Looking to re-start

Hi All,
A member for many years in the early days and a recipient of regular updates e-mails ever since.
Not been involved for about 10 years or so and lost with where we are.........
If I was a newbie today what should I purchase to be up-to-speed - I have much more time to spare and would love to be involved again - computer specs are ok according to recommended requirements, but no idea for what.
I would just like to enjoy the prog like I did when I first stumbled upon it years ago.
For example, what is the difference between Tane and Trainz 2019 - I have been unable to work it out - thick maybe - but just looking for some guidence...............
Cheers,
IanM.

Hi SailorDan,
Thanks for your quick response - I see you are in Fiji - a real rugby battle a few days ago.
Do you suggest quite simply Trainz 2019 is the route forward.....
Many thanks,
IanM

N3V's Trainz railway simulators are just entering a Golden Period.
Definitely consider going to the latest iteration of this rapidly evolving and maturing series.
TRS2019 is easily the best offering so far to date - looks sensational and operates smoothly on the right hardware.
There are some gorgeous included routes that take advantage of the new PBR textures and lighting model.
There's backwards compatibility with previous version's routes and assets and many superb new offerings to boot.
So welcome back to the fold - be prepared for further addiction and obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

Hi All,
A member for many years in the early days and a recipient of regular updates e-mails ever since.
Not been involved for about 10 years or so and lost with where we are.........
If I was a newbie today what should I purchase to be up-to-speed - I have much more time to spare and would love to be involved again - computer specs are ok according to recommended requirements, but no idea for what.
I would just like to enjoy the prog like I did when I first stumbled upon it years ago.
For example, what is the difference between Tane and Trainz 2019 - I have been unable to work it out - thick maybe - but just looking for some guidence...............
Cheers,
IanM.

Really really really make sure your computer is up to date, or you will be disappointed. Especially the graphics card. As long as you're up to date... I would recommend go straight to TRS19. The content from TANE can be downloaded into TRS19 without any hassle. TANE was a major upgrade from TS12, and TRS19 is built up from the TANE back end software engines (from what I remember all that it was advertised as). So even if you start with TANE, moving forward to TRS19 would not be very bad to do. Everything before TANE is where you will have to jump through hoops to make it work.

Still, if you can go straight to TRS19 ..IMO

Do you suggest quite simply Trainz 2019 is the route forward.....
If the differences between TANE and TRS19 are important to you then you should go with the latest version. If they aren't important then TANE is good value at the moment.

I'm sure you are aware that TRS19 is "Early Access." Not everything is 100% smooth yet. Also, not all Routes are available yet and some some are are available are not completed. I've had TRS19 now for a week or two. It's my very fist Railroad Sim. I got interested in Railfanning and thought I'd try a sim to help learn signals and such. Little did I know what I was in for. TRS19 is a great experience! Though for those who are new to the detail of railroads AND Trainz sims it can be a rough learning curve due to lack of docs for the version.

I'm running '19 on a Mac at lowest settings and enjoying it. As soon as I can find gaming PC at a reasonable cost I'll probably go that route so I can get to better/faster graphics. I've used Mac since the '80's and love the machine and OS. But I need a PC for testing (websites) so I'll just get the hardware that can handle '19 also.

You'll be pleasantly surprised...

2018-09-22 003301.jpg
2018-11-04 011234.jpg

2018-08-27 215735.jpg

This is what "sold" me on the new version. It's the most satisfying to drive with the best performance, with a decent video card, and the best graphics yet.

Ian, if you are able to go with the gold membership for 2019, then T:ANE comes with it. Problem solved. Right now I would say T:ANE has more content, but 2019 is the future, and a lot of T:ANE content will get spruced up in 2019, I am sure. The graphic engine is superior. There are also many creators of earlier routes and sessions that are now updating them for 2019, and skipping T:ANE in the process.

Last edited:

...But I need a PC for testing (websites) so I'll just get the hardware that can handle '19 also.

This is the official word you tell your wife/partners. ;)

You mean you need the PC for TRS19 and will use it for testing websites too.

Hi,
You have all helped point me in the right direction - lots of good advice. I now understand the current position with the prog.
Really looking forward to being involved again.
Many thanks to you all.
Cheers,
IanM.

This is the official word you tell your wife/partners. ;)
You mean you need the PC for TRS19 and will use it for testing websites too.

Ha... no... I call it "using to full opportunity." I work from home (websites, ebooks, and such), This stuff needs to be checked on Mac and Windows apps (Explorer is notoriously known to render websites poorly). I've been doing all testing by using not only using my native Mac OS but using a Virtual Machine (Win 7) on my Mac. I do need a true Win 10 machine sitting here also. (Don't you think????)

Last edited:
Back