Been away from Trainz since 2012. Looking for version help!

mdvee

Hi all, I had been pretty active in earlier versions of Trainz, even built a working model layout in TS2009 with yards, scenery and all that, upgraded to v2012 and just got out of it.

So, I'm back! And man, all these versions. I lurked here a bit, most of the threads with people like me looking to update are recommending TANE.

Basically like many here am a rail-fan and former model railroader, (also flight sim with FSX and X-plane) but just looking to run trains in the real world settings or model, I like it all. I have a Core7 WIN7 64 bit machine with 16 gig of ram, appropriate sound and video to run the new versions, but honestly am overwhelmed trying to pick out a version. Yes, seems "TANE" is the best choice to just have the options to do everything, then upgrade to 19 when it is ready? (If I am understanding this.)

I like the US stuff, and really just "play" more than run realistic loco simulation --- as in I prefer DCC control but still like the bells and whistles. (Pun intended). Would definitely get a first class ticket again to download more trains etc, I did that in 2009 as well.

Well anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. Alot has happened in 6 years! Or I have just been away too long!

Thanks - Mike

Last edited:
TS19 will set you back $70 at the moment TANE SP3 $30. I'd probably go with TS19 rather than spend $30 now and money on the upgrade later. My beta tester swears by TS19.

Cheerio John

TS19 is different than Tane in how it appears and you would need to relearn if you went from Tane to TS19. Start with TS19 and get used to the new set up.

Hi Mike, and welcome back.

TRS19 is a significant advance over all previous versions of Trainz. Providing you have a 'puter with the internals to run it I'd strongly recommend it. The shadows and lighting effects are, literally, light years in advance of T:ANE:

Routes and layouts. As a former model railroader you might be interested in these:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?148885-New-TRS19-layout-the-Phootnote-amp-Fourword

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ilroad-layout-The-Mann-Phrom-Laramee-Railroad

If you do decide on T:ANE there are several model layouts for this version on the Download Station. Search with "philskene" as the author.

Phil

Honestly, I'd go with TANE SP3 until TRS19 has all its bugs worked out. I'd also do the Deluxe edition of TANE as it comes with four extra routes and more content. I'd get it specifically for the model railroad included in it. Then get Trainz Model Railroad 2017 (TMR17), as all routes are model railroads, called Model Trainz or Model Railroadz in Trainz. I plan on buying TRS19 once I get a more powerful graphics card and when both all the bugs are worked out and a boxed edition comes out.

All sound advice and thanks! I'm thinking my system should be fine, I was out poking around those videos...All I can say is....WOW :udrool:. You figure my last real experiences were in TS9, and once I got 12 I did not use it much, sadly many hobby items waned in that period.

At any rate I just TODAY registered my TS2012. Scary eh?

I appreciate the thoughts, and will continue digging round!

Mike

All sound advice and thanks! I'm thinking my system should be fine, I was out poking around those videos...All I can say is....WOW :udrool:. You figure my last real experiences were in TS9, and once I got 12 I did not use it much, sadly many hobby items waned in that period.

At any rate I just TODAY registered my TS2012. Scary eh?

I appreciate the thoughts, and will continue digging round!

Mike

Welcome back, Mike.

Sadly waning hobbies seems to happen to many people and I'm glad you found Trainz again. :)

I've been here at least as long as you have and I all I'll say about TRS19 is WOW! Since I've started testing TRS19, I've hardly touched T:ANE at all and now using TRS19 exclusively. Once you go there, you never want to go back.

2018-09-22 003301.jpg

Here's an example shot from an early morning start on a recently released Jointed Rail route. Seeing this and you can feel the dew and chill in the air. Looking at the grass and plants, I expected to see those beads of moisture stuck to the leaves.

