fun with TransDEM

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Decided to take another stab at creating a map based on TransDEM processed data. Got all the data files from various sources, followed the tutorials on this forum, and created the map. I also added the tracks to save having to place them all by hand, knowing that there would be some adjustments to be made.

One is the fact that the program doesn't know if two crossing tracks are at different elevations so they are joined in an interesting way. Had to undo the junctions and will later provide a grade separation.
TransDEM track knot.JPG

After
TransDEM track unknotted.JPG

Another issue was a strange twist in the track. Don't understand what happened here.
TransDEM track in a twist.JPG

Fortunately by separating the track and rejoining the splines, it was quickly fixed.
TransDEM track untwisted.JPG

One more thing. I had TransDEM create a bunch of UTM tiles to help guide my landscaping but they were all stored into a separate folder and I had to manually place they in the proper order in the map. Did I miss a step or was that what was supposed to happen. Also the 1000m tiles sizes were all correctly oriented but half the corresponding 500m tiles were all wrongly rotated. Did I miss a memo somewhere along the way?

All this in TransDEM 2.6.3.0

If you did the UTM tiles after creating the route in Trainz then the UTM info won't be included in the initial export, think it's mapfile.obs that contains the utm placement info.

Basically it just means either do it the hard way and manually place the tiles or re-export and remember to include the UTM tiles.

Ah, oh well, next time. The tiles have all already been placed. Still wonder about the rotation. Or is that because the orientation is also in the obs file? Lesson learned.

Still wonder about the rotation. Or is that because the orientation is also in the obs file?
Yes, it is. Because the anchor points will always be aligned with 1000m UTM grid lines. And with 500m tiles 90°/180°/270° rotation is the way to achieve this. The 1000m grid and the quadrant indicator provide for meaningful tile names (on case you have to place them manually :cool:)

Once I copied the file names into a spreadsheet, the naming pattern became obvious. After placing one in the correct location, all the rest followed logically.

Personally I have never really seen the point of getting Transdem to lay the basic track splines. I would much rather start from scratch following the route and any track plan or gradient profile, just as quick if not quicker than trying to resolve the rather basic Transdem configuration.

Back