skipper1945's loco's in TRS19

neville_hill

In common with a lot of others, I suspect, I find skipper1945's superb locomotives to be an absolutely essential part of the UK Trainz experience. However on loading them into TRS19 I'm finding that random parts of them are showing up as black. Generally, just one or two panels per locomotive (see image below). Can anyone suggest a possible cause / solution (I know nothing about content creation), as this is is potentially very serious news.....

eIz4QHx.jpg
[/IMG]

Initially I'm wondering if this is something at my end or whether others have found the same thing.

I hadn't noticed this as been mainly concentrating on my own stuff which has problems of a similar nature.
So had a quick look. It's not just you

Problems I know of, from the issues I have had with some of my stuff:
1: It appears somehow that TRS19 is showing parts of meshes as flipped normals where there never appeared to be in the first place, I fixed mine which were nowhere near as bad as your screenshots by just doing a Reset Xform in Max / Gmax. Unfortunately it's not something the end user can do and George has retired from content Creation.

2: There is a problem with the material m.reflect which is causing anything that uses env_metal to produce weird effects, example if you load <kuid2:116296:88232:3> Adams SR LSWR RT 415 class into the preview in TRS19 and spin it around you can see exactly what's happening at one point the black is green.

3. There are also issues with the specular settings no longer having much if any effect.

Looking at Georges loco's it appears the problem is far worse than I thought it was going to be.

More bug reports needed by the looks of it.

Thanks for that Malc. As George's steam locomotives probably constitute the biggest high quality freeware collection available to UK users, the fact that they are unusable in TRS19 could be a significant deterrent to people taking it up. Certainly all things GWR or BR Western Region are virtually out of the TRS19 window.

Is there anybody out there who fancies the task of rescuing George's work (with his permission of course)? There would be a lot of grateful users, not to mention n3v.

Thanks for that Malc. As George's steam locomotives probably constitute the biggest high quality freeware collection available to UK users, the fact that they are unusable in TRS19 could be a significant deterrent to people taking it up. Certainly all things GWR or BR Western Region are virtually out of the TRS19 window.

Is there anybody out there who fancies the task of rescuing George's work (with his permission of course)? There would be a lot of grateful users, not to mention n3v.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I would hold off attempting any kind of fix until N3V comes to a consensus as to what's going on with the textures. The worst thing we want to do is fix something now only to half to redo it all over again because our fix is broken when the issue is resolved. This occurred with T:ANE when we had incorrect text colors. Some of us went through the trouble of adjusting the RGB values to make them work only to have to do that all over again when SP1 first came out.

Looks like the main problem is with the m.reflect which other than removing it and ending up with dull flat paintwork etc. is only something that N3V can sort out, couple of BR logos appear to be actually flipped. I think George would prefer if TCWW did anything that might need doing as he is still a member as am I.

If N3V sort out the problem it may not need any fixing.

Going to check them all and create a list for a start.

Edit:
Oh heck............. looks like it's affecting all of them to some degree, very minor in some cases and horrible in others.

Last edited:
Hi Guys - The issue goes beyond George's locomotives. I have been reworking my GWR Tristyn route for TRS19 and note that in certain lighting parameters, a single section/panel of a GWR coach will be very bright. With the GWR Diesel Railcar, one section of the end shaping will appear to be in bright light, whereas the section next to it is in deep shadow. I am assuming that the new lighting effects of TRS19 need to be tweaked a little. Regards. Colin.

I don't have TRS2019 but have seen something similar with textures in T:ANE SP3 whilst fiddling about with some pre DRM clones of N3V's Duchess model. I removed the Alpha and Alphahint lines from a texture.txt file in the model and the relavent texture appeared black in game.

I'm not saying this is the same problem but it looks very similar. Skipper1945's textures don't have alpha channels incorporated.

As I say, I don't have TRS2019 but someone who has might care to try this:

This is the main.texture text file from skipper1945's GWR King Edward VII model.

