skipper1945's loco's in TRS19

I hope that N3V do resolve the issue with skipper1945's locos, if indeed it is something that N3V can in fact do, as opposed to it requiring repairs to the assets by the Content Repair Group. As for TRS2019 looking brilliant, well, for me, it reminds me somewhat of when the Royal navy introduced HMS Dreadnought back in 1906. While it was a revolutionary design of warship rendering previous classes of battleship obsolete it dropped the RN advantage over the German Empire to 1 ship, making it easier for the Kaiser to compete for naval supremacy. With TRS2019 and the UK scene , if it looks brilliant but obsoletes, breaks or renders "primitive" too many assets it can drop some users down to "a single train" or close to it. A shortage of content creators for UK stock will then make it difficult to grow the amount of UK product available for it.

For me, I have a considerable fleet of assets built up since 2011 and it represents a very significant dollar investment, greatly exceeding the combined amount spent on TS12, Kickstarter support and a T:ANE Deluxe boxed copy. I have identified that some older ones need upgrading to improve their appearance and it looks like a cost approaching a quarter of what I have spent so far will be needed to complete. I can't make an estimate about upgrading to a level for TRS2019 since I don't know any content creators who build to TRS2019. In any event, I won't be rushing to obsolete my investment by adopting TRS2019. I will see how it goes when it is available as a retail boxed product and perhaps has had SP1 applied.

Last edited:
To all the Doom & Gloom crew.

IT'S STILL BETA!!!!!!!!

If you hate it so much (and don't have it as well) Just visit the steam forums and kiss up to how wonderful DTG is with their payware intensive Train sims! Tony has said it's being looked into, what more do you want?
BTW, I have TRS19 on the year deal, plus also own hundreds of pounds worth of DTG routes and stock and third party stuff. I must say that until the recent 64 bit conversion of TS2018/19. For over 2 years, DTG's Failworks simulator was totally unplayable and a lot of the addons would just work for about 10 minutes and then you would get a Memory Dump error. Sorry, but I have never had that problem with any of the trainz programs (only problems with the CMP bag of nails program (hint hint Tony, please update or add Pev's/Andy's Assett X program if possible))!

Before I get called a Fanboi, I've had plenty of moans about Trainz in the past...…

Regards.
CaptEngland.

It's interesting that the people telling us that "people are unhappy" don't own TRS19. The people with the product are saying it's the best version yet.

And CaptEngland - thanks for the kind words of support, but it's technically not in beta as our Early Access release is clearly a step ahead of that stage. The current "beta" stream (that users can access if they choose to) is only being called a beta due to the fact it isn't as heavily tested yet. It could nearly be called "final release candidate" except we know there are a few outstanding issues we'd like to address (such as the "skipper" content problems).

Last edited:
And when TRS21 comes out I expect that the same people will say that TRS19 was the best ever and TRS21 is rubbish. We've heard this tune before. :)

Oh no there is no way there will be a TRS21 because N3V takes way too long to make the Trainz games. Maybe a TRS25, that is when I expect a new one after TRS19.

It's interesting that the people telling us that "people are unhappy" don't own TRS19. The people with the product are saying it's the best version yet...

Speaking (writing!) for myself, I'm "very happy" at the moment not to be a TRS2019 user and licensee. If it gets fixed to my perceived satisfaction I may be interested in purchasing, if not fixed then I definitely won't be buying - ce la vie.

Despite what the sycophants, kowtowers and even the naysayers say I retain the right to air my thoughts and make my own decision as to whether I purchase or not.

Rob.

And when TRS21 comes out I expect that the same people will say that TRS19 was the best ever and TRS21 is rubbish. We've heard this tune before. :)

Ain't that the truth. Since way back. Probably started with the 2nd or 3rd version

EDIT: yeahhhh!!!! 200 posts to add to the thousands I lost when the forum blew up back in 06 i believe.

I guess it to be rather vice versa, exactly same group of people (which usually have reason to be loyal or are somehow involved) will again glorify new version against older ones even when it is still quite imperfect. Desperate diseases require desperate remedies.

I guess it to be rather vice versa, exactly same group of people (which usually have reason to be loyal or are somehow involved) will again glorify new version against older ones even when it is still quite imperfect. Desperate diseases require desperate remedies.

My comment was intended to be humorous not offensive (it had a smiley emoji) so please don't take offence. Anyway, since we were originally talking about locos that look odd in TRS19 I thought I'd share this pic. It shows two of Billigulla's locos that I repaired for the CRG. These locos were made for TS04 but I think they look terrific in TRS19 (beta). They do have some odd shadows.

billegulla_zpsn5d7sgfb.jpg

Nice to see older decent steam era models that are still being made useful in later versions of Trainz. BUT all the same I've shut down my gold subscription for the foreseeable future since life is too short for me to mess around with TS2019 and its issues when older versions of Trainz are still doing all that I want without any problems.

