DCC dial sensitivity too high

hotchillies

I've been playing Trainz 2019 now for a week or two & thoroughly enjoying it. No other game I know gives me ability to create a persistent session that I can adjust on the fly from day to day. However the sensitivity on the DCC wheel is starting to grate a little.

I only use keyboard and mouse and unlikely to buy a rail driver or other analogue device (have looked at the 3d connections spacemouse/spacenavigator). It would be nice for the DCC dial sensitivity to be adjustable, currently it is stuck in increments of 5 units with every keystroke making the train accelerate & decelerate too fast - giving that clucking sound as the wagons bang together.

Is there any way I can adjust the increment down to 1 or 2? I have tried fiddling with my Corsair programmable keys to adjust keystroke delay to no effect.

An alternative solution that would be awesome if implemented would be mouse wheel support over the driver HUD elements, e.g. mouse wheel up/down while hovering over the DDC dial.

Fine adjustment is achieved by using the mouse and dragging away from the dial. The further away your mouse is from the dial, the finer the adjustment.

There is a task in our todo list for a key modifier finer keyboard adjustment (1% increments).

hi,

im use Dragon prof 15 for Trainz. DCC mode is sensitive. its different by loco. Most locos im drive 1-2 m/h then til 4-5 a.s.o. its the part of programming
Macro.
if im record fast press and release key then is very slow.

So i can drive really Hands-free :) roll 1mH to watertank or other industrie. You can do this by press Key very short too i think.

regards ern

Hi hotchillies --

I see that you are a relative newcomer, so I can forgive you for not being aware about my feelings about those who use DCC control.

If you search the Forums you will find I've used phrases like "real men use Cab / Advanced Mode, eat steak, drive F150 pickups and drink full strength beer" and "DCC Mode is for quiche-eating, Prius-driving, latte-sipping metrosexual wimps".

So my advice is to man up and ditch DCC altogether.

Phil
_____

(There is a book by Bruce Feirstein entitled "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche". It's a fun read.)

DCC is useful if you just want to run a quick check, e.g. a tunnel section is set up properly. However fully agree with Phil that using "cab" mode is the way to go, particularly if operating a steam loco.

DCC is useful if you just want to run a quick check, e.g. a tunnel section is set up properly. However fully agree with Phil that using "cab" mode is the way to go, particularly if operating a steam loco.

Yup useful for route testing and I will add for driving trams. Trams don't have a notched throttle like a diesel. :)

Fine adjustment is achieved by using the mouse and dragging away from the dial. The further away your mouse is from the dial, the finer the adjustment.

There is a task in our todo list for a key modifier finer keyboard adjustment (1% increments).

Glad to hear its in the pipeline, hope it gets done. I'd discovered that technique, but find it a little too fiddly. I'd love the mouse wheel option!

@philskene Haha, I understand your stance. Actually I use Advance Mode about 50% of the time. However I often switch to DCC because sometimes I just want the train to pretty much drive itself and can be more relaxing. Also sometimes when driving the trail from a wagon mid-train I find the Real mode controls unhook from the loco and I have to switch to DCC in order to position the wagon, for example when position to pick up a load. Maybe this is a bug or I'm doing something wrong :eek:. I'm not a real man, I'm a DCC man :hehe:.

Hi hotchillies --

I see that you are a relative newcomer, so I can forgive you for not being aware about my feelings about those who use DCC control.

If you search the Forums you will find I've used phrases like "real men use Cab / Advanced Mode, eat steak, drive F150 pickups and drink full strength beer" and "DCC Mode is for quiche-eating, Prius-driving, latte-sipping metrosexual wimps".

So my advice is to man up and ditch DCC altogether.

Phil
_____

(There is a book by Bruce Feirstein entitled "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche". It's a fun read.)

Mate, what ever happened to Football, meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars ?

Regarding the clanking noise - and the message Rough handling...

While it is appropriate for local consists, most of the modern consists are (in reality) close coupled and braked. As a result, the clanking noise is an anachronism from the days of unbraked rolling stock where the engine & guardsman had to slow the consist.

