Been away from Trainz since 2012. Looking for version help!

Cigarettes: $9.00 a pack (used to cost 49 cents, and vending machines took pennies)
Punkin' Pie $3.99 - $6.99 (day old reduced sale shelf $2.49, used to be $1.49)
Gas fill up for your car $ 50 (used to cost $ 15)
Weekly food shopping: $ 80
Movie and popcorn for two: $60
Dinner at the all you can eat Chickity China da' Chinese Chicken Buffet: $30
Christmas presents for wife: $400 +
Red Light Camera traffic violation: $110
Bribing a tow yard forman (with cash) to take the Boot off the wheel of yer' car: $ 375
Veterinarian visit for dawg: $400
Vet Emerg Room cost for dummie dawg (that falls off the bed on Sunday morning at 5:35 AM), with 1 broken leg, and 2 ACL knee surgery: $11,000
ACL surgery for you ... $ Zero ... instead walk with a cane, cost $19.99

Auto shop fees:
Draining out the old stale air in your car tires, and refilling them with brand newer fresher air, more bouncier air: $10.00
Snippy answers to stupid questions:$1.00
Answers to stupid questions that require deep thought: $3.00
Stupid looks and snippy answers, are always Free

Trainz sounds kinda' cheap :cool:

I have a big nose, because air is free

Last edited:
I think i already wasted enough money in the Trainz series during the years . Why should i purchase / or pay a monthly fee for an alpha or beta version ?

I can understand what you are saying. A while back I finally settled down to get to work in Tane. At the same time they are already announcing the next version of Trainz. After spending so much on the Trainz franchise with Tane, I realized that there is no point to continue. By the time you finish your Trainz project it's already outdated. It's like running on a treadmill, you can never keep up.

The reality is everything in life becomes outdated. Can't escape it. Trainz 2019 will be old hat a few years from now as something new will pop it's head up. The question is does Trainz give you enjoyment? If it does then don't worry about how many versions come out or what it costs. Anything in life that brings you joy will cost money. Stay with what you like or keep up to date. The choice is always yours.
Alco_P-A

The reality is everything in life becomes outdated. Can't escape it. Trainz 2019 will be old hat a few years from now as something new will pop it's head up. The question is does Trainz give you enjoyment? If it does then don't worry about how many versions come out or what it costs. Anything in life that brings you joy will cost money. Stay with what you like or keep up to date. The choice is always yours.
Alco_P-A

Realistically, an actual, decent quality route can't be done. Only the smaller table top types of routes can be made. If there are big routes being made out there, it is more then one person working on it, or the route isn't very detailed or lacks any quality.

Realistically, an actual, decent quality route can't be done. Only the smaller table top types of routes can be made. If there are big routes being made out there, it is more then one person working on it, or the route isn't very detailed or lacks any quality.
Bit of a broad statement, how do you know that is the case? for all you know there are dozens of people making routes you don't know about.

You just have to be realistic, it all depends on what you are creating , if you use eras which are popular which have masses of recently made highly realistic assets , ts quite possible to make a highly detailed realistic route on your own or if you choose a landscape that's catered for and which is regular and ordered , such as the English countryside , its easier to model . There are solo folks out there making detailed researched large routes - Pencil 42's Virginia and Truckee for instance, but it takes a very long time. You have to be patient , no short cuts in this hobby. .

Cigarettes: $9.00 a pack (used to cost 49 cents, and vending machines took pennies)
Punkin' Pie $3.99 - $6.99 (day old reduced sale shelf $2.49, used to be $1.49)
Gas fill up for your car $ 50 (used to cost $ 15)
Weekly food shopping: $ 80
Movie and popcorn for two: $60
Dinner at the all you can eat Chickity China da' Chinese Chicken Buffet: $30
Christmas presents for wife: $400 +
Red Light Camera traffic violation: $110
Bribing a tow yard forman (with cash) to take the Boot off the wheel of yer' car: $ 375
Veterinarian visit for dawg: $400
Vet Emerg Room cost for dummie dawg (that falls off the bed on Sunday morning at 5:35 AM), with 1 broken leg, and 2 ACL knee surgery: $11,000
ACL surgery for you ... $ Zero ... instead walk with a cane, cost $19.99

Auto shop fees:
Draining out the old stale air in your car tires, and refilling them with brand newer fresher air, more bouncier air: $10.00
Snippy answers to stupid questions:$1.00
Answers to stupid questions that require deep thought: $3.00
Stupid looks and snippy answers, are always Free

Trainz sounds kinda' cheap :cool:

I have a big nose, because air is free

Got an early morning chuckle out of that post cascade. Well done :D

Bit of a broad statement, how do you know that is the case? for all you know there are dozens of people making routes you don't know about.

