Seasonal ground Cover - snow at different elevations?

I remember playing with 'snow' in TS12 and it did not 'collect' on the ground. TANE was supposed to be the end all for environment and physics, yet they missed the mark on the snow again. TRS19 was yet another level higher with 'turf' and such, but the snow still dont work right.

So be it. We all must move on. But with TRS19, I think it's long enough that the 'environment' should become a reality.... It's not a bug, it's just something that was not high enough on the list of things to make happen.

Can we make this one happen please? I like to be able to travel from sun, clear and dry, to miserable snow and sleet. It makes it just so much more real.

@Dinorius_Redundicus
Thanks for posting those screenshots, that illustrates the issue clearly. I also think it is a bit lame that it wont be fixed in T:ANE.... also a worry that it only 'should' be resolved in TRS 2019!? I'm on the fence about TRS 2019, it's a lot of cash and issues like this put me off.

looks like I opened a can of worms

What a great conversation. The May 5th post by
Dinorius_Redundicus is a very clear description of the problem.

Seasonal splines/track work properly and show snow at the snow line elevation set in the environmental settings. No bug.
Seasonal ground covers and objects do not work properly. They only show snow when elevation is set to zero or negative ie binary. Bug

So snow is binary either on or off. The snow line elevation setting looks goofy as the track has snow and ground cover doesn't.

Guess I will need to convert to TRS2019 before next winter.

What a great conversation. The May 5th post by
Dinorius_Redundicus is a very clear description of the problem.

Seasonal splines/track work properly and show snow at the snow line elevation set in the environmental settings. No bug.
Seasonal ground covers and objects do not work properly. They only show snow when elevation is set to zero or negative ie binary. Bug

So snow is binary either on or off. The snow line elevation setting looks goofy as the track has snow and ground cover doesn't.

Guess I will need to convert to TRS2019 before next winter.

Apparently not clear enough. :) Correct statements are;

Seasonal splines/track and objects work properly and show snow at the snow line elevation set in the environmental settings. No bug.

Seasonal ground covers (textures) do not work properly. They only show snow when elevation is set to zero or negative. Bug.

I'm so confused...

Me too! I am getting snow for a few ground textures at low elevations, even though I have my snow line set at 3000 m. I have it set high because the route is a subtropical island, and in the tropics/subtropics snow would only appear for brief periods at this high an elevations. I wish also to register a protest on the whole season thing relative to the tropics. I live in the tropics/subtropics and can tell you that we do not experience spring and fall, and none of the asset changes to vegetation associated with seasonality. There needs to be a third control on seasonality taking latitude into account. Below 3000 m, snow and bare trees do not follow the hemispheric representations of seasonality as expressed in TS19. Trees are never bare; some briefly loose most of the leaves in response to a dry season that is unrelated to "winter" or "summer". Certainly that is true in Queensland? Right now I will attempt to control these odd manifestations by switching my latitude setting back and forth from plus to minus to simulate perpetual summer.

I live where there is snow in the winter and lots of it. In 2014 we had 1 meter of snow every week for the whole season. This mounted up to over 90 meters of snow by the end of the season. I say meters because every Wednesday, we had 39-inches of snow! We had so much of it, that Boston had 100 foot piles they couldn't get rid of. For me we had so much, I couldn't see out the end of my driveway, and had to back straight backwards due to the deep canyons caused by the snowbanks.

With that said, I set my seasons to be perpetually early-mid July. There are a couple of reasons why I do this. First of all, I hate the white stuff that turns to a sloppy grey mash by the time spring rolls around. Living with it all my life, getting stuck, having a car accident due to idiots speeding, getting stuck in traffic for hours because people are afraid to drive with only an inch on the ground, and the fact that it occurs during the cold, dark time of year makes it a season I want to avoid.

Secondly, it doesn't look right. It looks like bad white paint over lumpy plaster if we're lucky. It's too clean, bright, and sparkly, and it's too thick on the trees. This latter point was brought up in another thread. If we have any storms with that thick a snow coverage, we're surely going to lose our lights. That clumpy snow means heavy, wet, slushy, warm stuff that does a lot of damage.

I avoid the autumn too, but that's because the trees look gross. No matter how hard the tree creators try, the trees don't look that way in the fall so in the end, I run things at a perpetual North America region in July and I like it that way.

;) Well there sure was a good Snow discussion here,

It seems, some have more than they ever needed or wanted, IE Boston where my In-Laws reside in the Summer, and heck no in the Winter, they are traveling Sun Birds LOL.

And then there are those living in the Tropics who never see Snow, other than it be on a large mountain top on Rare Occasion of freaky Jet Stream changes....LOL

But in trainz world, it is not quite the same, depending on what version of Trainz you have.

:cool: Thank you for Salient points on proper Snow Settings for TRS-19,, I won't need to be concerned with TS-12 any longer, and I do hope there is some resolution for those users with their Snow Issues.......:D

On a side note, it would be great if we get some more Rain out here in California, our Forest Fires have already started, not 2 weeks into Summer, not good for us, and in the Central Part of US, heck of lot of Tornado and nasty Gulf Storms working overtime with copious amounts of Moisture...Not a balanced dynamic any way u slice it....Floods in Central area, and extreme dryness in Pacific Coast.....Now if we just adjust our Weather Patterns.......

Have great Holiday all.........:wave:

Back