I know that many routes/sessions use the old stock.perhaps there should be an option for the sound effect?

Colin

.. as a real authentic model railroader i handle the dcc controller ..
except when i'm eating chips with mayo: then is my lefthand on the keyboard operating w and x and very sometimes the s ...
i had to sell my indian motorcycle to buy trs19 ...
my dodge van needs a reskin...
so i'm sipping ..

have a nice dcc-day
daveric

I use DCC mode most of the time because although I handle cab mode fine-ish on a flat grade... but when there's hills and low speed limits,then I'm terrible at keeping a constant speed of say,20mph... And there's also the safety valve issue in steam locomotives,with the safety valve never stopping,which practically ruins cab mode for me. And there's also the issue with the wheel speed on a locomotive being tied in with the FPS,so when ever the game stutters (Which is easy to do on a computer with an old Intel Pentium dual-core 2.5GHZ CPU,and a lower end NVIDIA GPU.) and the FPS catches back up... then there's wheel slip,even on a Union Pacific challenger. And the fact that I'm not very smart at doing things,makes cab mode an absolute pain for me... so I do use cab mode every now and then,but most of the time I'm using DCC mode.

So I'll just be here with a double-double instead of a latte and donuts instead of quiche...:p

I use DCC mode most of the time because although I handle cab mode fine-ish on a flat grade... but when there's hills and low speed limits,then I'm terrible at keeping a constant speed of say,20mph... And there's also the safety valve issue in steam locomotives,with the safety valve never stopping,which practically ruins cab mode for me. And there's also the issue with the wheel speed on a locomotive being tied in with the FPS,so when ever the game stutters (Which is easy to do on a computer with an old Intel Pentium dual-core 2.5GHZ CPU,and a lower end NVIDIA GPU.) and the FPS catches back up... then there's wheel slip,even on a Union Pacific challenger. And the fact that I'm not very smart at doing things,makes cab mode an absolute pain for me... so I do use cab mode every now and then,but most of the time I'm using DCC mode.

So I'll just be here with a double-double instead of a latte and donuts instead of quiche...:p

The technical issues aside, my issue with Cab mode is my idiot fingers. I seem to get the wrong finger on the wrong key at the most critical time and end up stalling trains on grades, or worse. Since I usually work in Surveyor and use Driver to check out stuff and sometimes have fun, I'll join you with a piece of quiche. :)

I can sympathise with you John, my fingers seem to do some funny things too at times. But must say, when using CAB mode I use the number pad rather than the main keyboard. On the number pad * moves the cutoff to forward and / moves the cutoff to reverse
8 = regulator up 2 = regulator down, 3 applies the brakes and 9 releases the brakes, there is also the 6 which laps the brakes but I don't find that much use. I find these much easier than the main keyboard.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
I can sympathise with you John, my fingers seem to do some funny things too at times. But must say, when using CAB mode I use the number pad rather than the main keyboard. On the number pad * moves the cutoff to forward and / moves the cutoff to reverse
8 = regulator up 2 = regulator down, 3 applies the brakes and 9 releases the brakes, there is also the 6 which laps the brakes but I don't find that much use. I find these much easier than the main keyboard.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks Bill.

I have to try the number pad the next time I use Cab mode. There's still a bunch of keys for me to get mixed up with though! :D

It is now 4 years later and I am still waiting for this fix.
In that time you have released TMR2017 which finally acknowledged the original intent of being a Model Railroad Simulator, then abandoned it all to try and compete with the defunct Train simulator again.
Us Model railroaders would really appreciate it it you stopped paying lip service and started to actually make this software fit for purpose.
Driving a train through well crafted country scenery is a pleasure but switching a complex industry at slow speed requires precision, you CAN support both, just see the bigger picture. Please......

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:

This would be awesome. My thoughts on the matter would be to have a shift function: w/x increment/decrement by 5% whereas W/X increment/decrement by 1%. If you are using a script (.gs) to control this, then two simple if statements would accomplish it.

Last edited:
Back