Thread: PBR textures - unwanted shadows

Default PBR textures - unwanted shadows

Hi,
    After porting tracks to thge TRS19 standard I started to update my Viaduct System to the newest Trainz standards. So far so quite good but I faced a problem with shadows. The basic asset of the set is a bank which is part of almost every asset. It looks quite good but the problem starts when the bank wall meets the ground. Due to the fact the hight map of the bank texture makes it bumpy some parts which are in fact flat starts to behave like a flat obstacle which gives shadow to the ground. Initially I thought that this is because the groundtex is not PBR. So I painted the area with a PBR tex to see the same...

You can observe it on the above picture. Do you know how to spoil the unwanted and ugly tghing?

I faced it earlier when I wanted to prepare an oil leak for my tracks. I prepared a flat plane which had an oil leak with alpha channel so that the edges were not sharp. Of course I had to prepare the plane some centimeters above the ballast. The result was that the plane was giving shadow under itself in the shape of the plane... So I did something else - a multiplane mesh (something like a sanddrag but very shallow) and it also had this ugly effect on the edges like my banks vs ground tex.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Does the tag does-cast-shadows work?

does-cast-shadows 1 = casts shadows
    does-cast-shadows 0 = does not.

Just wondering. There are somethings like track, roads, and oily spots that shouldn't cast shadows underneath.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 90955

I was sure there is something like this! Will try in the evening, thanks! I guess not only Oil spots but also Road lines and arrows :-)

The good news is it works.
    The bad news it works on all shadows including the wanted ones (ie the bank is supposed to give shadow.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by samplaire View Post
    The good news is it works.
    The bad news it works on all shadows including the wanted ones (ie the bank is supposed to give shadow.
    The good news is good, but I can't think of any other way to do that except maybe attached meshes from a library rather than one piece. You can then specify whether the attached items themselves cast shadows within their own config files.

I'm not a content creator so I'm not sure this will work and just thinking outside the box a bit.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 90955