re-naming my Route

stockline

Hi All, Can anyone help ? I have Tranz 2006 (3099) I`m working on a route in surveyor a route which i have called " Planet Earth" , I`d like to re-name it with something like "My World" Is there a way to do that and if so HOW? ,I did at one stage (when it asked me to save ) Use the name `My World` but i cant find that on the Surveyor List .
Regards John, (aka stockline)

Hi All, Can anyone help ? I have Tranz 2006 (3099) I`m working on a route in surveyor a route which i have called " Planet Earth" , I`d like to re-name it with something like "My World" Is there a way to do that and if so HOW? ,I did at one stage (when it asked me to save ) Use the name `My World` but i cant find that on the Surveyor List .
Regards John, (aka stockline)

Hi John,

Try this....Open up the route in surveyor.....click on the surveyour menu top left hand corner and choose "Save As" follow the instructions rename your route and then close your route. Should now appear in the Surveyor list.

Paul

Hi Paul ,
Thanks for your help that worked, In Surveyor i now have `Planet Earth` and right undernath `My World` which is the name i want to change i to !.Can i delete the `planet earth` one or are they in some connected ?.
I`m a bit scared deleting it because about 18mths ago on a Tranz2004 route i was working on i did the same `save as` thing and when i deleted the old name it deleted both routes.
Regards John (stockline)

Hi Paul ,
Thanks for your help that worked, In Surveyor i now have `Planet Earth` and right undernath `My World` which is the name i want to change i to !.Can i delete the `planet earth` one or are they in some connected ?.
I`m a bit scared deleting it because about 18mths ago on a Tranz2004 route i was working on i did the same `save as` thing and when i deleted the old name it deleted both routes.
Regards John (stockline)

Hi John,

You should be able to delete the route you don't want without any problems......saying that I know how you probably feel :eek:

Before you do anything rash.....can I ask, does your original route have any driver sessions,? and if so, do you want to keep them?

What I would suggest is that in order to reassure yourself that everything will be OK.......just create yourself a simple one baseboard route with a single piece of track, one loco, one building and do a quick drive.....save it (AAAA).....reload it and save under a different name (BBBB) using "SaveAs"

Depending on if you save the route....as opposed to saving the session.....with a new name.....will decide if the new "Named Route" will have the original driver sessions.

Hope this make sense?

Paul

in reply to Paul

Driver sessions ? er not sure dont think so ? all i`ve done is lay down 3 seperate tracks added grass /trees houses etc But its not as simple as it sounds, I`ve put a lot of hours work into it over the last 12 months
There are 3 seperate tracks running round a circle equivalent to around 18 square miles in real life so you can see how much work has gone into it , anyway i reckon that idea of a simple test track /base board then re-naming it to see IF it deletes the lot is the best idea, will let you know how i get on .
Many thanks John (stockline)

I re-name routes I am building in Surveyor EVERY time I work on them. I use a system where the name is RouteName_yymmddX where the 'X' is 'a', 'b', 'c' etc. This system keeps the route saves in correct order in the menu and gives me a fall-back route if things seem to be going wrong. I keep saves for about a week if I am happy with developments, then I delete the oldest after saving the newest. I have never lost anything from a route by deleting an older version.

Andy :)

Last edited:
reply to Andy

Hi Andy ,
Yea thats a good idea might try that, Tonight i tried what Paul suggested ie creating a test route then re-naming it ,then deleting the old name from the surveyor list and it worked the new test name was still there and loaded up ok ! but even so being the paranoid type i`m going to save what i`ve created so far on to a CD just in case the worse happens before i re-name what i`ve worked on for months then i`ll delete the old name of my creation in
surveyor ,(not that i dont trust 2006 or the CMP etc hehe !!!!!)
GOD what a learning curve using Tranz is and has been but over all i still get a lot of pleasure from it .
regards John (stockline)

As a network administrator, I am a paranoid individual when it comes to such things as deleting data. Therefore, I make backups of everything prior to doing something drastic like renaming or deleting my route.

Using CMP, I export my route, and session as a CDP. This serves as my backup prior to poofing anything off to bit heaven. I've tested this, and it works fine. I backed up all of my assets to DVDs, deleted them, reloaded them, and then imported my deleted route from the CDP.

The alternative is to make a backup of the route using CMP, but the problem with that is the size of the backup. The backup will contain every asset used in the route; like every tree, building bird sound, etc. This can become a problem as the route grows because there have been reports of backup issues when the backup reaches 2.0Gig in size.

Having said that, I use the export to CMP.

John

Back