Env Metal issues

So I have a issue with env metal in TRS2019. I replaced the image file of env metal with a blank file, because when the original env metal is being used, the asset appears very dark and weird (see picture 2). Now, when it's replaced with a blank image, it appears pretty well, apart from the reflections. The model now looks very greyed out and dull (see picture 2, engine on the left side) while other models are appearing so much better when not using env metal. On the right, what is my very first Trainz model :), the asset appears much more shiny than the left. My question is, will the weird darkness being fixed in a future update or something? Cause the asset appeared fine in TANE with the original env metal image being used (it wasn't shiny, but it wasn't that dull either).

Last edited:
The LINK must be a Direct Link to the picture on file somewhere. Try this free service and use the Direct Link choice.
Postimage.org

As you may know, the env_metal texture is intended to provide an environmental map that is reflected in the rendered model. Env_metal has a lot of dark areas that appears to have been mapped to Thomas' face.

You might try using a UV map to paint variations of your plain colour to selected areas of the image. This isn't something I have done so cannot recommend any particular colours but I might start with variations of greyscale.

TRS19 isn't final yet so you could waste some time getting it right for the current release and then having to redo it for the final release.

That's a very nice model. I like the faces. :)

The settings on the bottom Thomas loco is an example of the m.reflect material still needing more tweaking to more accurately emulated. This is a screenshot taken in TANE to show what it should look like. In this example I'm not sure why the m.reflect is used, since it's barely visible. I've looked at the shader code for m.reflect and I believe it's using a constant value for the reflection texture. Might be wrong though.
eLGz30m.png

Well thank you for the comment about the faces! So, I don't exactly know what you mean what I should do with the UV map. Could you perhaps give a little more explanation? ;)

Erm? so why post a link to something you can't see kind of pointless?

I would stop doing anything with m.reflect and env_metal as it is not working properly and is causing some very strange effects, needs fixing in TRS19 if it's possible.

I've spent the best part of two weeks trying to get it to work properly in TRS19, doesn't seem to be possible at present.

Back