Has gramma returned?

hiawathamr

DLC developer for Trainz
So I was searching on the DLS for some defect detector for my route. I came cross some, and they looked pretty good. I've downloaded them, and loaded them in game, and saw that they're the ones from JR.
Has someone at JR gave him permission or is he back at it with illegal uploading again? Just want to confirm this..

3xlqUSU.jpg

license that's found in the config: "Not to be used for other than intended use."

I just want to make sure that this is safe and not something done without permission.

Thanks for understanding,
Peace

Last edited:
I probably assume illegal uploading. I used to have some of his reskins before I deleted them because I found out they were done without permission and very low quality (e.g. sporbust's GE C40-8W in Conrail skins and they have blue steps and fuel tanks). He (as "TheMinecraft Conrail") subscribed to me on YouTube and I used to mentor him, but not anymore because he keeps doing this.

The only people who can confirm of deny that (a) they are originally from JR and (b) were copied with or without permission are the people at JR. Anything else is speculation.

So if I were you, I would send a message to the people at JR with the kuids and let them decide.

He's gonna get what's coming to him

Speculation.

You are assuming that he has copied these assets without permission. That may very well be the case, and his previous track record does not help him here, but I would recommend waiting until JR confirms or denies that speculation.

Speculation.

You are assuming that he has copied these assets without permission. That may very well be the case, and his previous track record does not help him here, but I would recommend waiting until JR confirms or denies that speculation.

C'mon Pware, gramma has pulled this same shtick with hundreds of other assets. This is nothing new. I think we can safely say that when gramma uploads someone else's stuff to the DLS, they're doing it illegally.

You may be correct and I admit that the chances are more than likely, but there has been a case in the recent past where a well known abuser was "caught at it again" to the fury of forum members but it turned out that in that particular case, he had actually sought and had been granted permission from the original creator. It was a shock to some.

I prefer to follow the dictum "Innocent until proven Guilty" no matter what the past track record of the poster has been - that is why the statue of Justice seen outside many courts is blindfolded.

EDIT: I missed the post from Jointedrail above. This reinforces my point, only the original creators can confirm or deny that an asset has been posted with or without permission. Only they can request N3V to remove the asset(s) - which I hope is now being done.

Last edited:
It’s not the first time and he’ll be doing the same thing over and over I think it’s time for N3V to ban him forever

It’s not the first time and he’ll be doing the same thing over and over I think it’s time for N3V to ban him forever

He does have his own WiX website called, "TheMinecraft Conrail" (after his YouTube account) with MediaFire links to some content he didn't put on the DLS and it's pretty much a bigger problem than I originally have thought.

I don't want to brag, but my Conrail AC44 reskins are more superior than his horrible Conrail C40-8W (sporbust) and SD70MAC reskins (sporbust SD70M with horribly bright shades of blue). I'm not as superior as Jointed Rail, but I have a feeling that gramma just wants more attention with his low quality illegal reskins like that of BillVu. I used to mentor him on YouTube when he was making the same Amtrak Phase III P32/P42 reskin as me and I told him that he needed some work on his, but he would never listen to me. I've heard from one of the other people who make freeware reskins on YouTube that he doesn't take criticism and he does get offended by people who are trying teach him that this is wrong and illegal.

Here's his website and feel free to look at it - https://theminecraftconrai.wixsite.com/mysite/home

P.S. I also would like to thank you for helping me make my reskins better and I wish gramma would've listened to us and others.

Last edited:
Innocent Until Proven Guilty "dictum" is meaningless. This is the Internet where free expression is the goal. Thus, I am free to express that a criminal, who has served his time, MAY now be at it again based upon past history. To ignore that, and fail to call notice, is malfeasance..

Is this what we have become? Do we now have to prove our innocence? If I accuse you of piracy (as I am free to do since "free expression is the goal" of the Internet) then is it up to you to prove that you are innocent or for me to prove that you are guilty? So if I make a malicious claim about the origin of your latest uploads to the DLS does N3V have to assume that you are therefore automatically guilty and immediately remove your work? Yes, past transgressions should be taken into account - if you have done this in the past then I would look more closely at your uploads but should I assume that you must be automatically guilty?

All I am stating is that there has to be a fair and transparent process, not based on emotion or the need for punishment over past events. If I accuse you of pirating work that was created by, cascaderailroad for example, would you insist that my word, as an upstanding citizen of the Trainz forum (I have never had a CoC warning issued against me so that must count for something:)) be taken as "gospel" or would you insist that proof, such as confirmation of no permission given by cascaderailroad, be offered before your work was removed?

