Thread: The 'invisible' option on DLS

Default The 'invisible' option on DLS

Hi,
    Not 100% dev related but somehow yes. Do you know how does it work? I understand it that this is something like on Youtube - you can have it there but it's not visible to the public unless you share the link. What I'd like to do using the invisible option - I have now a growing set of tracks. Each track consists of seven assets (main asset + dependencies). This means a forest of assets on DLS. making confusion to users. So if I upload all the dependencies as invisible and ONLY the main assets as visible - will the tracks be useable to people? Will the dependencies download along with the main asset even if they are invisible?

United States of America, Floatin' Along the Delaware River
    Blog Entries

Using the "invisible" checkbox only hides the asset from a whitepages search. The asset will show in CM regardless. Although I have not tried pulling in a dependency, I have been able to see and download an item I thought I "hid".
    Eat More Popsicles.

CM is not that important to me. The most important is DLS itself. I’d like a clear message sent to users. 24 tracks, not 168. Probably next week I’ll check it. Now I tweak all the tracks which are available on DLS and some more.

United States of America, Floatin' Along the Delaware River
    Blog Entries

Nevertheless, CM is probably what most people use. The White Pages are more of a fallback for things not available in CM or for people who do not have current versions. If you really want to hide things, your best bet is possibly to version them pre-3.5. Those should be hidden properly.
    Eat More Popsicles.

Quote Originally Posted by samplaire View Post
    I have now a growing set of tracks. Each track consists of seven assets (main asset + dependencies). This means a forest of assets on DLS. making confusion to users. So if I upload all the dependencies as invisible and ONLY the main assets as visible - will the tracks be useable to people?
    The short answer is that we don't really support anything like this at the current time. Hiding the assets from listing in Surveyor is certainly possible, but we don't make any attempt to hide "the guts" from people working in CM.

chris

Thanks! As I said I don’t want to hide things in CM. My only concern is DLS as s site. When I go there I treat it as a showroom. When I find something interesting there then I type its name in CM so there can be more similar names in CM. But when I see in DLS ‚SAM Trk II/B chairs’ or ‚sleepers’ this tells me nothing. So now I understand that I can hide all the dependencies from being listen in DLS but when I chhose to D/L a main asset all the dependencies will download with it.

Thanks! As I said I don’t want to hide things in CM. My only concern is DLS as s site.
    Yep, understood. My point is that we don't really distinguish. The visibility flag is a bit of legacy which (afaicr) predates CM as a concept, and definitely not something that I would rely on for controlling what users can or can't see.

chris

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I don't think this works as intended. I got the following message when installing tracks and bits into T:ANE.

- <NULL> Unable to search asset <kuid:132952:154558>. You do not have access to this content..

These assets failed:

<kuid:132952:154559> SAM Trk - III/B v10r Chairs-Right
    <kuid2:132952:151559:2> SAM Trk - III/B v6 Chairs-Right
    <kuid:132952:151555> SAM Trk - III/B v6
    <kuid2:132952:153659:1> SAM Trk - III/B v10 Chairs-Right
    <kuid:132952:154459> SAM Trk - III/B v6r Chairs-Right
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

I didnt hide any of the assets. They are 4.6 build so they dont work in TANE. It’s due to the PBR materials, sorry...

however if you encounter it in TRS19 then obviously not all the content is available yet. I uploaded everything. This particular asset is a mesh lib without which none of the mentioned would have bern uploaded - DLS doesnt allow to upload not full sets.
    Last edited by samplaire; October 22nd, 2018 at 01:27 PM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I didnt hide any of the assets. They are 4.6 build so they dont work in TANE. It’s due to the PBR materials, sorry...

however if you encounter it in TRS19 then obviously not all the content is available yet. I uploaded everything. This particular asset is a mesh lib without which none of the mentioned would have bern uploaded - DLS doesnt allow to upload not full sets.
    Thanks. This was in TRS19 so they weren't quite there yet.I'll try again another time.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100