Protecting your layout

Wow, so many responses. I for one don't care if someone decided to download my route and add a few side tracks, but re-uploading it under their name, there should be something in place, but what? As Lonnie said. My photos are on the web too, but all I ask for is attribution.

It's a shame we have to copy protect things.

I for one don't care if someone decided to download my route and add a few side tracks, but re-uploading it under their name, there should be something in place, but what?
It seems from that comment that what you are trying to 'protect' is your status as the originator. In that case the best approach would be to include a comment that it can be modified and redistributed provided you are given credit for the original. Include a nice graphic with your name prominent as well as the copy approval notice. That way people who copy it won't feel that they have to hide the fact that it's a copy, and you are much more likely to get the credit as the originator.

Jumping straight to some concept of copy prevention as the best means of 'protection' can be contradictory to what you really want to achieve.

It seems from that comment that what you are trying to 'protect' is your status as the originator. In that case the best approach would be to include a comment that it can be modified and redistributed provided you are given credit for the original. Include a nice graphic with your name prominent as well as the copy approval notice. That way people who copy it won't feel that they have to hide the fact that it's a copy, and you are much more likely to get the credit as the originator.

Jumping straight to some concept of copy prevention as the best means of 'protection' can be contradictory to what you really want to achieve.

agree. :)
I

I have been in and out of the community over the years. Has this asset stealing and reposting as their own really been an issue? I'm not talking about the case where some noob reskins an engine and post it on DLS not knowing the rules then does a big mea culpa with a red face. I would think getting caught would be pretty easy. This is not THAT big a community. As for trying to sell a pirated route, that doesn't sound like a going business model. Once the community found out the revenue would dry up for everything at the site.

Now the concept of illegally posting pay-ware for others to download for free IS an issue. But that is another type problem. If it can be digitized, it can be pirated (see movies, music, software, ...)

I wanted to modify and extend the C&O Hinton route to make the entire New River Train route and modernize it to reflect Chessie System and CSX but it is locked. Hopefully it will be unlocked in TS2019.

I wanted to modify and extend the C&O Hinton route to make the entire New River Train route and modernize it to reflect Chessie System and CSX but it is locked. Hopefully it will be unlocked in TS2019.

All payware routes are unlocked in TRS19. You can edit them, upload the edits to the DLS and owners of the original route can use the edited version.

It is something we'd love to see people taking more advantage of in the future (and I am sure we will once the concept is understood more by more people).

Back