skipper1945's loco's in TRS19

Nice one Rob!

(Typing this as '19 does yet another 20 min asset rebuild for no apparent reason).

Despite my criticisms - which as a customer paying $70 and even with the early access caveat I feel quite entitled to make, I am prepared to give the benefit of the doubt a little longer in the hope this all gets fixed up. As I've said before, N3V have a perfect opportunity to corner the market share as the competition is struggling. MSTS/OR is ancient by any stretch of the imagination and seems largely the purview of bitter old dudes bickering at TS or Elvas. DTG can't make up their mind whether to keep going with their traditional TS programme which got a 64 bit makeover but still not very good for building routes, or focus on TSW. The latter supposedly now getting a route editor but based on the UE4 editor, so not likely to be hobby level friendly. N3V could really clean up if they so decided.

I'm hanging in there as well, as TRS19 has a lot of potential, OR doesn't seem to have progressed very much in a decade, given up on it, the beta doesn't seem to need to do any database rebuilds, leastwise not here.

UE4 editor is definitely not hobby friendly, IMO more aimed at the indie market where people know what they are doing!

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, without it problems might not get noticed or get fixed, especially if people haven't use a particular function or asset..... At least N3V listens, unlike Microsoft ;o)

As a Trainz 'non technical' person and not owning TRS2019 but a prospective buyer, my current feelings are thus:

skpmbhx.jpg

Rob.

Not quite as snappy as the original.

Tony Hilliam

As for most of the developers not playing Trainz, they tend to sleep in the hours they aren't actively developing Trainz, and for the most part spend probably half their day "using" Trainz in some fashion or other. So let's, before things get a life of their own here, put to bed the notion that the developers have no clue about how it works or what is involved.

I for one, do not "play" Trainz. However, I think I have a pretty good idea how the program works. Chris knows far more about HOW it works than I do. Paul has far more idea about how to make assets than I do. And so on.

i did not mean this comment to be offensive, I am suprised that the developers use Trainz in the same manner as a train enthusiast does. I know they know how it works that's why I used play in inverted commas.
If TRS19 is up to SP3 and all assets that are useable in TANE can be used in TRS19 that is all I expect.

Ken

Last edited:
Think there will be many of us in the UK who would be devastated if the problem isn't fixed. :(

I've always taken Georges assets as the standard to aim for when creating locos.

"And another reason to skip 19 for the forseeable future."

From a person who doesn't have TRS19?

There is only one valid reason not to migrate to TRS19 -- once you have it and run a TRS19 route, you can never ever go back to T:ANE. The improvements are that significant.

I've posted several TRS19 videos showing how good it looks. This is one of my favourites:

There are some teething problems. At least N3V are now aware of them.

Phil

Seriously? This is one of the dumbest remartks I have read so far on these forums. Unlike people like you I like to buy finished products and pass the honor to pay for being a beta tester. I also don't care to much how things "look", I like a product to function the way it is supposed to be. This product isn't even close to being finished.

If it hadn't been for early release this potential problem wouldn't have been spotted

Nonsense! An open BETA might have even broiught mnore people in, but now you fools even pay to be a tester and act all grateful for the honor to get basicly scammed out of your money.

Think there will be many of us in the UK who would be devastated if the problem isn't fixed. :(

I've always taken Georges assets as the standard to aim for when creating locos.

Absolutely right! If the problem can't be fixed (I hope it can be fixed) will those that have forked out hard earned money get a refund?

Rob.

Hi Vals --

Your Post #46 above:

"This is one of the dumbest remartks I have read so far on these forums."

Thanks. You are in very good company. My wife frequently tells me that I'm the dumbest person she knows. I've grown to accept that comments like yours are true. Thank you for including the words "one of". My wife would not have been so generous.

I have to admit that I was very dumb in purchasing this Early Access version of TRS19, but, having ridden with Trainz since TRS2004, I was confident that N3V would take on board our comments and rectify them. Perhaps that last part about N3V and rectification is even dumber than my original remarks in my post above?

I've also been very remiss in finding great satisfaction in using this "unfinished project" to create three layouts. It's been fun and I like the end result but, of course, it should not be so. Am I dumb to look forward to the next update with a greater choice of assets, particularly PBR textures? Probably yes, but I am.

