Railroads that need more rolling stock in Trainz

peepsight

Hello just started this to see if it might interest some content makers to focus on some of the least seen railroads and their rolling stock . A few' i think of these Tennessee Central, Central of Georgia. Nashville Chattanooga & St. Louis, Gulf Mobile and Ohio. I am sure there are many more that others are looking for. Now before some one starts saying go make them or you want something for nothing I assure yo u i have bought a fair amount of payware from several different creators . I wish i was as skilled as some o f you are in making content but i am not . I hope this thread might give someone ideas for making new content please feel free to add you r thoughts an d railroads.:)

I've always felt there was a dearth of passenger equipment in Trainz. I imagine some of this is due to the fact that it is more labor intensive than freight cars. There is some good Amtrak stuff that while older, still works well. I'd like to see updated Amtrak equipment of all types, as well as the eastern roads up to the creation of Conrail.

I'm not a creator either and like you I am happy to spend money on high quality content.

I just don't tell my wife.

peep -

A suggestion. Search the Net for the AAR Reporting Marks. You will find, for example, that the Reporting Mark for the Central of Georgia is "CG".

rgcx is a prolific uploader of rolling stock.
If you use Manage Content to search the Download Station for Name = "CG" / Category = "Rolling Stock" / Author = "rgcx" you will find a couple of box cars.

Phil

The railroads of the south that I can think of that fall in this department despite trying to fill the void are the southern, Atlanta and West Point, Savannah and Atlanta and the Western railway of Alabama is in need of some as well.

I think there are two levels of effort here. The first and by far the hardest is the actual creation of the cars in the 3D apps. the second is the ability to reskin an existing model. That is not near as hard or time consuming. Granted it still involves a certain level of knowledge but nothing like learning Blender. I think I brought up a related topic in another thread about having a new version of "Paint Shop". The basic ability to take an existing piece of rolling stock or motive power and reskin it. It would even help if there were a new series of YouTube vids to get folks started. The ones that are out there now are a little old and not that easy to follow. Someone may know a good one so please link it. I was thinking about something like what N3V does for track laying and layout building. Nice and basic but easy to follow and riff off of. I'll say it again, the easier they make this the more people will start to get the skill set and the more content will get created.

The old Paintshed was fun. Sure it was limited, but it let someone try their hand at some reskinning before moving into more complicated image manipulation. Plus, some people did a lot with just Paintshed back then. An updated, entry level reskin utility would be a great addition.

For the Northwest, I would love to see updated Northern Pacific, Great Northern, and Spokane, Portland & Seattle. Passenger and Freight both. 50's to 60's era, although SP&S may have to be older. Also, Oregon Shortline would be cool to run on some routes. It the Midwest, would like to see more of the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern (DME).

The idea of a new paint shed that would encourage others is a good idea and something that i would think be popular along with a entry level reskin program added to the n3v trainz products.

So far as I know there is only one U.S. Class 1 railroad that has been modeled in it's entirety, the Western Maryland Railroad, and yet the amount of rolling stock available is paltry.

Chance at TBS has all of the WM steam roster planned, but it's going to be a long time, to be honest, before they're all ready. You may have seen pictures of me operating PaulzTrainz's Challenger lettered for WM on jrfolco's route. I've seen that he also offers a WM option for his Y6 mallet and Russian Decapod.

I've always felt there was a dearth of passenger equipment in Trainz. I imagine some of this is due to the fact that it is more labor intensive than freight cars. There is some good Amtrak stuff that while older, still works well. I'd like to see updated Amtrak equipment of all types, as well as the eastern roads up to the creation of Conrail.

I'm not a creator either and like you I am happy to spend money on high quality content.

I just don't tell my wife.

I agree with you on the modern US passenger equipment and I think we need more Amtrak stuff with interiors. HP Trainz had already made the Superliner coach and lounge cars with interiors in their Marias Pass Route X add-on, but there is a lack of interiors for all Amtrak sleeper cars (with or without folding beds). I think this would be nice to give someone more virtual Amtrak trip experience and I'm somehow a fan of riding in sleepers even though I never rode in a real one.

Last edited:
Chance at TBS has all of the WM steam roster planned, but it's going to be a long time, to be honest, before they're all ready. You may have seen pictures of me operating PaulzTrainz's Challenger lettered for WM on jrfolco's route. I've seen that he also offers a WM option for his Y6 mallet and Russian Decapod.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

But there is still hardly any locomotives and a minimal amount of rolling stock.

I also like passenger trains and would really enjoy seeing more being produced both heavyweight and lightweight. There are many railroads that have very little available in freight cars as well. Such as western maryland, Tennessee alabama and georgia, GM&O passenger equipment just t o name a few i m sure there are many more in different regions that could be added t o the list . I hope these comments that have been made will stir interest in content creators to produce these items and show there is a need for them.

I also like passenger trains and would really enjoy seeing more being produced both heavyweight and lightweight. There are many railroads that have very little available in freight cars as well. Such as western maryland, Tennessee alabama and georgia, GM&O passenger equipment just t o name a few i m sure there are many more in different regions that could be added t o the list . I hope these comments that have been made will stir interest in content creators to produce these items and show there is a need for them.

There is some much, much older content Magicland that was made about 10 or more years ago like this, however, as great as it was in that time, it doesn't quite fit the bill for the environment we have today so what we need is some new content, done to the standards needed for T:ANE and TRS19 and up to whatever comes afterwards.

For that we need some very dedicated content creators who understand the new modeling methods, which were totally unheard of a decade or more ago. It's not that Jeff and others weren't talented, it's that he and others made the best content they could using the tools they had for the capabilities of the computers and Trainz versions at that time. So it's time to start cranking and researching and building! :)

Last edited:
Magicland's stuff was great in the day, his Subway Construction Set was top notch. If I remember correctly he also put out a City of New Orleans set that I enjoyed running. The level of quality and realism in Trainz content is really amazing. Sometimes us non creators can take that for granted and when we want something our first thought is "why can't Jr, or RRMods, or Dave Snow, etc just make it?" If it were that easy, we'd all be doing it.

Yes i agree that content creation isnt easy and i really appreciate those that make it, as i said when starting this the purpose is to discuss what those needs are and spark an interest in the creators that are looking for projects that people would enjoy having i myself have bought quite a bi t of payware so i try to support those content makers that produce these items as well as those that make freeware they are what makes this enjoyable to me.

Back