Thread: PBR - ambient occlusion and roughness in TRS19 97420

Default PBR - ambient occlusion and roughness in TRS19 97420

After many tries and experimenting I tried the Extreme settings for both black and white for AO and Roughness to see literally NO difference in the light (ground texture) metallicity and emissive work. Can anybody confirm it? If so how can I check how my tracks will look when it will be implemented?

now in the latest beta 97420 it is impossible. More. When you set the sun to a particular moment everything look like oiled...

United States of America, California, Del Mar

What does your "extreme" AO map look like? Generally you're going to see AO show in indirect lighting. Try setting your roughness to completely black and a metallic channel to completely white. You should definitely see a difference.
    Creator of TRS19 QR PB15
    Admin of: https://www.sodorworkshops.com/

OK, indeed when you set roughness to black you have a wet surface. BUT when you set roughness to all white this is not rough, it still refects light...
    RED=0
    GREEN=1
    BLUE=1
    a=0

And with the same setting but the sun at 18.00 (and you look against the sun) you have all polished...
    RED=0
    GREEN=1
    BLUE=1
    a=0

RED=0
    GREEN=1
    BLUE=0
    a=0

Indeed, when you set AO to black, you have this when the sun is on 18:00

So my concern is about roughness. Is it or not. How to set it to see things rough?

-----
    Legend:
    0-black, 1-white, all is about the parameters file. AND all is about the brown (well, dark grey) ground texture.

Do you have a normal/height map for the ballast? I think this would fix your issue you have with the roughness in the first shot. You could try setting the metallic to be slightly brighter than solid black, I did this before and got a better look.
    Creator of TRS19 QR PB15

Yes, normal+hight maps are present. I guess without it the terrain would have looked flat. I’ll check the non black metallic channel (parameters alpha channel), thank you!

How intense is the height map? It doesn't look that intense, unless it's the angle causing it to look flat. The height should be able to hide some of that weird rough look.
    Creator of TRS19 QR PB15

Both the track and the groundtex are on DLS now. Ballast is called SAM Ballast 18