Preliminary report on 10/4/2018 UP train wreck west of Cheyenne, WY

Preliminary NTSB report: https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations...CudL1SJMCw9Eq56quQ2mkC9LgeGmTjleXi6DbcCTl_NyY

Brake failure for some, presently, unknown reason. Pretty interesting report.

Thank you for the Report,

I just finished reading it, definitely something amiss with Fred Device at the rear or some other mechanical failure, yet to be determined....Of course will need to be patient and see the end result is for this unfortunate incident.

This Crews action on the Radio with notification, saved the other Crews life.

The Holidays are near, so our Prayers go out to the Families of this departed Crew!

How ironic and sad. I didn't know this when I posted this thread.

A son of a friend of my family was killed in this wreck. I don't know the family but it is so sad for them.

Wow!

Very sad to read, Don.

This is quite an accident in an area I am familiar with, having traveled through there in June 2016.

Although we can't really come to conclusions without the complete evidence, from the reading I have an inkling that they need to check the electronics. By the sounds of it, the air pressure was working properly, however, the transponders and sensors don't sound like they were working correctly and responding too slow to the changes in pip pressure. As was said in the report, the NTSB investigators will be checking those components as well, and it will be interesting to read the final results when they are released.

Ron,

Sorry to here about the loss, it is never easy whether it is your family or close friends..........A virtual Prayer is sent to you and your Friend who has passed, I'm sure this next week with be difficult with the holiday............Peace be with you always........

Really makes you take a step back, and think about the world around us ... While us railfans are pleasurably having fun, running a Trainz game ... These guys are on the job risking (and sacrificing) their lives, controlling a 13,000 ton train, which is no easy task ... especially when everything mechanical goes completely wrong, and they were helpless to stop a runaway

The sadness of the whole thing kinda makes Trainz no fun

May they rest in peace ... and condolences to all the families and their friends

Back