I know we have repeat serial offenders but if we start boiling the tar and gathering the feathers without evidence, based purely on past deeds or a need for "revenge", then are any of us safe?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there have been many cases where the offender has been proven guilty (e.g. the repeated uploading of clones of Pofig's tree on the DLS) and no action was taken, despite many complaints by the author himself.

Besides that, the DLS is full of mostly Eastern European and Russian assets coming from third party sites that are clearly cloned copies (often, identical clones of the same object are uploaded, don't ask me why).
The "authors" of such assets have so little knowledge of Trainz they do not even bother altering the config files and the preview images showing the original author's kuid. When I see an asset from a Russian author showing a caption in Hungarian (a completely different language) in the preview image, I become a little suspicious :D.
As regards to the lack of reaction from the real authors, maybe they are not aware of this (there is a whole world outside the DLS, and much of it does not understand English), maybe they don't care. As long as no assets from TrainZItalia are cloned, I only have an academic interest in this issue.

Unfortunately, there have been many cases where the offender has been proven guilty (e.g. the repeated uploading of clones of Pofig's tree on the DLS) and no action was taken, despite many complaints by the author himself.

That claim ("no action was taken") is incorrect. It took a while to find the relevant posts (end of 2012) but the uploaded trees by pofig were removed by N3V once the creator had established ownership, but that did take some time. Part of the problem was that, according to my reading of the posts at least, the originals were never placed on the DLS but on a third party web site. There was also more than one "hacker" involved and as soon as one lot of trees were removed they were posted again by another individual.

When it comes to removing pirated material, the wheels at N3V may move too slowly for some but instant dismissal and banning based on a single report by a third party is not enough. I was unable to find the post by Tony on the matter but there have been cases where a "childish spat" between creators has resulted in deliberately false reports of illegal uploads and other cases where 3rd parties have reported violations where none actually existed - the uploads were under a "public domain" licence or the creator had actually given permission. Hence the insistence by N3V that only the creator can confirm or deny a violation of copyright.

So even if gramma, BillVu and others with that kind of "track record" (pun intended) continue to upload material, N3V must have confirmation from the original creator first. I am sorry if this is unsatisfactory but that is how it has to be.

My opinions only.

That claim ("no action was taken") is incorrect. It took a while to find the relevant posts (end of 2012) but the uploaded trees by pofig were removed by N3V once the creator had established ownership, but that did take some time. Part of the problem was that, according to my reading of the posts at least, the originals were never placed on the DLS but on a third party web site. There was also more than one "hacker" involved and as soon as one lot of trees were removed they were posted again by another individual.

When it comes to removing pirated material, the wheels at N3V may move too slowly for some but instant dismissal and banning based on a single report by a third party is not enough. I was unable to find the post by Tony on the matter but there have been cases where a "childish spat" between creators has resulted in deliberately false reports of illegal uploads and other cases where 3rd parties have reported violations where none actually existed - the uploads were under a "public domain" licence or the creator had actually given permission. Hence the insistence by N3V that only the creator can confirm or deny a violation of copyright.

So even if gramma, BillVu and others with that kind of "track record" (pun intended) continue to upload material, N3V must have confirmation from the original creator first. I am sorry if this is unsatisfactory but that is how it has to be.

My opinions only.

It was partly my work getting that Pofig mess unraveled, and believe me I spent a good part of the Christmas holiday back then peeling apart the layers only to find more and more interconnected and intertwined users who part of this mess.

I too have been guilty of jumping the gun too only because I have, like everyone here, been put on guard due to the pirates. This situation here, I will admit was handled very well. We're getting better at this, or may this happened to be an easy case.

The problem too is we have the usual suspects, as mentioned above, and then there are new people that come along. The new people will do this either because of inexperience, or language barrier upload stuff without showing or asking permission or even repair content and not make anyone aware they have permission to do so, and that's when our warning bells go off. That was the issue that zapped me last time and I did apologise to the user for my error.

"... I told him that he needed some work on his, but he would never listen to me. I've heard from one of the other people who make freeware reskins on YouTube that he doesn't take criticism and he does get offended by people who are trying teach him that this is wrong and illegal."

So we should keep mentoring him so he' quit. That's easy!

Back