Dighole problem with tunnel entrances

Your method does jack. If anything, it made the problem worse. Unless there's something I'm doing wrong. I don't even know what the bottom of the dighole is. Is it that "x" in the ground? And do I have to delete the dighole and then re-add it? I'm doing all this using wireframe view, which doesn't give a good indicator as to where ground level is.

And by move, do you mean change the height, or physically move it? Because that could be a problem since the game will often think I'm trying to move something else. The pointer accuracy is horrid.

Last edited:
I know the digholes you're using. They have a red X at the bottom right?

I moved them using the adjust height tool in surveyor mode also using wire frame mode but it still allowed me to see the track and stuff. Whatever the height of the baseboard sitting at (which I'm also going to assume is the track height as well) is where the red X should be. That way, it should stop anything 'falling' through the ground. This is how I managed to make it work anyway. You shouldn't have to physically alter the position of the dighole.

A dighole is not an actual physical hole that things can fall through, as Trainz is just a video cartoon elusion … I use a 1x1 Dighole and it just makes the 10m grid transparent

Looking at all the threads, I notice people complaining about the tunnel entrance. Note that these are "objects", not a tunnel spline end. But the issue is not limited to tunnels: Any asset (object) is affected. I have catenary posts (objects) and they also go UP like crazy. You set them back, and next time they are again up in the air.

Solution? Make the terrain flat at the tunnel entrance and apply the slope a little back from the tunnel entrance, punching the dighole there so inside of the tunnel you don't see the mountain side. Now, what do you do with the terrain at the tunnel entrance? Use one of those clever mountain side splines or something that will cover the terrain entrance. Note that the anomaly does not happen everywhere, so you have to play with it. Another solution is to use a tunnel portal that snaps to the track. There are some very nice looking ones around.

I know the digholes you're using. They have a red X at the bottom right?

I moved them using the adjust height tool in surveyor mode also using wire frame mode but it still allowed me to see the track and stuff. Whatever the height of the baseboard sitting at (which I'm also going to assume is the track height as well) is where the red X should be. That way, it should stop anything 'falling' through the ground. This is how I managed to make it work anyway. You shouldn't have to physically alter the position of the dighole.
Actually, they have a white X. It's the AJS Dighole.

I have found that sometimes everything goes well, and other tunnel creations just go south. Placing the dighole at ground level is not always possible. Once you have it and start to raise or lower it, the asset takes off in the direction you want, but cannot be reversed. Goes up if you mover it up, but keeps going up if you need to then lower it. A real pain!

I have a route I"m currently doing in TRS2019 with a lot of tunnels with dig holes and have no problems
I lay the track and grade it not worrying about terrain
Pick a place where the tunnel entrance's are reasonable for the scene
Lay the tunnel to follow track and adjust height & align with track in wire mode
I use ( tunnel 1 track black 210456:33026 ) also available in 2 track versions
Then attach dig hole to where you want it. There are a couple of dig holes which will align to grid in slightly different places ( ajs dig hole 2:122285:1010:2) or (tunnel dig hole 2:69518:1999:2 )
you may have to move track slightly to suit which dig hole is best suited
Then grade tunnel entrance ground height for the dig hole ( should be roughly the same as tunnel entrance height ) as in get spline height as you maybe working without spline point in track at that location
Add portal usually MILW type which attaches to track & also portals in building type
The gap at the top of the tunnel the top of the pentagon can be filled with either ( emm mr base board edge black 166065:105221 ) or ( tunnel portal 203201:5 ) to stop light leakage in tunnel
I have found if the track physically connects to anything as in a joint to attach a fixed portal it causes problems when using dig holes

ECML London Kings Cross to Edinburgh - Penmanshiel Tunnel

TRS2019 Built-in route ECML Kings Cross to Edinburgh Payware - The south portal to Penmanshiel Tunnel.
Anyone else have this?

Back