Dighole problem with tunnel entrances

Yorkshire

So here is the problem. I create a dighole and use it to insert two portal track objects to receive & send trains. the dighole has infront of it either the UK two track tunnel portal entrance or my own tunnel entrance. The issue is that everytime I close the route and re-open it, the tunnel portals have changed their height and descended a slight amount - leaving a gap above the entrance. I occasionally had this issue with TANE but having it more so with TRS2019. Why does this happen, any solutions please!?

Yorkshire

Don't forget that a dighole is just an invisible piece of baseboard. Any slope of the terrain will still effect the object placed on it.

Don't forget that a dighole is just an invisible piece of baseboard. Any slope of the terrain will still effect the object placed on it.

I appreciate that fact Stagecoach but the thing is that the tunnel portal object is placed just in front of the dighole on the level that the track on the baseboard enters the tunnel. It seems that the zone of influence of the dighole extends beyond its boundary. I have a feeling that it effects routes that are imported from TANE to TRS2019 rather than newly created routes/layouts.

Yorkshire

Thanks - I'll be interested to see if anyone else has had similar issues at the entrance to digholes.

Yorkshire

Confirmed here as well. I just checked some routes that had those in place already and the tunnel entrances dropped like yours did.

I'd seen tunnel portals without a track attachment drop when used with a dighole.

However, I've found that tunnel portals that have a track attachment, are much more stable. I also make sure that the tunnel portal is not pushed into the hole and use suitable tunnel wall, terrain splines &/or trees to camouflage any gaps.

Cheers,
Roy

This fault has been around since TANE was released. Objects and splines a grid square to the S and W of the dighole take on the height of the dighole itself. It can be repaired by raising the height of the dighole to ground level. However every new update to TANE has caused breakages and height alterations to objects, we have had to rework PLL four times now and make it 5 with TS2019.

Happening to me too (TANE). Changing the height of the dighole seems to help, but not always practical to get right.

Surprised no-one else has report

Paul

Believe me you're not alone with this. It's infuriating when you're trying to work on a route, test a section then find out that the portals have moved. This also happens in TRS19 too as I have tested it on the early access version (and am about to try on the Beta version).

As you say, you put the tunnel entrances in, connect track to either end, save, then re-load surveyor (or sometimes even just going to driver) and the tunnel entrances have changed height even though the terrain hasn't been touched. Just out of interest, which tunnel entrances are you using? I am using the LUL portals and have tried numerous digholes and have had the same result every time.

This fault has been around since TANE was released. Objects and splines a grid square to the S and W of the dighole take on the height of the dighole itself. It can be repaired by raising the height of the dighole to ground level.

Sorry to come across a little dense, do you mean I should place the dighole at ground level where the tunnel is? or Ground level above? For example in my case the height of the main route is 20m, however the tunnel entrance itself is at 10m, so are you suggesting to set the dighole at 20m rather than the 10m?

I am experienced with using digholes

PM me, or Skype UN: cascaderailroad

A dighole places itself, it can be rasied or lowerd and it makes no difference in the outcome .. it is a transparent punch out hole in the terrain gray grid

Last edited:
Sorry to come across a little dense, do you mean I should place the dighole at ground level where the tunnel is? or Ground level above? For example in my case the height of the main route is 20m, however the tunnel entrance itself is at 10m, so are you suggesting to set the dighole at 20m rather than the 10m?

You should set it at the ground level above as you describe it. In other words at the natural ground level before the railway was constructed.

Sorry to bump this, but I'd like to show this dighole bug in action:

C0EF2C754F3BCDC2F4F290808F9A653900DD1880

This was taken on a route made for TS12 (more specifically, the Island of Sodor route being actively worked on by zachmanawesomeness). It affects every tunnel on the route, though they all have different problems. Some tunnels will have this issue at one end, but be fine at the other end (IE a tunnel outside Knapford and the tunnel on the line from Ffarquhar to Ulfstead), some will be bearable (the only I've found like this is Hackenbeck Tunnel, AKA the tunnel Thomas used to beat Bertie in their race), and some...well, you can see it here.

Sorry to bump this, but I'd like to show this dighole bug in action:

This was taken on a route made for TS12 (more specifically, the Island of Sodor route being actively worked on by zachmanawesomeness). It affects every tunnel on the route, though they all have different problems. Some tunnels will have this issue at one end, but be fine at the other end (IE a tunnel outside Knapford and the tunnel on the line from Ffarquhar to Ulfstead), some will be bearable (the only I've found like this is Hackenbeck Tunnel, AKA the tunnel Thomas used to beat Bertie in their race), and some...well, you can see it here.

This was the exact same problem I had. What you need to do is put the base of the dighole at the exact height of the tunnel and it will stop moving like that. It used to drive me crazy but that was the fix I was told and it worked for me. I hope it works for you as well.

Okay, but how will that fix it? Does it do it automatically? Or do I have to do the work myself?

My basic understanding of digholes (and I mean it's very basic) is that it essentially punches a hole through the map allowing you to 'see' through the tunnel. The way digholes were positioned before, at least with my route, was that the base of them was beneath the ground. Because the dighole, and the space it took up, was bigger than the tunnel entrance itself this meant it literally took away the floor that the entrance was sat on, so the tunnel entrance would keep moving to compensate and then try and sit on top of the dig hole thus distorting all of the connecting track etc.

What you need to do is fix it one time and save it and it then SHOULD stay fixed.

Once I moved the bottom of the dighole to the same height as the ground the tunnel was sat on it worked like a charm and I've not had to touch it since. I then build over or around any other space I don't need created by the dighole but I don't have any other issues with the track thankfully.

Back