Can I drive myself but have Trainz set the junctions for me?

EHE

Hi,

I am having trouble in correctly setting junctions in a yard with a lot of junctions which are close together. I don't like to use drive to / navigate to in this case. Is there a command that I can use to do the driving myself but have Trainz set all junctions for me to reach the desired destination?

Thanks.

Eric

There is a rule, the Set Junctions Rule <kuid:-25:1065> which is built in to TANE that will do the job. This rule can be used at the start of a session (in the session editor) to set all the junctions ahead or can be set by a trigger at each location to set the junctions at each location as you move along.

Rule details can be found at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Session_Rule_List_with_Parameters#Set_Junctions_Rule

There is also a Wiki that deals with the topic of setting junctions in a session at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Control_Junctions_in_Sessions

Last edited:
Hi,

... . I don't like to use drive to / navigate to in this case. Is there a command that I can use to do the driving myself but have Trainz set all junctions for me to reach the desired destination?

Thanks.

Eric
Without a Drive to / Navigate to, how will Trainz know where you want to go and then set the junctions appropriately? I sometimes use the simple Drive command but first I have to set all the junctions manually or I might end up in some out of the way siding.

I go up and down the line on my route, and set all my turnouts the way that the normal flow of traffic would drive correctly without throwing switchs, and I place track directional markers with pointy ends facing towards oncoming trains, blocking an AI train from using a crossover, blocking AI selecting it's own desired path that it suddenly "thinks up" as the shortest route

Sometimes I just hit: "Drive" and my AI trainz follow all my orders

Last edited:
Hi,

I am having trouble in correctly setting junctions in a yard with a lot of junctions which are close together. I don't like to use drive to / navigate to in this case. Is there a command that I can use to do the driving myself but have Trainz set all junctions for me to reach the desired destination?

Thanks.

Eric
A simple question with a simple answer: No. How does the program knows where you want to go? Having said that, I kind of remember in the very early days, perhaps back to UTZ, that if you where at the entrance of a yard full of points, and you would click at a trackmark at the other end, all the points from here to there, would align properly so you could travel and pass safely. Haven't seen this "feature" for a long time. Perhaps some one knows what I am talking about. I think this could be the closest thing to what you are talking about.

A simple question with a simple answer: No. How does the program knows where you want to go? Having said that, I kind of remember in the very early days, perhaps back to UTZ, that if you where at the entrance of a yard full of points, and you would click at a trackmark at the other end, all the points from here to there, would align properly so you could travel and pass safely. Haven't seen this "feature" for a long time. Perhaps some one knows what I am talking about. I think this could be the closest thing to what you are talking about.

I vaguely remember something like that. It maybe a track rule of some kind perhaps?

Try the Trackview Rule by Klausm

<kuid2:39730:61000:2> TrackView Rule

http://www.malorny.de/vrails/dl-trainz.jsp

It's available from his own website even though he is no longer involved with Trainz.

You might have to repair the minor fault of a missing texture, missing thumbnail, but that's easy to do.

This is a session rule you add to the session, and is not a driver command.

With this rule loaded, you will see the route laid out in front of you in a transparent overlay. Track marks, signals, speed signs, and signals appear vertically along a path. Switches can be set for the driver or you to follow on the fly, and any opposing turnout (switch) will be red that blocks your path.

Using this rule, you could set your path up for yourself as you travel down through the yard. If the yard is small enough, you will see the complete path set to your track mark, aka destination and then drive to it as you need.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far. Sadly, none of them work for me: they don't provide the level of flexibility I am looking for. And the TrackView rule won't install.

With respect to the issue "how does the program know where I want to go" I was assuming that I could use some sort of "drive to" command, but without AI doing the actual driving...

Eric

Many thanks for the suggestions so far. Sadly, none of them work for me: they don't provide the level of flexibility I am looking for. And the TrackView rule won't install.

With respect to the issue "how does the program know where I want to go" I was assuming that I could use some sort of "drive to" command, but without AI doing the actual driving...

Eric

We tried anyway...

So what's wrong with the Track View Rule? I installed it in T:ANE and then imported it along with all my content into TRS19 where it still runs today.

If it's in a RAR archive you need to use WinRAR or similar to unpack it before installing. I can't remember if it is or not because I only have the CDP. The CDP should install fine by importing it into Content Manager, or by dragging and dropping it on the visible content screen.

There is an "Autodrive" command that will simply drive the train without setting any junctions ahead but it will still obey signals and speed limits. I often use this command to drive trains on routes where there is no other traffic and I have set all the necessary junctions ahead of the train, either manually or by the "Set Junctions Rule", and it work just fine. Otherwise you could manually drive the train yourself (but if you fall asleep then signals and speed limits will be ignored).

You could AI "Drive To" or "Drive Via" a named trackmarker, and it would throw turnouts ... then press "Stop Train" and then drive it manually ... IDK

Last edited:
I take it you do not want to actually just create your own session? Many sessions when run state that the switches are set to go, but then I am assuming the session creator set them all manually and then saved it. But at the least, if you did that, you would only have to do it once, and then they will be set the same way every time you run that session....

The Interlocking Tower rules (IT, EIT) will do this, but you have to install and set them up first. They allow you to create a variety of routes from a signal to a signal. If several routes originate at the same signal, the Driver Interface rule displays a menu of the available routes as you approach the signal, though you might have to stop short of the signal to access it.

That's fine, because it mimics what train crews actually do at yards that are NOT controlled from a tower/signal box.

You can use one of the invisible signals as a destination. If you yourself are driving, you can stop where you like.

There is a small learning curve to these but it can be gained in an evening.

There is also an associated rule to let you assign routes to AI trains.

:B~)

An interlocking tower asset and rule would achieve what you are after. You can select your route through the yard as you're driving once it's set up.

What would be nice is a HUD that shows the track ahead and the switches similar to the below. AND the ability to click on the switch arrows and throw them from INSIDE the cab.

The OP does have a valid point and it remains an inherent weakness of Trainz vs. the other sims. Last time this was raised in the run up to TRS2019 I'm fairly certain it was dismissed by the management as a "feature" request. A real driver on the main line does not have to concern himself with setting points and junctions as they go, or working out which points need to be switched to reach the desired location. Really needs to go higher than the "would be nice" list at N3V Towers.

AND the ability to click on the switch arrows and throw them from INSIDE the cab.
https://i.postimg.cc/YqB0G6vt/Hud-sample.jpg
Press J to throw switch's ahead ... or Alt J to throw switch's rear

In yards, the train stops, and the conductor dismounts, and he throws switch's ahead, one by one

Knowing the yard (like a conductor does, would help) and you could place temporary edited signs (or name the turnout arrows, ie: (EngineHouse - Turntable), to show you what tracks are what, until you learn the yard by heart

Last edited:
What would be nice is a HUD that shows the track ahead and the switches similar to the below. AND the ability to click on the switch arrows and throw them from INSIDE the cab.

{pic}

Nice graphic!

There is something available called the Trackview Rule.

From within the cab, the rule will show the upcoming signals, track marks, other consists, and switches. Any switch can be thrown along the way, and those that are set against the route, are shown in red. Clicking on the junctions in the view, sets them for the train. This rule is very useful for this kind of operation.

The built-in, as of TRS19, track profile can show the junction levers. In the earlier testing we could change the junctions as we drove along, but that feature is disabled currently and hopefully will be available again in the future.

Back