Coupling onto flatcar with EOT device

1611mac

- - . -
Is there anything "wrong" with coupling onto a car (on 5 car consist) that has an EOT device on that end? Can an EOT be removed?

I ask because I have a consist with an EOT. if I couple onto EOT end AI doesn't work properly. When destination is given the train pulls to main line and backs right back to where it started. It seemingly will repeat this over and over. (I watched for 3 cycles and stopped.)

If engine is coupled to the other end of the consist (no EOT) proper AI movements occur.

So is coupling onto an EOT forbidden?

Since an EOT air hose is connected to the last car trainline air hose, coupling directly to the EOT coupler might damage the EOT, and coupling a consist without coupling the entire trainline air hoses would make the rear end of the train having no brakes, and disconnecting the air hose to the EOT would make the EOT nonfunctional ... removing an EOT coupled in the middle of a train is a PITA

As I never had a radio (as we had none), I hated changing knuckles, and hanging EOT's, and giving rear end brake tests, as you had to stand in the middle of the gauge ... One time I had hung an EOT, and had a seat off to the side on an empty spike bucket, and the head end crew unexpectedly shoved back at 20 mph, 20 ft without radio notice ... I was so scared that I fell off the spike bucket onto my butt

We commonly had no EOT's in the yard, and had to snag one off an incoming train, we also had 50 totally dead batteries that would no longer hold a charge, so trains would get a flashing STAR marker (that commonly also had totally dead non-chargeable batteries) one way to really pee off a train crew was to inform them that they only had a wooden handle red cloth flag shoved in the rear coupler

Last edited:
Reading your post is like reading RailFan mag. Do you write?

After further game play I think the odd AI behavior not due to the EOT. I've since had other similar AI weirdness with no EOT involved. I was just wondering if the EOT actually impacted game realistically, if they could be added or removed, or if they were just "in game eye candy." I searched support portal and found nothing for EOT or End of Train Device.

And thinking about it... software should not allow you to move a consist without the proper "EOT device"... (sometimes a caboose, whatever is appropriate, etc)

Last edited:
Reading your post is like reading RailFan mag. Do you write?

After further game play I think the odd AI behavior not due to the EOT. I've since had other similar AI weirdness with no EOT involved. I was just wondering if the EOT actually impacted game realistically, if they could be added or removed, or if they were just "in game eye candy." I searched support portal and found nothing for EOT or End of Train Device.

And thinking about it... software should not allow you to move a consist without the proper "EOT device"... (sometimes a caboose, whatever is appropriate, etc)

They are eye candy. The EOT is the modern replacement for a caboose.

The ability to not move a train without one could possibly be scripted somehow. Not being a programmer or a script write, I have no idea how to go about that, but it would be interesting seeing it done and create a bit more of a challenge. In this case an attachable EOT device could be used to ensure that all trains have them. There is a standalone one available, I don't remember if it's from Jointed Rail or from the DLS, or elsewhere, that works like a train car, albeit, a small one. Using something similar, then attaching a script to it might be possible, but as I said I have no clue how to do that.

AI weirdness is an underestimation of the Trainz AI. You will have days when they behave then you'll have days where you'll want to throttle their virtual necks and fire them all on the spot!

But in all seriousness, sometimes the AI issues are our own making and you'll discover this over time too and feel bad when you blame an AI driver for your error.

The behaviour of AI is not affected by the EOT. As far as I know, the EOT device is part of the wagon (car). When anything couples to the EOT end of the consist the EOT is no longer displayed and moves to the last vehicle of the new consist. Only wagons that have the EOT script will display the indicators.

Trevor

Back