Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signals not holding their settings in TS19

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    We also have an interface issue which really, really needs to be addressed with both the route building and session editing working exactly the same. Session editing, while it could be in a similar interface, should disable certain aspects that are only available in the route-editor such as adjusting track, placing track-objects, and other things that should only be done in the route. These changes would definitely help the disparity we have between routes, sessions, route-layers, and session-layers.

Over the past several years since layers were introduced, we have spent countless hours sorting out and resolving layer-related and session versus route problems. It's about time that this issue is addressed.
    Good points but we must be careful not to make things more difficult while attempting to eliminate the current confusion. The often requested but simple (to my mind) step of naming the active layer in the menu bar would solve some of these issues. The Layers Tool flyout does have a button that will lock all route layers and more use should be made of this - perhaps it should be locked by default when you load a session into Surveyor and that will still leave you with the ability to unlock it if needed.

I can see many complaints coming if you can only edit the route layers if you load a route without loading one of its sessions.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Good points but we must be careful not to make things more difficult while attempting to eliminate the current confusion. The often requested but simple (to my mind) step of naming the active layer in the menu bar would solve some of these issues. The Layers Tool flyout does have a button that will lock all route layers and more use should be made of this - perhaps it should be locked by default when you load a session into Surveyor and that will still leave you with the ability to unlock it if needed.

I can see many complaints coming if you can only edit the route layers if you load a route without loading one of its sessions.
    Good point made as well. I can see if things are unavailable, that might get people into a snit. If I recall, meaning digging out the dust bunnies and pulling cobwebs from neurons, layers in TS12 even where the route layer was locked while in the session editor.

We do need some kind of indicator. I'm testing a route for a fellow Trainzer and the session and route layers are messy and causing all kinds of issues like missing junction levers, track bits, etc. I've spent a couple of days untangling the mess. He had the right idea setting up various layers for things, but for some reason these categories ended up in the session portion. I found out, just recently, by the way, that these sub-layers can be dragged between session and route and rearranged too. This helped move a gazillion items from the session to the route and now it's all about picking up the stragglers.

If there was a big red or green button at the top saying ROUTE LAYER or SESSION LAYER (yes in caps), this would go a long way to where it should be, and situations like the one I mentioned wouldn't have, or shouldn't have occurred.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

I've spent a couple of days untangling the mess. He had the right idea setting up various layers for things, but for some reason these categories ended up in the session portion. I found out, just recently, by the way, that these sub-layers can be dragged between session and route and rearranged too. This helped move a gazillion items from the session to the route and now it's all about picking up the stragglers.
    There is also the ability to merge one layer into another. I play with one session per route. I put everything into the Route Layers. I Select Route; Select Session; Edit Session. This starts me off in the Session Layer. The First thing I do is Make the Route Layer the default. If I forget, frequently, as soon as I remember I merge the Session Layer into the Route Layer.

If there was a big red or green button at the top saying ROUTE LAYER or SESSION LAYER (yes in caps), this would go a long way to where it should be, and situations like the one I mentioned wouldn't have, or shouldn't have occurred.
    There have been many, many threads where users expressed the need for something like this on the menu bar:
    Clinchfield, Route, Buildings Layer (Locked)
    -or-
    Tampa Port, Session, Trees Layer (UnLocked)

Instead, N3V used valuable, and apparently scarce, programming time to give us animated engineer faces and eliminate single-click icons for QuickDrive and Search Filter. I have never seen a post where a user thought we needed animated driver faces.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Sounds like the temporary reds I get. N3V said, after a bug report, that the red signals are a result of the AI software needing time to re-scan the network/routes.

Since everything I do is in AI, I've seen trains sit at red signals for several minutes even though there is no apparent train coming in the opposite direction. However, running the exact same scenario over and pressing the Shift Key the time until green is greatly reduced. This makes me question N3V's rationale of needing time to rescan. It's more indicative of the AI waiting for some far distant actions to resolve.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by ecco View Post
    Since everything I do is in AI, I've seen trains sit at red signals for several minutes even though there is no apparent train coming in the opposite direction. However, running the exact same scenario over and pressing the Shift Key the time until green is greatly reduced. This makes me question N3V's rationale of needing time to rescan. It's more indicative of the AI waiting for some far distant actions to resolve.
    There's a stuck thread issue where the AI will stop driving after sometime as well as the signals remaining red even though hovering over the signal shows no train approaching, or some other condition such as a direction marker facing the wrong way. Pressing pause and resuming "resets" the system, and the AI carry on, however, as you know there are some implications in this.

As time goes on, the process gets steadily worse and eventually everything grinds to a halt. In my case, this occurred after about one hour, maybe a bit less depending upon the number of drivers, signals, and complexity of the route. Saving the session periodically while driving, and then restoring the session helps to a point after quitting completely. The AI will come back to life and the signals may or may not, meaning the AI will be careening around the route, ignoring signals, track marks, and speed limits, while the signals remain red or sometimes display nothing. Then suddenly, everything is back to normal, but by this time it's time to save and start that awful routine again of saving, exiting, and starting up again.

I reported this to the QA Team, and it was confirmed as a bug. When this gets fixed? Who knows!
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

There's a stuck thread issue where the AI will stop driving after sometime
    When this gets fixed? Who knows!
    The Shadow Knows.

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Ah, guess others are also experience the dreaded false red signals. If you select the red signal it will take you to another signal somewhere that may or may not be faulty itself.

BUT, do you want graphics people digging into AI for trains?

Will another redesign/new features bring in a few more dollars? Probably.
    Perhaps another new product that features the most challenging railroads in the world. Hmmm, may be a winner.

No increase in revenue to offset the expense makes better AI an unlikely development.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 4gb video card