I'd also go with TANE right now due to issues with TRS2019,as in things looking way to shiny,green headlights/bumpers when there's supposed to be a reflection,and older routes (Pre-TRS2019 ones.) having bad lighting which is supposed to be fixed. But to me TRS2019 isn't very convincing right now,but of course with the system I run (Intel Pentium E5200 dual core 2.5GHZ,8GB of RAM,NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB.) I can't really use things like shadows,TurfFX,height mapping all at once,it's ether one of them or a different one. And TRS2019 is in early access,so I would wait for it to be officially released first. So go with TANE right now. But I might have said get TRS2019 instead of TANE if it wasn't for my horrifyingly slow PC.

I'd also go with TANE right now due to issues with TRS2019,as in things looking way to shiny,green headlights/bumpers when there's supposed to be a reflection,and older routes (Pre-TRS2019 ones.) having bad lighting which is supposed to be fixed. But to me TRS2019 isn't very convincing right now,but of course with the system I run (Intel Pentium E5200 dual core 2.5GHZ,8GB of RAM,NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB.) I can't really use things like shadows,TurfFX,height mapping all at once,it's ether one of them or a different one. And TRS2019 is in early access,so I would wait for it to be officially released first. So go with TANE right now. But I might have said get TRS2019 instead of TANE if it wasn't for my horrifyingly slow PC.

Headlight issue is fixed. See my PM?

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, and I haven't done it - yet, but a gold membership gets you BOTH.....

I'd go with TRSW19. I hav'nt used anythin else since Early Access was released.
BTW Welcome back. I also returned to Trainz early this year.

Thanks everyone, for the tips and the warm welcome! I'll check out that gold membership...

Just imported all my old assets from all the way back into 2012 and got it going. I honestly forget how enjoyable this thing is!

Mike

Well anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. Alot has happened in 6 years! Or I have just been away too long!
TANE was a big step into new technology, and like all such steps it took some time to settle down and get the bugs worked out. Also it carried a lot of baggage from earlier versions, but the latest beta is nice, and good value. TRS19 builds on the technology that was started with TANE, which is now quite stable, but extensive redesign means that the technology and the user experience are more closely matched. You can see the pattern - TS12 was stable and very usable, TANE was a step forward, but not as stable, and TRS19 is a refinement that is looking good. It's a pattern that closely follows what you have seen elsewhere - Windows 7/8/10, for instance.

Hi all, I had been pretty active in earlier versions of Trainz, even built a working model layout in TS2009 with yards, scenery and all that, upgraded to v2012 and just got out of it.

So, I'm back! And man, all these versions. I lurked here a bit, most of the threads with people like me looking to update are recommending TANE.

Basically like many here am a rail-fan and former model railroader, (also flight sim with FSX and X-plane) but just looking to run trains in the real world settings or model, I like it all. I have a Core7 WIN7 64 bit machine with 16 gig of ram, appropriate sound and video to run the new versions, but honestly am overwhelmed trying to pick out a version. Yes, seems "TANE" is the best choice to just have the options to do everything, then upgrade to 19 when it is ready? (If I am understanding this.)

I like the US stuff, and really just "play" more than run realistic loco simulation --- as in I prefer DCC control but still like the bells and whistles. (Pun intended). Would definitely get a first class ticket again to download more trains etc, I did that in 2009 as well.

Thanks - Mike

Well

my first choice would be TANE SP3 + Trainz Model Railroad 2017 (TMR17)
my second choice would be OpenRails with MSTS content

I would avoid to buy / subscribe to TS19 until it receives at least 3 SPs and a deep discount .

Well

I would avoid to buy / subscribe to TS19 until it receives at least 3 SPs and a deep discount .

Each to his own but OpenRails is dated and the breadth of content isn't there. MSTS content now that's really stepping back in time.

Cheerio John

Well

Have you tried TRS19? Sounds like not, yet you make ill informed judgments. To each his own, I guess.

Have you tried TRS19? Sounds like not, yet you make ill informed judgments. To each his own, I guess.

I think i already wasted enough money in the Trainz series during the years . Why should i purchase / or pay a monthly fee for an alpha or beta version ?

I think i already wasted enough money in the Trainz series during the years . Why should i purchase / or pay a monthly fee for an alpha or beta version ?
So you wasted money yet it seems you are still using Trainz ? Doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

Back