Newbie help with loading....

1611mac

- - . -
Not sure whether to post here or 19 forum....

I'm running "Kickstarter County" in TRS19.

Is there any docs on "loading" cars? I've made two stops and loads were credited OK but on two other Loading stops nothing happens (no loads are credited). I can see a lumber load on flatcars but do boxcar loads go into specific cars also, and if so, how can I check if a boxcar contains a load or not? Sorry in advance for the newbie questions. Searches have not helped me much.

When a Route is created, the author will place railcars on the Route. When they do this they can define what can be placed into that railcar. If you go into that Route using the Surveyor tool (editor) you can then change what is allowed to be loaded into that railcar. If you are in Driver mode, I don't think you can override what is allowed in each railcar.

I've made two stops and loads were credited OK but on two other Loading stops nothing happens (no loads are credited). I can see a lumber load on flatcars but do boxcar loads go into specific cars also, and if so, how can I check if a boxcar contains a load or not?
For loading to function the industry has to support the commodity and have quantity available, and the traincar has to support the commodity and have space available. You need to confirm both from the respective properties.
Some commodities include a representation, some don't. Some commodities that are designed for boxcars do not support a representation, but those designed for flatcars (such as logs, or farm equipment) usually do. In some cases, such as bulk loads in the gondolas, it is up to the traincar, not the commodity, whether or not you see the commodity loaded.

In other words, it depends. If you provide some specific examples the behaviour can be checked.

To see the current status in Driver, use Ctrl+RMB and View Details. In Surveyor, select the Properties button (with the relevant tab opened).

Thanks very much for the reply...
Any way to see what is allowed without before into the Surveyor tool and if a car has a load inside or not?

1611 --

There are two ways of loading freight cars, the hard way and the easy way.

The hard way is to configure interactive industries when making the session to produce or consume commodities for interactive freight cars. Then in Driver drive to the interactive industry, stop and the cars will load or unload.

The easy way is this (full screen / 1080p):

The advantage of the second way is that it can be done anywhere on the route and it does not need pre-configuration.

Phil

Again... thanks all.. I'll investigate and try to learn this. Thanks for the video link.

I literally installed the app, ran thru the "Learn to Drive" tutorial sessions and now I'm trying to run thru the KickStarter Country 2 route. The only instructions provided were "pick up these loads at these locations" and "deliver loads to these locations." Two loads successfully automatically loaded for me but two others won't load even though my actions were the same. I tried looking thru the wiki tutorials and such but honestly, it's kinda hard making sense of all this starting with no knowledge.....

Ha... it was a good while before I even realized you could click and move up and down the train (view) and zooming in and out...

I do appreciate your help.

1611mac - Heh! There's a LOT to learn, and those of us who have been here seemingly forever, are still learning too!
Besides Phil's excellent videos, there are many other tutorials and Wikis available online.
Suggest check out this link to some official self-help Trainz videos: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Tutorial_Videos
The built-in Help System is improving rapidly in the latest beta version of TRS2019 and a PDF manual will be made available eventually when the full Public version is released in the final Quarter of this year.
And then there is always this forum, where there's never any such thing as a 'dumb question'.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Trainz!

Thanks much... it fun again.. I owned a hobby store from 1997 to 2007 and I had in store layouts in N, HO, O-27, and G. Did a lot of shows too. Sold a lot of train stuff but that's been years ago! I started watching some very good railfanning vid's and now I have live rail cams on all day (I work from home.) TRS19 is my first venture into sim software.....

Thanks for the help and kind words.

Back