Lift Bridges

lrjanzen

Must be a little thick this AM.
I am playing around Philskene's Harbormaster. My question is how do the bridges work? I took a look at another thread and they mentioned triggers to activate the bridges. I looked at the track objects and could see anything that looked like it would trigger the bridge. there are a number of signals before the bridge. Part of the problem may be I am just starting to get my head wrapped around the AI train thing. If there is another thread somewhere let me know. I know there has to be something that says "When you get to this point do something" But I have yet to find out how to crack into that.

BTW I want to thank Phil for his great work. I especially liked how he sort of over laid the more modern assets so they could be removed and the whole layout could be "demoderned" with ease. And how the h*ll does he come up with the track layouts!? He does LOVE loops and trestles.

A lot of bridges have built-in triggers (not visible) that “detect” a train at a set distance and will start closing at that point. Try it!

Most bridges as said have a built in trigger in the same way as a mocrossing. Some bridges are built in the raised position and lower when a train approaches. Some like the bridge to be in the lowered position and only raise when a ship needs to go under, these are then controlled by the ATLS set up treating the bridge as a level crossing.

Yup! Just ran an engine through the bridge as they worked. But how do set them up? Using the "info" buton didn't seem to get to anything that sets up the bridges like you get when you click an industry.

They “just” work.
You will have to find out at what speed you can drive without reaching it to early.

In most cases you can drive over / through / under a bridge if it not closed yet; it will just look weird.

Yup! Just ran an engine through the bridge as they worked. But how do set them up? Using the "info" buton didn't seem to get to anything that sets up the bridges like you get when you click an industry.

The bridges are scenery-type objects.

You place them and either adjust their height using the up/down arrows, or you adjust the terrain underneath if they can't be raised or lowered. Once you get the height to where you want it, you connect your track.

There are basically three kinds, besides the various styles. One type does not react with boats, which are really locomotives. Another type works like a turntable and you open and close the bridge manually, or use the turntable command to AI-operate the bridge. I can't remember how to set that command up, but it's a bit complex requiring editing a table and stuff. And finally, the last kind is a simple bridge operated automatically when the driver approaches the train either human or AI controlled.

For the multitude of bridges, check them out by the late Ben Dorsey. He was/is the "bridge man" who gave us well over 5,000 or more bridges in various styles shapes and sizes.

When it comes to the mo-crossing type animated bridges, I use the ATLS method for ccontrol and operation as my prefered bridges are really slow and long in their operation, just like the real world version they are modeled after.

I prefer to connect the bridges to invisible track with a junction, on one track there is an invisible loco and on the other it is clear, then i put invisible track over the bridge between the two parts of the actual line, the line also has a junction so that signals work and trains derail if the bridge is up, the derail track is just invisible track that just ends at the first spline point, then I link the two junctions together, now i can have the bridge up or down whenever i want and it's not based on the line that runs over it, which makes more sense as all the lift bridges in my area are down unless a boat is passing under

I prefer to connect the bridges to invisible track with a junction, on one track there is an invisible loco and on the other it is clear, then i put invisible track over the bridge between the two parts of the actual line, the line also has a junction so that signals work and trains derail if the bridge is up, the derail track is just invisible track that just ends at the first spline point, then I link the two junctions together, now i can have the bridge up or down whenever i want and it's not based on the line that runs over it, which makes more sense as all the lift bridges in my area are down unless a boat is passing under

I've done that too. There are actual derail assets which are basically fancy-looking junction levers. That might give you an authentic looking derail if you want.

I've done that too. There are actual derail assets which are basically fancy-looking junction levers. That might give you an authentic looking derail if you want.
Did not know that, but glad I'm not the only one that has done this, was way to proud when i thought of it

ATLS will do all of that for you without invisible track and junctions and can be controlled by both boats and trains. My Advanced ATLS demo has a single lane lift bridge with trains and cars going over it while boats pass under it. All three share the single track bridge. Cars pass over in single line from each end in turn and also share the same space with trains passing in both directions in turn. Ships will stop all traffic and trains when they pass below.

Did not know that, but glad I'm not the only one that has done this, was way to proud when i thought of it

Definitely be proud for thinking of that on your own. There are all kinds of nifty little tricks you can discover as you gain experience.

Back