserts,but not appropriate for where I live,which is hilly terrain,and many,many,many,trees. Thus steam era rolling stock being very shiny when it shouldn't,and shadow planes looking bad,and the height mapped textures don't work well right now.

...And I don't even understand one bit of why they can't make a version of TRS2019 without "Precaching". It might just be my crappy PC causing to be slow. And all the stuff on the DLS as freeware becoming payware​ in TRS2019.

I've posted these images in various other sections of the Forum, but it's probably worth while bringing them together in one place -- just to show to any doubters how good TRS19 can be and how much better it is than any previous version of Trainz:... pics deletedPhil

Why are those that are not happy with what TRS2019 appears to offer, at an extortionate price at the moment, referred to as "doubters"? I have read this in a couple of posts in various threads now. Is there some sort of religious fervour abounding in the Trainz community all centred on TRS2019 at the moment?

Sorry to go somewhat 'off topic' but that's seemingly the nature of this type of "TRS2019 is wonderful (in one's own opinion, of course)" type threads!!

Rob.

Right now the default lighting is appropriate for something like the deserts,but not appropriate for where I live,which is hilly terrain,and many,many,many,trees. Thus steam era rolling stock being very shiny when it shouldn't,and shadow planes looking bad,and the height mapped textures don't work well right now.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here exactly, but since the current Early Access version was released:
(i) the default lighting for a new route has been modified
(ii) import settings for various pre-TRS19 era routes have been tweaked (TS12 did not have any brightness data, TANE SP3 adds some [non-editable] data so has to be treated slightly differently
(iii) "steam era" being shiny is in fact more like "some steam locos that do not have a specific tag in their texture.txt file". This issue has been resolved.
(iv) unsure of your definition of "not working well". They work really well on flat surfaces, good on most surfaces, and there is an inherent issue on very steep surfaces. You can avoid them altogether, or mitigate the problematic areas as good as possible.

...And I don't even understand one bit of why they can't make a version of TRS2019 without "Precaching". It might just be my crappy PC causing to be slow.
Precaching is a process that takes the data from assets and prepares it for use by the system. This process then ensures that everything runs far more smoothly.
Beta releases do not have any prebuilt precache data, therefore the user needs to wait on the first load for the game to do the precaching.
For release versions, we prebuild the precache data.
You can do this yourself as a one off if you like to avoid any "while loading" precaching. There is a trainzutil function "prebuild". Run that process - it will take an hour or so for a reasonable size install - and your precache problem is solved.

And all the stuff on the DLS as freeware becoming payware​ in TRS2019.
I ran a filter of Payware = True and On DLS = True and it showed 18 items.
This filter would compare only KUID = KUID so if the DLS item was a version 1 revision and we've updated the asset to revision 2, then this could be the cause of a higher number.
We will be examining the full list and will update the DLS with the updated versions which should solve most if not all of the issues you are seeing.

… so if the DLS item was a version 1 revision and we've updated the asset to revision 2, then this could be the cause of a higher number.
They still qualify as " freeware becoming payware​ " and need to be included in the solution.

Payware = True and On DLS = True shows 696 here. Payware = True and On DLS = True and Installed = True AND NOT Obsolete = True shows 52. So the problem is much larger than your figures suggest.

Thanks, Tony.
You can do this yourself as a one off if you like to avoid any "while loading" precaching. There is a trainzutil function "prebuild". Run that process - it will take an hour or so for a reasonable size install - and your precache problem is solved.
Helpful information about a Trainzutil process that I didn't realise existed. Took only a few minutes on my current beta build.

Sorry for another thread hijack (it's hard to ignore answering when people ask...)

Payware = True and On DLS = True shows 696 here.

That list includes:
(i) All genuine PC/Mac payware items and revisions - ~300 (these are listed as "On DLS" as there is a "Payware stub" asset listed for database reasons). e.g.
<kuid2:661281:100030:1> Amtrak F40PH 2 pack
(ii) All Mobile payware items and revisions of those items - 388 in total e.g.
<kuid2:212731:101025:1> Big Boy World Tour - UK Part 1

Looking through the list here I only see a handful of items like :
<kuid2:103021:1972770:1> Steam White Texture<kuid2:103021:10100:1> White Corona

Feel free to create a post and people can list the items they are concerned about in the thread for us to investigate further. I could be missing something else, so please let me know if so.

Thanks, Tony.

Helpful information about a Trainzutil process that I didn't realise existed. Took only a few minutes on my current beta build.

This is very useful, indeed. Mine took awhile with my current large dataset. I let it run while I practiced the piano. When completed, I had one error which was a faulty commodity. The error didn't cause th asset to fail, but it needed the icon.texture so I created one and now there are no errors and only one uncached product.

Feel free to create a post and people can list the items they are concerned about in the thread for us to investigate further. I could be missing something else, so please let me know if so.
That's the wrong way around. Users cannot identify 'stubs'. The best guess available is that routes should be excluded, but that might not be 100% correct.

Create a blog about the problem, describing why it happens and how to find the affected items. List the items you have already found, together with expected fix dates. Invite people to add to the list. As the items are fixed, tick them off so people know to download them.

Back