(wrt double-sided textures)
* in TRS19, we handle it correctly:
** seen from the front, it gets the standard lighting applied
** seen from the back, the game automatically reverses the normals and shows you the correct lighting.

Good to hear! I've stayed away from double-sided textures because they were lit incorrectly in old versions of Trainz. It will be nice to be able to use them again for things like flags...

Curtis

I think the take away is TS19 can display models very well. From what I've seen so far I get the impression it is geared more towards the very bright sun lit areas of the world and the deary dismal UK doesn't fit this model well. Evilcrow has been doing some excellent steam shots with post processing which apparently has to be reset each time you open TANE or whatever he is using. Get that stable in TS19 and you have a winner for UK content.

On the UK modelling side we don't need the very bright sun light mode. We have an excellent range of existing locos, wagons etc. and it would be a pity if they couldn't continue to be used in TS19.

As a content creator I'd like to feel confident that I won't have to dig out all my old sources to align them better with TS19. Should it be necessary perhaps this time we can come up with something better for wagons that have been reskinned but need an alteration doing either to the mesh or the config.txt file? At the moment each reskinner has to reupload their individual reskins and the odd one or two reskinners have either disappeared or aren't that interested in correcting the reskins.

Cheerio John

It's interesting that the people telling us that "people are unhappy" don't own TRS19. The people with the product are saying it's the best version yet.

And CaptEngland - thanks for the kind words of support, but it's technically not in beta as our Early Access release is clearly a step ahead of that stage. The current "beta" stream (that users can access if they choose to) is only being called a beta due to the fact it isn't as heavily tested yet. It could nearly be called "final release candidate" except we know there are a few outstanding issues we'd like to address (such as the "skipper" content problems).

Wrong, and you know it! There are plenty of people on the forums who do own it and do have complained and have legitimate complaints. You just conveniently overlook those and reply to people like me. I value the criticism by the people who shelled out the dough to be a beta tester and have reported the many issues with the product. THEY are the ones who convinced me to wait a few yeras until you get your stuff right. It is seriously retarted to criticize a customer and also a potential customer of your new product this way. Instead of convincing doubting people to buy your product you chase them away with comments like this.

Quote from Kotangagirl:
I have both TANE and TS2019, but still use TS2012 for any serious layout operating and building sessions. I run things about a bit in TANE, but don't build with it and I'm most probably going to give my gold subscription the toss since I don't like TS2019 at all.
I have PLL and I'm happy with it and I think it was well worth the money even though the exchange rate with the Kiwi dollar made it a bit expensive at the time. The one thing about TANE is that it's a known quantity (more or less) where TS2019 is like sailing off into the unknown mists at the edge of the world. A version of PLL for TANE would be reasonably popular to my mind and I think there would be a demand for it that would persist for quite a while yet. And as well as that Skipper's locomotives are for us UK enthusiasts an absolute icon of what is the very best in digital locomotive modelling and with TS2019 making them look terrible that's just one more reason to leave TS2019 on the shelf and not buy it.

Last edited:
I know a number of people who were involved with the beta testing of TS19 and they are very happy with it so much so that most have purchased the product when it became available.

Cheerio John

Along with most UK based modellers, I was somewhat distressed at what happened to Skipper 1945's locos in TRS 2019. I was originally somewhat shocked at the lighting and general appearance of 2019, but having worked at it a bit, and played with a new route totally in 2019, I now feel that there is a potential for everyone to do some great things with it. As suggested by Tony, moving the shader to 'low" appears to have solved the loco colour issue on some assets (not only skipper1945), albeit at the expense of the reflections in a pond in my case, but I can live with that until another fix is found. So does it kill my enthusiasm for 2019 - No. AS far as UK type ambience is concerned, I now find I can produce something that satisfies me - better than in previous versions, and I have to say that with PBR textures, the scenery possibilities are very encouraging, and that is without TurfFX as my Mac can't use it yet.
Here is one of George's locos prototypically a little out of place, but I hope it illustrates where I'm coming from.
Best wishes
Ian

45418447592_ea88636a15_o.jpg

Just to clarify a point, many of us did not buy TRS19 to beta test it, we bought it because we were on the closed beta test and despite some bugs / issues could see the improvements it could bring and only purchased after the Closed Testing ended. So put bluntly we were using it before buying it...... many of the problems found early on in testing have been fixed, some haven't yet, patience is required.

Also as an asset creator it enables me to fix issues with some of my assets which were suffering from the same issue as Georges Locos, now I could have left it and ignore the inevitable complaints that were bound to appear.

And as a route creator, it enables me to see what may need changing or fixing when people inevitably try to use them in TRS19.

Which route is that Ian, trying to figure out if it's one of mine?

No, All brand new in TRS2019. It's Riccarton Junction on the ex NBR Waverley Route. This view is on the Border Counties line, Riccarton Junction in the distance. I hope to release it if it passes muster when finished.
Best wishes
Ian

Back