Essex Steam Train route - mine

rwk

I started my own version of this route, with a DEM, but it will have some of Gandalf’s (Mike’s) buildings in it from his route. So it will probably be for my own use. Right now, I plan to do Essex to Deep River and possibly to Old Saybrook. The DEM ends north of Essex (it is a blank route by Smooz) so the rest of it will be done by hand. I added blank baseboards to the edge of the DEM and the elevation is very close. No deep cliff. Here is a shot of Essex.

44884557_10215974141123025_1475440619022188544_o.jpg

That will be a nice route when it's completed. Extending the line up towards Middletown would be great. You could then run through freights that interchange with the Providence and Worcester in Old Saybrook and Connecticut Southern in Middletown, or whoever runs that line now up there.

It's nice to see New England routes being modeled instead of yet another run across the Midwest. We're so under represented when it comes to railroading as if we're in a forgotten place. :)

In the future, try taking a screen shot by pressing the print screen key. The image will be a lot clearer than a mobile phone picture.

Yeah, there is a Trainz 2010 route by Gandalf at Trainz Commuter Rail but I'm making a new one that will have TANE compatible assets (his route had some missing, unlocatable and broken assets). Also this DEM has more of the Amtrak line in it and more of the highways like I-95, and the highway that runs past Essex. And I'm not using any really old roads or track, roads will probably mostly be yarn roads, and track the LRW procedural track. I flattened the land around Essex Station to make it easier to build the station area, parking lot, engine shed, and side tracks. If I ever finish it and if I wanted to upload it somewhere, would I need Gandalf's permission since I'm using his buildings in my route? He made those buildings specifically for his route.

You don't have to ask for permission regarding the route because it's your own creation, however, you do need to ask for permission to upload the custom assets.

I would have smoothed the terrain as well around the yard and station area. This is the only way to get the tracks to work and look right, and in particular the only way to avoid errors with the pro-track other than those caused by too tight a radius for switches. Unlike in real life, we also have to deal with most buildings not being embedded in the ground, and we don't need floating buildings and other assets!

I too use the YARN roads and LRW track. I like how the YARN and relations fit well on the ground and don't float above like the paper strip roads. The LRW track looks quite nice, although, the sleepers are a bit spread out for US standards. The thinner rail, however, does make the track look a bit older. You might want to customize some of the track to create sidings and other poor condition track for those under used places that get overgrown or rust over. Using some simple techniques, you can create variations that will suit your needs. I can help you with that if you wish. You would need permission, however, to include your customized assets your route so keep that in mind if you want to do that.

Is it ok though to upload a route that just references custom assets made by others and I didn’t actually upload the assets? Whoever downloads the route would need to download the assets separately since they are from a third party site. But modified trains are another issue. If I reletter a CNJ coach and DL&W Boonton coach from K&L Trainz into Connecticut Valley, I wouldn’t be able to release them because they came from a payware pack. And I doubt that he would grant permission since he is pretty strict on redistributing his content. I could also reletter similar coaches by Colorado71 since they are freeware. Is there a freeware 4 axle steel heavyweight coach out there with see through windows and seats, and closed vestibules? Magicland’s were very basic, with no see through windows or interior. Whitepass made better ones with see through windows and interior but only in longer six axle versions. Oh, PWeiser has some with 4 axles and transparent windows and seats and an interior camera view.

Last edited:
If the assets are on the DLS you don't need permission. The only thing you can't do is upload content by others from third party sites. If you use third party assets put a link in the description so people can find them. If you change the asset in any wat you cant upload them without permission even if they are freeware. Check the config file to see if alterations can be made.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I clone assets for modifying they then appear under my ID. Some creators are more liberal than others. Some config files say no sharing or uploading period, others say feel free to modify as you wish and upload. Also the steam locos from Subpar, made by Ben Neal are pretty much fair game to reskin and upload. Payware however is forbidden to upload anywhere unless the creator gives you permission which likely won’t happen.

Last edited:
Back