Tips for tree substituting

boc61

I've brought a few TS12 routes into TANE and am starting to swap out the trees. For some, like some of McGuirel's Ultra trees I can just go by description and find a substitute fairly easily. Not so easy for some of the others as the descriptions aren't very...descriptive. How do you guys handle tree swapping?

I've brought a few TS12 routes into TANE and am starting to swap out the trees. For some, like some of McGuirel's Ultra trees I can just go by description and find a substitute fairly easily. Not so easy for some of the others as the descriptions aren't very...descriptive. How do you guys handle tree swapping?

Hunt and try, mostly. Clam1952 has an extensive variegated series of billboard trees. Types are numbered with suffix from a to ... in increasing size, but again you have to look at them to see what they are. dmdrake's trees are accurately illustrated in the thumbnails; some of them work in TANE, some are kind of ghostly. Better in TANE than in 12, though. Toxabatoxa has some nice evergreen splines and bushes; they start with tb_ .

:B~)

Hi

I use the speedtrees by rmm as he has the same set for both v5 (TS12) and v6 (Tane). This means that they can be swapped in TS12 and the TS12 v5 rmm trees will update to v6 automatically when the route is put into Tane.

In TS12 I created a single vegetation board with any of rmm's TS12 trees and shrubs on it that I think will be useful. This board can then be merged with any route that needs the trees updating. A tree that needs replacing can be placed on the vegetation board to make it easier to find a comparable rmm tree or shrub. Once they are all swapped I then delete the vegetation board from the route. I've used this method to swap all of the trees on most of JR's routes and also on dermmy's routes that interest me and it doesn't take too long to complete one, depending on the number of different tree and shrub types used.

I've also found that the updated routes can be put straight into TRS19 without much difficulty which is important for compatibility, or at least until speedtrees are updated again at some future date.

Regards

Brian

Here's a list of most of the RMM trees. He's added a few more recently, Siren is one off the top of my head, and a couple of others which work very nicely.

Code:
[TABLE="width: 0, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD][B]Russian[/B][/TD]
[TD][B]English[/B][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Akacia[/TD]
[TD]Acacia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Buk[/TD]
[TD]Beech[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bereza[/TD]
[TD]Birch[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dt[/TD]
[TD]Dead tree[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dub[/TD]
[TD]Oak[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Egevika[/TD]
[TD]Blackberry[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Elka[/TD]
[TD]Christmas tree (spruce or pine?)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Evkalipt[/TD]
[TD]Eucalypt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Grusha[/TD]
[TD]Pear[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ingir[/TD]
[TD]Fig[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Iva[/TD]
[TD]Willow[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Katalpa[/TD]
[TD]Catalpa[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kashtan[/TD]
[TD]Chestnut[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kedr[/TD]
[TD]Cedar[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kiparis[/TD]
[TD]Cypress[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Klen[/TD]
[TD]Maple[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kust[/TD]
[TD]Bush[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Lavr[/TD]
[TD]Laurel[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Lipa[/TD]
[TD]Linden[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Magnolia[/TD]
[TD]Magnolia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mandarin[/TD]
[TD]Mandarin[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Oleandr[/TD]
[TD]Oleander[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Oreh[/TD]
[TD]Walnut[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Osina[/TD]
[TD]Aspen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Persik[/TD]
[TD]Peach[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Platan[/TD]
[TD]Plane[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Riabina[/TD]
[TD]Rowan (or Ashberry)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sosna[/TD]
[TD]Pine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Topol[/TD]
[TD]Poplar[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Vinograd[/TD]
[TD]Grape vine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Vyaz[/TD]
[TD]Elm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Yablonya[/TD]
[TD]Apple[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

John

If RMM has added more speedtrees that have names not yet on the list in this thread here, are they on the DLS?

I searched, but cannot find them using TANE-SP3 Content Manager and I'd like to update that list.

~ Deane

Last edited:
On the subject of substituting rmm trees for profig trees, does anyone happen to have a profig to rmm cross reference? I'd like to get JR's Midwest Grain TANE compatible, and the trees are an obvious problem. Or, if some has another way of getting the route TANE compatible, I'm all ears. The route seems to work just fine in TANE, except for the missing trees and some ground textures. Thank you!

If you check the link in the my previous post, it takes you to a table with both RMM and Pofig tree names listed against their English meanings. At least that might be a start, but of course there are other attributes like tree height and physical appearance to consider.

John

If RMM has added more speedtrees that have names not yet on the list in this thread here, are they on the DLS?

I searched, but cannot find them using TANE-SP3 Content Manager and I'd like to update that list.

~ Deane

Deane,

I got some from the DLS, and others came down with DLC.

The three that I remember are Olha, Siren, and Yasen. I don't know what they are but they fit well. The Siren is a flowering bush like Oleander. The others are smallish thin trees which are great for gardens and along streets. I use the Yasen for new housing developments because the trees are scrawny.

If you check the link in the my previous post, it takes you to a table with both RMM and Pofig tree names listed against their English meanings. At least that might be a start, but of course there are other attributes like tree height and physical appearance to consider.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

This will help as well.

Here are some of the acronyms for Pofig's trees.

Gr - grass
K, Ks, Kt - "куст" - "bush"
B - "берёза" - "birch"
Db - "дуб" - "oak-tree"
D - "дерево" - "tree"
E, El - "ель" - "fir-tree"
S - "сосна" - "pine tree"
Kl - "клён" - "maple"
T - "туя" - "thuja"

subname d - "дальнее" - "for using in background"

This will help as well.

Here are some of the acronyms for Pofig's trees.

Gr - grass
K, Ks, Kt - "куст" - "bush"
B - "берёза" - "birch"
Db - "дуб" - "oak-tree"
D - "дерево" - "tree"
E, El - "ель" - "fir-tree"
S - "сосна" - "pine tree"
Kl - "клён" - "maple"
T - "туя" - "thuja"

subname d - "дальнее" - "for using in background"

Yasen (Ash) and all of those are all already in the table in my thread. Olha and Siren are new. So far I haven't been able to find any sensible translation...

If you have any more in future, please add a post to that thread to alert me. Otherwise it's a bit random as to whether I see it.

Last edited:
Back