How many legal copies? and Session share between computers.

1611mac

- - . -
1.) Can i run TRS19 legally on two computers, both used only by myself? (iMac and MacBook Pro)
2.) If I can legally run on two computers, is it possible to start a session on one and continue the session on the other computer? (session sync)

Thanks.

1. "Legally" here are the relevant parts from the EULA (you can find this doc in the /data folder in your Install folder).

2.2 This Software is licensed to you. It is NOT sold.

4 Grant of License
4.1 Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, N3V grants to you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive license to:
(a) install and use the Software, at any one time, on a single stand alone computer in accordance with normal operating procedures as notified by N3V from time to time; and
(b) either:
(i) make one copy of the Software that is in electronic form solely for back-up or archival purposes in support of your permitted use of the Software; or
(ii) transfer the Software that is in electronic form to a single hard disk, provided you keep the original solely for back-up or archival purposes.

2. Technically you cannot "sync" two builds, but we are working on a system where syncing will be possible across a multitude of users or multiple platforms.

I don't know whether iPortal still works, but it can send trains from one PC, to another PC, and send them to another unopened route on your PC's

Tony,

It is truly a shame that I just found this out upon paying the Gold Membership fee for the year. At download time this fact became clear.

It seems that in the past it was always possible to install a copy on my laptop and desktop systems. Since I was the only one playing the game, this allowed me to have the high-performance system at home, and the portable "lite" version on the road. I could play the game on the road, but develop routes at home (as well as experience the full capability of TANE).

But this is not permitted? The agreement clearly indicates "install and use...on a single stand alone..."

So, what do those of us that have a Gold Membership do? Pay the fee twice? Are you going to provide a separate license fee for additional machines?

Last edited:
Tony,

It is truly a shame that I just found this out upon paying the Gold Membership fee for the year. At download time this fact became clear.

It seems that in the past it was always possible to install a copy on my laptop and desktop systems. Since I was the only one playing the game, this allowed me to have the high-performance system at home, and the portable "lite" version on the road. I could play the game on the road, but develop routes at home (as well as experience the full capability of TANE).

But this is not permitted? The agreement clearly indicates "install and use...on a single stand alone..."

So, what do those of us that have a Gold Membership do? Pay the fee twice? Are you going to provide a separate license fee for additional machines?

Or, as I am thinking, I should ask for my money back?

Can you not physically run a copy of TS2019 on your PC and one on your Laptop as reading the Forum posts this is a common working method. As long as you do not take advantage nobody will question you as to what you do in your own home.

Ken

Last edited:
So long as you are not trying to use both copies at once, you are allowed a backup, then you are not really doing anything morally wrong. Most of us doing testing have more than one copy installed due to the need to keep a working install as well as one for testing not to mention a backup copy for if anything goes wrong with the PC.

Best suggestion for two Computers is to use a synchronising program so both your main copy and Backup copy are kept the same, any part finished saved sessions would be synchronised if you do it properly, you would need identical install locations on both machines and keep the data outside of the users folder then the Backup copy will work without having to re-input settings and such.
I had to restore the backup when the beta wouldn't patch, Disk permissions had gone awol and the patcher couldn't write to disk, Reformatted the disk restored the backup and that patched OK.
Or, might even be able to save the saved session to cdp. Never tried that but it should in theory work.

That licence is pretty much the standard for most purchased software other than if it's specifically made for multiple users as in a business.

It seems that in the past it was always possible to install a copy on my laptop and desktop systems.
AFAICT the license terms have always been like this - one copy to use and one for backup purposes only.

Those who run one on the desktop and one on the laptop probably have a protocol for switching the designation 'backup' between the two installs, such as renaming the folders.

Best suggestion for two Computers is to use a synchronising program so both your main copy and Backup copy are kept the same...

I did install T:ANE on the desktop, but then used the TreeComp utility to backup all downloads and work on my laptop on the desktop. It was truly a backup that saved me when my laptop hard drive died!

Those who run one on the desktop and one on the laptop probably have a protocol for switching the designation 'backup' between the two installs, such as renaming the folders.
This has never been necessary. I do backup the laptop to the desktop, as noted in my other reply, but I still feel that it is technically failing the test. I would consider a "backup" to be an external hard drive backup system that does not actually have the capability of executing the software.

It would be interesting though, and my point is, that there is not really a provision for more than one license of the same software package per user account, is there? If there is, I don't see it. I think that the fact that the software is tied to the user's account should be reflected in the legal terms of the license. Does it really matter how many copies we have installed and run, as long as these copies are tied to our user's accounts? I would argue that the license, as is, is more appropriate for DRM-free software than subscription-based software.

PG Music, for instance, finally started requiring license files (keys) to cut down on pirating of their Band-In-A-Box software. Before this, the license was restricted the same, but an email to HQ got you a quick "Go ahead, we appreciate you!" response when you requested installing on more than one machine. The license file threatened this precedent, but PG Music loosened the terms by permitting each user to install on up to three systems (three keys). This provided us the capability of having portable system and home studio setups without having to pay extra licensing fees.

I would appreciate N3V considering a similar arrangement, or at least loosening their legalese; after all, those of us who do create content will most likely need to test it on more than a single, stand alone system.

Last edited:
I have TANE installed on my desktop which is at home and another copy installed on my laptop which I take traveling (such as now). I never use both copies at the same time although I would be perfectly entitled to do so as I have two registered copies of TANE. I do not remember ever getting the second copy but, according to the Serial Numbers link on the MyTrainz page, I have two TANE copies registered.

I do exactly the same with TRS19, one copy on each computer, but I have never used both copies at the same time.

I occasionally run the same route/session in TANE on one computer and in TRS19 on the other for comparison.

Is just the program its self?

I currently have two different versions running content manager. The old build is running against a database on one drive while a fresh install is running on my a new database on another drive. I'm using this setup to transfer content from the old version to the new because I have an icky install from crashing and testing, and I need to replace the much slower, older drive the last build is running on.

Back