Primary=main.tga
Tile=st

Try adding the lines in bold italic to the text file and see if it works. If it works then obviously it will have to be done to all affected textures.

Primary=main.tga
Alpha=main.tga
Tile=st
Alphahint=semitransparent

It may or may not work but worth a try, I think!

If it doesn't work I will definitely not be getting TRS2019!

Rob.

Last edited:
It's also affecting roads, station platforms, all my grass type embankment and cutting splines, grass is not shiny when the sun shines on it, neither are station platforms or roads.

I found one Castle that wasn't affected......

I have a question? All the affected assets I have come across appear to be 3dsMax and Gmax created assets, are any Blender assets suffering the same issues?

Primary=main.tga
Alpha=main.tga
Tile=st
Alphahint=semitransparentRendered the cab and half the body invisible, to be honest didn't think it would work, however worth a try.

Last edited:
It's also affecting roads, station platforms, all my grass type embankment and cutting splines, grass is not shiny when the sun shines on it, neither are station platforms or roads.

I found one Castle that wasn't affected......

I have a question? All the affected assets I have come across appear to be 3dsMax and Gmax created assets, are any Blender assets suffering the same issues?

Primary=main.tga
Alpha=main.tga
Tile=st
Alphahint=semitransparentRendered the cab and half the body invisible, to be honest didn't think it would work, however worth a try.

Oh well, scratch 1! Thanks for trying, it was a bit of a long shot! It seems N3V have a long way to go with TRS2019!

Rob.

@neville_hill: You could enter your opening screenshot with a T:ANE equivalent shot in to the T:ANE v TRS2019 screenshot comparison competition - I think it's worth a $100 voucher!

Last edited:

I use Blender and in the latest TRS19 beta the brass cab controls in my GWR 5400 now look like melted chocolate. And there is other stuff in the cab that looks weird. The exterior looks better than TANE except for the green bits on the brass work I made with m.reflect.

I don't have a solution yet.

We're still working on the legacy shaders and these items are part of the test case.

A "legacy shader" is how we tell Trainz to deal with the old style materials. Unfortunately it's not as simple as "just treat everything just the way it was before".

Thanks Tony.
Robd - I've already put in an entry to the competition and one on this subject might seem a bit churlish. Anyway, as I'm probably the only route creator to have put a route on the DLS containing a statue of Mr Hilliam I reckon the prize is in the bag already. Or not.

Thanks Tony.
Robd - I've already put in an entry to the competition and one on this subject might seem a bit churlish. Anyway, as I'm probably the only route creator to have put a route on the DLS containing a statue of Mr Hilliam I reckon the prize is in the bag already. Or not.

Churlish? Yes. Better make sure Tony Hilliam's statue is well lit up, apparently he likes to be seen in a whole new light!

Getting back to the topic, it doesn't appear to bode well for the future of TRS2019. I'll be delaying my prospective purchase of TRS2019 until some real progress has been made in rectifying this defect.

Rob.

This is definitely a show stopper, however they may yet fix the problem, I'm not writing anything off just yet, remembering that we don't have the finished version yet.

As far as I can see the random black panels are not occurring on other creators' locomotives. There don't appear to be any problems with my loco's by GP Locomotives, camscott, paulhobbs, lnerlover5, lielestosbrat,edh6, paulz trainz, etc.etc. In fact, apart from some black I've noticed on a couple of station canopies, it only seems to be evident on George's models. Was there something unique about how they were built?

As far as I can see the random black panels are not occurring on other creators' locomotives. There don't appear to be any problems with my loco's by GP Locomotives, camscott, paulhobbs, lnerlover5, lielestosbrat,edh6, paulz trainz, etc.etc. In fact, apart from some black I've noticed on a couple of station canopies, it only seems to be evident on George's models. Was there something unique about how they were built?

Yes he appears to use m.reflect a lot. There are problems with edh6 as far as the brass and m.reflect is concerned his brass domes are cream coloured......

If you run TANE and TRS19 at the same time, I can on two PCs and two monitors you can see the differences where there are any.

Back