I know because I've been there. I know what it takes to make a quality route. I've made content in both Trainz and Railworks. I've tried to get people together for projects and found that it will always fail. Heck I even recall paying somebody at one point to help out.

The odds are good that those big routes that are being created by a single person will never get finished. If by small chance that one of those big routes does get finished, very few will enjoy it because it's obsolete and everybody has moved on to the latest version of the franchise.

Yes this is a broad statement, but it does cover any railroad sim out there. I don't mean to pick on Trainz alone. After 10+ years of considering rail sims to be my hobby, I found that in the end frustration over powers the joy of content creation. Personally, I'm currently in a state of limbo with all content creation.

If you're able to wait... go to TRS19, if not, go to T:ANE. You won't be dissappointed in terms of performance and graphic quality.

Hi there,
I find myself in the same position - once a veteran and now a newbie.
Lost track of the whole process - perhaps we could join forces and work together.
Trainz 2019 seems to be the next logical stage - but still awaiting advice..........
Cheers,
IanM.

The odds are good that those big routes that are being created by a single person will never get finished. If by small chance that one of those big routes does get finished, very few will enjoy it because it's obsolete and everybody has moved on to the latest version of the franchise.
Just because everyone keeps abandoning the last version, and constantly keeps moving on to the next brand newer bright and shiny version, doesn't mean that you have to.

I can keep my route in 06 as long as I want to ... and if I want to make it available to others I would import it into TS12, and then into T:ANE, and probably then into TS19, and then into TS20, and then into TS21 ... etc ...

If Trainz ever evolves to a point where all older routes and assets are no longer compatible, so be it ... And it is their loss

I can still share my route with legacy Trainz version users

To the OP, stay away from TRS19, TMR17 and the digital-download versions of T:ANE because of the whole-game DRM. If they cannot authorize over the internet every 30 days or so, you lose the game and all content. While there are many reasons that can happen - poor internet, N3V goes out of business, or they simply want to stop supporting your version of Trainz and force you to buy a new one, the result is you lose all your work unless the game can reauthorize. Think basically a subscription, but not necessarily under your control.

That said, boxed T:ANE is available and isn't too expensive. It may already come patched up. Wait a bit and you'll probably find a steep discount in preparation for the holidays.

Each to his own but OpenRails is dated and the breadth of content isn't there. MSTS content now that's really stepping back in time.

Cheerio John

I've actually been recommending OpenRails to people wanting to get into train simming, and am even getting back into it myself. I find the content management and creation to be a bit cumbersome but no doubt will get used it eventually.

To the OP, stay away from TRS19, TMR17 and the digital-download versions of T:ANE because of the whole-game DRM. If they cannot authorize over the internet every 30 days or so, you lose the game and all content.
I'm not sure whether you lose the game, and your own routes ? But you would lose the in-game auto installed DRM DLC if not re-authenticated every 30 days

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether you lose the game, and your own routes ? But you would lose the in-game auto installed DLC
You'll loose access to the game as the DRM needs to be renewed every once a while... I had that happen many years ago when TANE was just new and it won't launch until it could access the DRM servers so I could launch the game. I manage to get myself the upgrade to box version while they were still being sold, but now it appears to had been pulled...

The page says currently out of stock, but I am wondering.... I originally bought T:ANE on DVDs from Amazon, and I have never had any indication it is DRM-free. It would not work at all until I figured out how to register the serial number online....

The page says currently out of stock, but I am wondering.... I originally bought T:ANE on DVDs from Amazon, and I have never had any indication it is DRM-free. It would not work at all until I figured out how to register the serial number online....

The easiest way of checking is looking in Trainz Settings. It's either on the Internet or Developer tabs that has a tickbox relating to disabling online features. If the box is present it's a DRM-free version (be aware though that that's only likely to be for the game itself - DLC uses it's own methods).

Shane

Back