Garrard Pass - WIP

The city of Paxson where the 1.6% grade ends for eastbound trains and increases to a 1.8% incline just past the east end of Paxson Siding. Westbound trains have a decline from a 1.8% drop in grade to running flat throughout Paxson before descending a lighter 1.6% gradient. Here are some photos.
OLqPR4P.jpg
5OyTdZv.jpg
WBDKVz7.jpg
2hCd5II.jpg

You've obviously been very busy as it does look very expansive.

Do you not get a bit overwhelmed adding all the extra detail associated with a large city......you know streetlights,road signs,road markings,parked cars,people etc.

I find this part the most time consuming.

You've obviously been very busy as it does look very expansive.

Do you not get a bit overwhelmed adding all the extra detail associated with a large city......you know streetlights,road signs,road markings,parked cars,people etc.

I find this part the most time consuming.

It can be depending on how detailed oriented (OCD) you are. I procrastinate a lot so that's why it takes me so long. So rather than cram a lot in a one time I pace myself to prevent getting overwhelmed. Plus that's actually a rather small city. I've done one twice that size and much more detail. So actually this is rather easygoing for me.

I'm going to do a test run to make sure everything is working properly. I'll upload it once I'm done.
You started constructing your route on Oct 27th .. It's now just a mere 4 days later ... I seriously doubt that the route is ready for distribution ... After 1 to 6 years it may be complete enough, worthy of distribution

It can be depending on how detailed oriented (OCD) you are. I procrastinate a lot so that's why it takes me so long. So rather than cram a lot in a one time I pace myself to prevent getting overwhelmed. Plus that's actually a rather small city. I've done one twice that size and much more detail. So actually this is rather easygoing for me.

I get where you are coming from regarding the OCD......I have to admit i'm guilty of that regarding foreground detail.I'm not a serious trainzer by any means but I can't help giving my foreground a bit of attention.Then again I build tram routes only so a lot of urban detail is required.

Your unattention to foreground detail over a large expanse is to be marvelled at.Procrastination at it's best.

Listen, I love your work.....keep them coming......regards hotgrove.

Last edited:
You started constructing your route on Oct 27th .. It's now just a mere 4 days later ... I seriously doubt that the route is ready for distribution ... After 1 to 6 years it may be complete enough, worthy of distribution

That’s where you’re wrong. I determine when MY route is ready to be released. While my first post was on October 27, that’s NOT when I started building it. Furthermore, I’m doing testing throughout all phases of my route building to ensure that the crossings actually work, any glaring deficiencies are corrected so that when it’s time to release and play I know that everything is in working order and not scrambling around to make changes, deleting and reuploading my release. So I’m actually nowhere close to being done thank you very much.

Well from my first progress report everything was okay for the most part. Just a few things need some fine tuning. A small patch of baseboard was left untouched and a few rough patches in the tracks need to be addressed as well. The operational evaluation clearly demonstrates that four GE C40-8Ws on the point and two helpers on the rear still left the train vastly under-powered for the train movement. So better distribution of motive power throughout the train will be vital going forward. So more powerful 4,400 horsepower locomotives and more units at the head end of the train, either five or six will be the norm here on out and some rear and even mid-train helpers as well. Now depending on how I feel I might take a couple days off and enjoy my other routes that I have and get back to work on the weekend.

The operational evaluation clearly demonstrates that four GE C40-8Ws on the point and two helpers on the rear still left the train vastly under-powered for the train movement. So better distribution of motive power throughout the train will be vital going forward. So more powerful 4,400 horsepower locomotives and more units at the head end of the train, either five or six will be the norm here on out and some rear and even mid-train helpers as well.
How long are the trains, and how steep is the gradient ?

How long are the trains, and how steep is the gradient ?

The gradient for this segment is 1.6% with a few spots greater or lesser than but that’s the standard for the section I just completed. Now as the train is concerned I used 100 cars consisting of boxcars, tankers, gondolas, hoppers, centerbeam, and bulkheads. Not all had loads as I had AI randomly select cars to fill per instant load command rule.

Back