Layer strategy

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Do you have a strategy when it comes to using layers?

Before layers, I would add a Surveyor Only tag to my objects if they were only to be seen in Surveyor and not in Driver. Clumsy but it worked. That still left the problem when objects were placed very close to each other. Trying to select and modify one was often an exercise in frustration.

They they added layers. Now any object can be rendered invisible by placing it on a specific layer and then hiding that layer. Layers and the objects it contains can also be locked so they can't be selected. I often put switches and signals on separate layers so I can work on one without disturbing the other.

Recently I ran into a issue related to layers see this thread. When objects could belong to two separate layers, i.e platforms with attached track, I used to assign the platform to a station layer and the track to a track layer. Somewhere along the way, some of the tracks ended up in the guide layer. The guide layer is normally hidden in Driver and so some of the track was hidden and the AI got totally confused, as was I, trying to figure out why some track was disappearing.

Now I think I will place all such objects on one layer, in this case a track layer even if part of the object is a platform or building.

So now I use these layers:
  • tracks (all tracks including objects that have attached tracks)
  • roads (all roads and road objects except those with attached tracks)
  • buildings (all buildings except those with attached tracks)
  • signals (all track signals)
  • switches (all track switches)
  • trees (all vegetation)
  • guides (all guides and other objects not meant to be seen in Driver)
  • other layers for special cases not covered by the above

layers.JPG
All of the above in the route part of the layer tab. The only things I put in the session area are those things that belong to one particular session. For example, if the same basic route will be used in two different time periods, they could have buildings and other objects that are specific to one or the other era.The same with trains. A morning session vs an afternoon session, etc.

I do similar to you:
route: includes all tracks and track-attached buildings / industries
roads
structures
vegetation
ground features (fill splines, cliffs, etc)
details (little details that tend to get in the way of other things)
several layers for overlays / maps - UTM tiles, sanborn maps, valuation survey maps, and others
notes - little flags / markers / etc; also rulers
cameras
I also have a 'temp' layer I use if I need to isolate something temporarily.

I may add a layer for wires (electrical / telephone / telegraph)

Using layers for different eras would be nice, but I'd need to be able to bind an object to more than two layers. I tend to build 10-20 eras on the same base (and not everything switches out at the same time.)

I am also a great fan of using layers but they do have traps and limitations.

Some points you may not have considered.

So now I use these layers:

• tracks (all tracks including objects that have attached tracks)

• signals (all track signals)
  • switches (all track switches)

You need to take care when placing track objects (signals, switches, speed signs, etc) and track in different layers. The track objects should never be in a layer that is above the layer containing the track - this will cause error messages and problems.

I place track and all track objects in the same layer and I keep that layer as the top route layer and this avoids that problem. The only exceptions are track marks and triggers which I often place in session layers, which are always below the route layers, as they can be different from one session to another.

In the early days of layers, I got a bit too ambitious and tried to create a layout that simulated two different eras in one. The two eras had slightly different track arrangements so I used different track layers to simulate that making the different layers visible or invisible as required for the particular era. Unfortunate it didn't fool the AI which would happily send trains in one era down the invisible track from the other era.

There is a detailed wiki on using layers, including all the pitfalls and tricks, at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers

I am also a great fan of using layers but they do have traps and limitations.

... The track objects should never be in a layer that is above the layer containing the track - this will cause error messages and problems.

At first when I saw that mentioned, I was not sure what it really meant. Above what? Below what? Only later did I twig to the physical order in the layer tab.

Good wiki article. Would like a more elaborate explanation on other uses and limitations of the bound layer. Aside from the mentioned temporary hiding or locking of objects, what else is it good for?

Now if only there could be an onscreen indication of the current layer, it would really be a great tool.

I have a layers for
track accessories ( boxes subs switches 4etc)
electrics ( overheads and lines )
various textures ( track ) ( field and road ) ( mountains )

[QUOTE

Now if only there could be an onscreen indication of the current layer, it would really be a great tool.[/QUOTE]

I've seen this asked for on a number of occasions
It's not hard to suddenly find your working in the wrong layer or discover you have done it some time in the past while editing

I used layers until I attempted to merged a couple of routes together which on the first few efforts was a total disaster. Merging the layers of respective routes together before merging the actual routes resolved the problem and have not bothers with layers since. Peter

Would like a more elaborate explanation on other uses and limitations of the bound layer. Aside from the mentioned temporary hiding or locking of objects, what else is it good for?

I have added a small update which provides a bit more information.

Now if only there could be an onscreen indication of the current layer, it would really be a great tool.

A much asked for feature. We live in hope.

Fine idea putting trees on a separate layer, this would help those with a less than adequate computer.

I make only one Session per Route. Therefore I can keep it simple. Everything goes into the Route Layer. Under the Route Layer I have a layer called Locked. Sometimes it's hard to "grab" a building if it's close to a Multiple Utility object. I put the one I don't want to move into the Locked Layer, then I can manipulate the other object. When finished I change the Locked Layer object back to Route Layer.

I always get into Surveyor by Select Route - Select Session - Edit Session. This opens Surveyor with the Session Layer active. Immediately, if I remember, I select the Route Layer. If I've already placed some objects, I merge the Session Layer into the Route Layer.

As many others, I've asked for an indicator to show which Layer is Active. I'm really surprised it's not in the TRS19 Beta or PreRelease.

... Under the Route Layer I have a layer called Locked. Sometimes it's hard to "grab" a building if it's close to a Multiple Utility object. I put the one I don't want to move into the Locked Layer, then I can manipulate the other object. When finished I change the Locked Layer object back to Route Layer.... .
If I understand the Bound property correctly, you don't have to move the building to the locked layer, just bind it to that layer and it will be locked. Then either remove the binding or if you forget which objects were bound, delete the lock layer and all bound objects will be unbound. Just recreate it for future use.

If I understand the Bound property correctly, you don't have to move the building to the locked layer, just bind it to that layer and it will be locked. Then either remove the binding or if you forget which objects were bound, delete the lock layer and all bound objects will be unbound. Just recreate it for future use.

That is a correct description of the process.

Back