Phil

Last edited:
It's interesting/fascinating how someone who hasn't used the program is passing judgement on it (Val). As someone who uses TANE and TRS19 every day (thank goodness I no longer need to check things out in TS12 very often), and often using older versions of TANE to identify when something changed, I am fully in agreement with Phil that once you've begun using TRS19 it's very hard to go back.

Even Vern, with teeth firmly clenched no doubt, admitted the same.

Is TRS19 perfect? Not yet, and given moving goal posts of new technology, hardware, and a never-ending wishlist of features, it never will be perfect.

The judgement call is therefore not "is TRS19 perfect" but "how much better is it than <insert your favourite Trainz version here>".

The answer is already a resounding "much better in many instances", along with "still some work to do"...

To update you after a day of dev work on the flipped normals saga, here's a very interesting outcome...

Switch to "Low" shaders (in TRS19) and you will see that the normals are magically lit the same as in TANE. This is due to the new IBL texture path being switched off for that setting.

We've made some changes and are now experiencing how we programmatically determine whether the normals should be flipped or not. Part of the interpretation here probably comes down to what it means to have a double-sided normal map. ie. should an extrusion on one side of the material also be an extrusion on the other side? or should it be an intrusion?

I think I'll let the experts figure that one out!)

Last edited:
Switch to "Low" shaders (in TRS19) and you will see that the normals are magically lit the same as in TANE. This is due to the new IBL texture path being switched off for that setting.

We've made some changes and are now experiencing how we programmatically determine whether the normals should be flipped or not. Part of the interpretation here probably comes down to what it means to have a double-sided normal map. ie. should an extrusion on one side of the material also be an extrusion on the other side? or should it be an intrusion?

I think I'll let the experts figure that one out!)

Glad to hear it's being worked on Tony. George's assets are too good not to be available in TRS19

... especially the macOS version ;)

All I can say is I bet most of the people who bought it now regret it. Its like buying a car before its complete. It doesn't work at all or correctly until it is done.

Confirmed, that works, at the expense of some transparent SpeedTrees (not all just a few) that were OK before trying this.

As the originator of this thread I would just add that I bought Early Access TRS19 for just that - to have a play around, assess it, and make comments which hopefully n3v would respond to before finalising the release version. It's early days yet but it seems to me that this will be the biggest improvement ever between successive Trainz versions. It instantly makes earlier versions look primitive, but it's not 'finished.' So this thread was a comment and from where I'm sitting n3v give every appearance of having engaged with it and others. They plainly recognise the importance of such issues and they would be mad not to work hard on a solution. All of which adds up to several reasons to be cheerful, I think.

All I can say is I bet most of the people who bought it now regret it. Its like buying a car before its complete. It doesn't work at all or correctly until it is done.

Wrong, there has never been a perfect release of Trainz, going right back to when i installed CE in late 2001.

TRS19 is the best of the whole series though, to date.

Why would i purchase something, if i thought i would regret it.

There are a lot of things i would like to see included, which are not.

But that is the same with any of the train games.

Mike.

As the originator of this thread I would just add that I bought Early Access TRS19 for just that - to have a play around, assess it, and make comments which hopefully n3v would respond to before finalising the release version. It's early days yet but it seems to me that this will be the biggest improvement ever between successive Trainz versions. It instantly makes earlier versions look primitive, but it's not 'finished.' So this thread was a comment and from where I'm sitting n3v give every appearance of having engaged with it and others. They plainly recognise the importance of such issues and they would be mad not to work hard on a solution. All of which adds up to several reasons to be cheerful, I think.

I agree. I have no regrets either opting into the early release. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the early release was, and I think this is what caught a lot of people off guard into thinking this was a final product. Those things that were never seen by the rosy glow of something new have finally come through as the shine has faded so now as you've said we need to report and make comments otherwise stuff won't get fixed.

Tony summed it up. I rarely go into T:ANE now except to compare settings and to transfer over content, and even more rarely touch TS12 except to convert an old route. The graphics and other stuff are so much better, warts and all, there's no returning now. Once everything is buttoned up and released, T:ANE will remain on my hard disk for a bit then archived to the external drive except for an occasional access until everything has settled in.

Back