Bright Trees vs. Others??

boleyd

Is the bright tree normal anywhere? I have never seen one. But if there are then is there a way I can get a photo or some specific area to Google. I have no objection to the tree, but there are so many in TANE and TR19 that I am beginning to wonder if I am totally wrong by rejecting them.:eek:

bright-tree.jpg

If the tree in the photo was available on TR19 I would grab it immediately. The photo below shows an overly brilliant picture from a nursery ($12.00 US seedling). The next photo is also from a nursery, but it seems much more realistic. Finally is a shot of the same specie in TR19.

River-Birch.jpg

River-Birch-dimmer.jpg

I would gladly use the second photo. The first looks like the tree in TR19. Always a matter of taste and perception. I have been to the park in Brussels where the Atomium is installed abut do not remember any overly bright trees.:) Regardless I really liked your pictured tree. Nice coloring and reasonable reflectivity.

From a biological point of view, the "brightness" of a tree is most likely a product of the structure and chemical composition of its foliage, which will vary between species, as well as the intensity of the incident light.

"Brighter" trees usually means that the leaves reflect more light - the leaf size, pigmentation (colouration) and thickness of its shiny waxy covering - all contribute there. Hotter drier climates usually means lighter colours and smaller leaves to reduce the absorbed light and heat; and thicker wax coverings to retain more moisture. So it is possible to have trees that are very much brighter compared to those you would see in higher and colder latitudes such as Pennsylvania.

Seed and tree catalogs always boost the magenta and overall ink saturation to ensure the pictures are most appealing. This produces overly bright and deeper colors in the images. The second photo looks like someone played with the image because the shadows are overly dark. Again probably from saturating the colors.

So don't use these as a guide for your tree choices. :)

Take a walk in Google Earth, your colors are probably more realistic.

Some trees though are naturally brighter, however, this seems to vary overall between tree authors in Trainz with some being brighter than others even among the same species.

I took a Google drive through residential Canberra. The species may be different but it was quite similar to Western Pennsylvania. I did notice that the the trees seemed to much better shaped which may be due more to household incomes than nature. So, what I see when I look at a forested hillside where several trees simply stand out so dramatically is real somewhere. Coal Country route probably not. I was concerned that I needed to adjust more favorably toward the very bright trees but it is just easier to simply delete them from the available assets. Even in the Amazon jungle bright stuff was not noticed. They seemed to be dark because of the competition for sunlight. Where as in the desert reflective bright leaves that are smaller certainly make sense. I might just pull up Mojave and stick in some of the bright stuff.

Thanks all.... and Can you trust yur tree nursery?

Last edited:
Back