Brake problems

cofergus

I'm encountering some odd and annoying brake behaviour when driving North American diesels (haven't tested it on other units).

1. Initial reduction does nothing. The BP pressure drops to 86# as expected (actually, it should be 84#, but I digress) but no pressure builds in the brake cylinders.

2. 20% application drops the BP pressure to 80#, but 20# builds in the cylinders. 90-80 = 10, not 20. I haven't checked yet if there's other discrepancies between the BP pressure and BC pressure.

3. When I stop a train with brakes applied, I immediately lose control of the locomotive. I get the "This train is not under player control" for 5-10 seconds, then get control back with the reverser in neutral and brakes fully applied. What gives? This makes basic shunting operations a royal PITA since it's not uncommon to have an initial set and push the cars around.

I'm assuming #1 is a bug, but I'm not sure about the other 2.

Last edited:
I would report this all as a bug. The pipe and reservoir readings need to be adjusted and the operation needs to be fixed. Losing control while braking and stopping is not safe!

I'm encountering some odd and annoying brake behaviour when driving North American diesels (haven't tested it on other units).

Thanks for the report (although as John says, submit a bug report here: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu)

Since every loco [potentially] has a different engine spec, please include KUIDs of the units you are testing.

Also, when stopping, are you within the control area of an industry? It could be the industry script taking over.

Last edited:
Hi Cofergus
In addition to Tony's reply, could you also provide a little detail on #3.

3. When I stop a train with brakes applied, I immediately lose control of the locomotive. I get the "This train is not under player control" for 5-10 seconds, then get control back with the reverser in neutral and brakes fully applied. What gives? This makes basic shunting operations a royal PITA since it's not uncommon to have an initial set and push the cars around.

When this occurs, is the train located on top of an industry or passenger station? You should be able to check this by enabling the 'industry' option for the track profile part of the HUD, or by viewing the map view (with industry names turned on). Industry and station objects will take control of the train to perform loading/unloading (if nothing is able to be loaded/unloaded, then this will be for a few seconds - if something is able to be loaded/unloaded then this will depend on how long the industry was configured to take to load/unload the traincars).

Regards

Back