I need YOUR opinion on a route I'm working on

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
So I'm working on the original Highland Valley by bringing it up to TANE standards. Now I've come to a problem that I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to do. The ground textures are old and out of date, so I'm trying to decide if I should replace the textures or not. The problem with that is that if I replace the textures, I feel that the route would lose the ability for people to recognize that it as the original Highland Valley. I've already made it lose some of its originality by deleting the steel mill and flatten the area to replace it with an industrial area. I've also replaced the old track with procedural track, bridges and tunnels, switchstands, roundhouse, several trackside buildings, the roads with YARNish roads, trees with speedtrees, the mines with industry-interactive mines, and the stations with industry-interactive depots. The next thing I'm doing is replacing the old buildings with newer buildings and the old railroad crossings with TRC crossings. So, my question is should I proceed with replacing the original ground textures with newer, up-to-date textures, or leave the original textures? Any opinions will be appreciated.

If you're going to bring it up to TANE standards, then bring it up to TANE standards all the way. Leave some notes in the download description about it being an upgrade to the original HV if you're worried it won't be recognized.

Given how long it's been around, I'm sure it will still be recognizable.

So I'm working on the original Highland Valley by bringing it up to TANE standards. Now I've come to a problem that I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to do. The ground textures are old and out of date, so I'm trying to decide if I should replace the textures or not. The problem with that is that if I replace the textures, I feel that the route would lose the ability for people to recognize that it as the original Highland Valley. I've already made it lose some of its originality by deleting the steel mill and flatten the area to replace it with an industrial area. I've also replaced the old track with procedural track, bridges and tunnels, switchstands, roundhouse, several trackside buildings, the roads with YARNish roads, trees with speedtrees, the mines with industry-interactive mines, and the stations with industry-interactive depots. The next thing I'm doing is replacing the old buildings with newer buildings and the old railroad crossings with TRC crossings. So, my question is should I proceed with replacing the original ground textures with newer, up-to-date textures, or leave the original textures? Any opinions will be appreciated.

Might as well give it the full blown update. I still have a version of the Highland Valley that I was adding on to and I might eventually bring it up to TRS19.

Hi jordon --

My advice -- T:ANE is history. It will die very quickly because TRS19 is just so much better. Bin your T:ANE update and do it in TRS19 instead. And use the new TRS19 track, the new PBR textures and TurfFX.

Phil

Highland Valley TRS19

Might as well give it the full blown update. I still have a version of the Highland Valley that I was adding on to and I might eventually bring it up to TRS19.
Hi Chuck,
Have you or anyone else you know of created a Highland Valley for TRS2019.
Cheers
Allen -- new user!

Hi jordon --

My advice -- T:ANE is history. It will die very quickly because TRS19 is just so much better. Bin your T:ANE update and do it in TRS19 instead. And use the new TRS19 track, the new PBR textures and TurfFX.

Phil

I don't understand, TRS19 is wip, alot of things must be done before it will be stable and accurate enough.

I don't understand, TRS19 is wip, alot of things must be done before it will be stable and accurate enough.

You could say that about every version of Trainz that has ever been released - even TANE is a work in progress as it is still waiting for SP4 to be released. TANE will be a WIP until it reaches the end of its support life.

So, what you are really saying is don't do any work, don't create any routes, in TRS19 until after it reaches its end of support date!

Back