Why Blocked Tunnels?

lrjanzen

I was running a train on Kickstarter2 and notice one of the tunnels is "Blocked". It looks like the entrance is full of stones but the train runs through it just fine. The other tunnel had a normal entrance. I notice the same thing on a couple of philskene's layouts. It doesn't appear to affect how the trains run. Just wondering if there was a purpose for this? I was running with an external forward view and when the train entered the tunnel it switched to a rear looking view then switched back to a forward view. Why? Sort of a first-world problem, but just curious why the app would care which direction I am looking.

Usually because the route creator wanted to have the tunnel entrance at some random angle with respect to the grid. In order to do that, a dighole object has to be placed to cut through the ground. Unfortunately, they only come in fixed sizes and require another object, like a tunnel portal, to cover the unused parts that are cut away. If that's not available, sometimes they will just dispense with the dighole and hope no one notices.

Out of all the other sizes dighole, I always use a 1x1 dighole (which is one grid 10m x 10m) Why there are so many 1x1 dighole assets is beyond me

They are easily deleted/moved by looking straight down, from directly overhead

Tunnels can drive you crazy, depending on the Angle and the particular Tunnel you are using, I have used Dig Holes before, and there are times when the Angle just will not work in the area I need said tunnel, then what I will do is go look at my Tunnel Assets, and pick a similiar one......I hate to have to a massive Change of Terrain Height etc....Also sometimes when I do use the Dig Hole, I find I have small openings where the Grid will not close due to obscure angle issues, in that Case, then I put in some different size Boulders to due the coverup.....It takes one's patience of Jobe.

Another thing, I just recalled, when you are having issues, go into Wire Mode, sometimes it helps to see how the Grid is setting outside/inside of the Tunnel for you to see more clearly instead of trying to see thru Texture Colors, it really helps me, and I due a lot of my work in Wire Mode when Modeling or Changing Routes in General, also frees up your Graphics Engine from all the redraws of Points in Space and Time when you move stuff and your mouse around....Hope that makes sense......

Best of luck

Back