RTX 2080 Ti Early Life Failures

Been reading about this on the Geforce forums, not good news for Nvidia.
I was tempted but in view of the extortionate cost I'm sticking with my 1080TI, usually I leave it at least 9 months after a new release before thinking about upgrading anyway.

I also read the stories about the failures.

One article I read in conjunction with this issue made the statement that if you have the 1080TI you in fact may want to sit this new version out and wait for the next one. I have the 1080TI and it performs very well with maxed out settings in TRS2019. I have a laptop which has a 1080 card which also performs remarkable well with all settings maxed out. So I think I will probably skip the 2080TI. The good news is that this card will probably force done the prices on the 1080TI.

The early versions of a lot of things fall over pretty hard most of the time. That's why it's good to wait until the bugs are worked out. By the time the bugs are worked out, NVidia will have an RTX3080Ti at those ghastly high prices and the not so bad RTX2080Ti will cost far less.

With my GTX1080Ti, I get great results in TRS19 and other programs so I'm perfectly happy waiting as well.

My neighbors throw out tables and chairs, and a new LCD/LED TV bought the previous Christmas, right out into the trash truck it goes, they are filling the trash dump every year

Everything new, is not always better

Makes you wonder if you could fix all your electronics thrown out in the trash, just because of one teeny blown capacitor

Last edited:
Seems it's not just Founder Editions or just 2080TIs.

Does appear to be a rather worse problem than you usually get with new hardware though, especially given the extremely high cost.
According to one or two tech sites and a couple of geeks on the Nvidia forums it's possibly related to the default clock speeds being to high for the GDDR6 to handle, apparently the Founders Edition ordered from Nvidia are actually assembled by third party companies are mainly the ones failing, although Asus, MSI and Zotac have had non FE cases as well. Even worse is it seems that replacements are also failing!

Can't help wondering if to get the "large gains" over the 10xx cards, they haven't turned up the wick too much.

My neighbors throw out tables and chairs, and a new LCD/LED TV bought the previous Christmas, right out into the trash truck it goes, they are filling the trash dump every year

Everything new, is not always better

Makes you wonder if you could fix all your electronics thrown out in the trash, just because of one teeny blown capacitor

Well , its sad to see that this is happening even in "Antarctica" , is no place safe from dumping ? :)

Next year I am hoping the finances stretch to a new self build system with should Nvidia follow previous series of GPU's perhaps a 2070 Ti in mind, I don't think I'd ever get as far as the 2080's. However such failures beg the question for how long GPU's can be made more powerful yet be kept in the same package and still dissipate the associated heat etc. With CPU and bangs for bucks as a major consideration I don't ever recall going for the most powerful when building but stuck with proven last years technology hence would likely choose an i7 8700K over an i9 which in reality is still overkill for Trainz. Trainz as we all appreciate is however graphic hungry but as someone who prefers building routes in preference to driving them and where fps is less important, from the above comments and the fact that here in the UK they have dropped considerably in price perhaps the 1080 Ti would be a much wiser buy. Peter

Next year I am hoping the finances stretch to a new self build system with should Nvidia follow previous series of GPU's perhaps a 2070 Ti in mind, I don't think I'd ever get as far as the 2080's. However such failures beg the question for how long GPU's can be made more powerful yet be kept in the same package and still dissipate the associated heat etc. With CPU and bangs for bucks as a major consideration I don't ever recall going for the most powerful when building but stuck with proven last years technology hence would likely choose an i7 8700K over an i9 which in reality is still overkill for Trainz. Trainz as we all appreciate is however graphic hungry but as someone who prefers building routes in preference to driving them and where fps is less important, from the above comments and the fact that here in the UK they have dropped considerably in price perhaps the 1080 Ti would be a much wiser buy. Peter

That's a wise decision. Whenever I've upgraded, I have always gone with the best hardware I can afford at the time, within reason of course, and always with the tried and true hardware rather than the absolutely latest and greatest. The reason for this is to ensure I have a decent return on my hardware investment for at least three to five years out of my purchase.

I avoid those absolutely latest and greatest hardware purchases because of two reasons. First of all the hardware being at the beginning of the curve hasn't been perfected yet. There are going to be various internal bugs within the chips as well as overall quality leading low yields and the highest prices. As the manufacturer continues to produce the chips, each and every stepping version usually becomes better quality and therefore more stable. For CPUs and GPUs this means they are more tolerant of over-clocking for those that do that, and for us that don't it means better stability and lower prices. Getting a later model rather than the earlier release of any chip will mean that your system overall will be more stable and less prone to weird problems such as those experienced by the current RT series.

And finally, yes, the price. As the manufacturers come out with their next latest and greatest product, their older ones drop in price in part due to the better chip manufacturing processes. This for us is the best because we get the best, most stable versions, of their hardware while those that want to go for that truly bleeding edge and pay for that both in higher prices and lower stability.

Choosing what I can afford at the time means I will spec out not the fastest most expensive processor and video card, but I will base one on both future needs as well as overall use. I never base my system on a single program, but on what I will use the system for. My Intel 5930K maybe an overkill for Trainz along with my 64 GB of RAM, but I also use my machine for some audio and video editing, database management, and 3d-modeling. The Extreme series works internally similar to a Xeon, but at a much lower price within the budget I set at the time.

This decision also goes into play when I'm specifying a system for someone else. I wouldn't recommend an RT2xxxx and an i9 along with 64 GB of RAM for someone who only plays on the internet. Some people, however, will buy such a machine for that because they can. This isn't unlike those that will buy a Steinway Model D concert grand because they've had 6 months of piano lessons. If they've got the $125K to spend on a piano like that so be it, and these are the same people who also buy the super fast computers to play Solitaire and Bubble Witch online.

I'm thinking of a graphics upgrade as a Christmas present to myself. My machine is only 3 months old and I have a 1070ti. I was thinking of going SLI and adding a second 1070ti. How does Trainz do with SLI?

Hello,

I worked as an electronics technician for 25 years (Mostly television and stereos). Any thing can be repaired as long as parts are available. Maybe your neighbors are technocrats that always have to have the newest tech as soon as it comes out.

The main change on the new cards is the fact that they bring ray tracing into consumer computers, where before it was only available to professionals for making movies. Ray tracing is a form of rendering light in such a way as to make a virtual scene look more realistic. I believe the folks at N3V Games is working towards that goal with their new lighting technique in TRS19. It will be awhile before ray tracing becomes common in games.

Jacob

Last edited:
Back