Graphics Upgrade Opinions

boc61

My machine is only 3 months old and for the most part it runs TANE fine, although there are the occasional rough spots. It's an overclocked i5 8600K (4.5Ghz), with a GTX 1070ti. 16GB RAM and 2 860 EVO SSD's. I thought maybe for the Holidays I'd get myself a graphics upgrade. Leaving the GTX 2000 series out of the mix, I am thinking of either adding a second 1070ti or a single 1080ti. Thoughts?

Right now I'm using a 23" Flat panel at 1920 x 1080. I am planning a monitor upgrade as well, probably to 27" so that will probably change.

Right now I'm using a 23" Flat panel at 1920 x 1080. I am planning a monitor upgrade as well, probably to 27" so that will probably change.

1920 x 1080 with a GTX 1070 TI would normally be fine in my opinion but it does depend on expectations, the settings and the content you're running. 23" or 27" doesn't matter its the number of pixels used. Don't attempt 4K at the moment. I know at least one person runs TANE in a window so it looks better. That reduces the number of pixels that TANE has to support. Anecdotal TS19 information is it runs slower than TANE does on the same hardware, content and settings so you might want to take that into account when you upgrade the GPU.

Cheerio John

Depends on several factors.

Does TRS19 support SLI, no it doesn't, neither does TANE.
Does SLI work with it, unknown, it may have worked with TS12 an TANE, jury is out on that.
Done some research, for some Games 2 x 1070TIs in SLI seriously out perform a GTX1080TI, for other games it's no better or worse or doesn't even work.
Need an uprated PSU for 2 x 1070TI's 650 watt preferably higher and good quality, not cheap for Gold Rated and a high bandwidth SLI Bridge ($50) for anything over 1920 x 1080 adding to the cost.
May need to beef up case cooling as the lower card will heat up the card above it.
Use of SLI seems to be falling off unless you are into extreme benchmarking.
GTX1080TI still seems to be the card to go for performance and value for money rather than the grossly overpriced currently rapidly dying RTX20XX cards.

I would hold off on spending on a GPU, too soon. You have a good one now, if it is 1070. Wait until at least another generation or two. I went from GTX 580, to GTX 980, then GTX 1080. Looking at all the reviews, and what this will do for Trainz, a 2070/2080 series is not worth the money at this time.

I am fan of such like 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 and not planning to go any higher in near future, so I guess I will stick to 1080Ti if some in affordable price will be available locally. From technical point of view Asus Strix series seems to be OK regarding performance & cooling capability. That will be probably my last attack ever to reach satisfactory performance in Trainz.

Thanks for the replies, some things to consider for sure. I have noticed that TANE is smoother in a window, but I can't stand not being in fullscreen.

Back