disappearing track

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Just plain gone.

In 97556, I've been editing a new route. I've been placing tracks and stations, testing each new section as I go along.
Last night, I noticed a set of my passenger enabled platforms have some missing tracks. I thought I had accidentally deleted them So I replaced the platforms. Started another test run when the consist started to misbehave. When I got to the same set of platforms, they again had some of their track missing.
TRS2019 97556 disappearing track.jpg
In the image, the area where the missing tracks were is circled in blue. On either side are new platforms that are ready to replace the damaged ones. Note the complete tracks. The baseboard has been put in wire frame since the platforms are partly underground. The ground elevation comes from a DEM import and has not been adjusted yet.

The platforms are kind "industry" with attached-track.

I saw that on a route I installed from the DLS and reported it to the route creator. I thought it was an issue with the route, now I'm thinking it's a bug.

Today I had some track become scenery items. Yes, track became fixed track and I couldn't connect to it or work with it, but could be raised, lowered, rotated, and deleted as if it were a building or something.

This didn't occur with all of the track, just a segment here, a segment there, making the issue difficult to fix and causing other problems with sessions. I'm not sure if it's some data corruption so I opened the track up for editing, reverted and now running a DBR. Hopefully the problem will go away with the DBR.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it appears that my track changing its type from track to scenery object was some kind of database issue that a QDR appears to have repaired. If it shows up again, I'll do an EDR before reporting should the error occur after that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reports. Please provide KUIDs and repro steps to repeat this disappearance.

Tony,

Here's the track that disappeared on the route also attached to a station:

LRW Track, Wood, Bullhead, Brown.

Kuid:101839:21010

I discovered the track while driving when my driver suddenly stopped and refused to pull into the station.

Invisible Station 50m by Scottish:

Kuid:359841:101576

2018-11-09 230139.jpg

I have discovered another thing which I need to bug report but I am in the middle of confirming the steps before I do so, but will mention it here.

When placing a spline, regardless of whether it's track or some other scenery spline, hitting ESC to cancel the placement will cause the spline it is attached to to disappear. Using undo does not always bring back that missing section and I'm not sure if saving is a good thing at that point so I haven't and instead quit and returned.

The spline/track selected and canceled is one that is selected in error, or in the case of track has created a junction in error because the shift-pressing finger is too slow and dumb to press quick enough on the key. You can confirm this bug, but if you want I will write this up and submit it.

Wasn't this raised in another thread a few days ago?

Isn't this a resurgence of the bug which afflicted TANE SP2 and affected both track and scenery splines?

Our eminent coder needs to go back and look at his notes to see what changed going from SP1 HF4 to SP2 then back and now changed again going into TRS2019!

After a Rebuild Database, I did a quick tour of the tracks I've been working on - they seemed OK. Put a new consist in and gave it a Schedule Library route to follow. Everything seemed fine until it suddenly got confused and couldn't find the next station. Free roaming ahead, noticed some missing track sections that should be part of a passenger enabled platform.
TRS2019 97556 disappearing track Dorion .jpg
TRS19 Track Concrete 2 Procedural - Seasonal kuid 2 661281 44113 8
AMT 198m pax kuid 2 70337 28189 10 which is based on NS perron 108m pax kuid 2 70337 28094 1 which is on the DLS
TRS2019 97556 broken joint.jpg
Also noticed a broken track joint which cause one section of track to veer off at an extreme angle. This seems to be an old bug. I remember seeing it in TRS2004.

Both issues appear to occur during the Quick Drive that was invoked from Surveyor. The damage was permanent and not confined to just the driving period, they were still there upon returning to Surveyor.

solved

I always place a set of guides to help locate track, buildings and other items for which I have a known location. They are placed in a guide layer. The track is placed on a track layer, buildings in a building layer, etc. When I placed the station platforms with their attached track in the station layer, it never occurred to check on which layer the attached track was placed. Before starting a Driver run, I hide the guide layer, no need to see them when driving.

I was just doing some maintenance, placing new signals. I had hidden the guides so they would not get in the way when I noticed some missing track sections at one of the stations. When I turned on the guide layer again, the missing tracks re-appeared. duh! how did they get on the guide layer? Will now have to go over the route with the guide layer off to see if the same thing happened elsewhere.

Are attached track treated differently from the industry they are attached to when it comes to the layer selection?
Is this related to the phantom tracks that are sometimes left behind when their associated objects are deleted?

That's an interesting observation, but is it a slip of the finger or mouse that caused that rather than a bug?

I ask because I have the missing track parts but all on a single route layer.

Wasn't this raised in another thread a few days ago?

Isn't this a resurgence of the bug which afflicted TANE SP2 and affected both track and scenery splines?

Our eminent coder needs to go back and look at his notes to see what changed going from SP1 HF4 to SP2 then back and now changed again going into TRS2019!

It's possible, but that's the breaks of fixing something in programs. Sometimes the very act of fixing one thing can break another, and what appears to be the return of a previous bug is actually not and is yet another bug that causes the same symptoms.

I liken code repairs to pushing wrinkles out of a rug. Eventually we get the biggest wrinkles to the end and out of the way, but there's always some smaller ones that remain.

Not ruling it out but that would involve a lot of slipping.

One of my passenger enabled platforms consists of a platform object and individual six pieces of attached track along one side of the platform. It is split up like that in order to have 7 trigger points for the script.

What usually happens is I place the platform in the station layer and then attach the mainline track in the track layer to one or both ends. This causes the default track type to change to the mainline track. It happens that sometimes the wrong layer will be active and I then open the platform properties and change the layer.

Perhaps the attached track doesn't follow the layer change. Or perhaps some how by attaching the mainline track to the platform track, the layer gets changed - sometimes only one end section, sometimes a center section, sometimes all of them. And when two platforms are facing each other, the same sections of track are affected. This will take a lot of tested the various combinations to see if a consistent result can be produced.

It would take a lot of slipping, but as you said putting stuff on the wrong layer would be a cause.

It's not inconceivable that program is confusing the assets with layers, but it could happen and it could be related to the issue I've had with assets changing kinds from tracks to scenery.

Where your track disconnected, was the track drag-able to the station fixed track? When that occurred on my route, I could not drag the track at all. It had become a fixed track asset and broke at various places such as at bridges, some industries, MO-crossing assets, etc. It was a messy cleanup too afterwards. I will say that the DBR seems to have fixed the problem so perhaps mine is a one-off issue that has resolved its self.

I haven't had any kind changes, yet. Was it only in the one instance? If you placed another instance of the same object, did it also change kind or stay in the config designated kind?

I was able to drag the detached track back to the station and it snapped back. The two tracks were both on the same layer. A DBR was done, just in case.

I haven't had any kind changes, yet. Was it only in the one instance? If you placed another instance of the same object, did it also change kind or stay in the config designated kind?

I was able to drag the detached track back to the station and it snapped back. The two tracks were both on the same layer. A DBR was done, just in case.

In my instance, it was all over the route, but inconsistently and always the same track. It was a bit disconcerting because I wasn't sure how much was broken like that and what was not. It was one particular track, a formerly installed track which is now built-in. The database repair seems to have fixed that problem so far - knocking wood this was it.

Back