Pure White Trees!!!!

boleyd

Speed Trees labeled as winter are WRONG! No tree looks totally white in the winter where I live in Western Pennsylvania. I wonder if that occurs anywhere in the world? Ice covered trees DO NOT look like that. Where do the people live who dream up trees with pure white trunks and branches. Where do they live with pure white trees in the winter? White tree trunks and branches maybe in vogue somewhere. Tony should personally examine some of this stuff and wonder why he is paying money for it.

Speed Trees labeled as winter are WRONG! No tree looks totally white in the winter where I live in Western Pennsylvania. I wonder if that occurs anywhere in the world? Ice covered trees DO NOT look like that. Where do the people live who dream up trees with pure white trunks and branches. Where do they live with pure white trees in the winter? White tree trunks and branches maybe in vogue somewhere. Tony should personally examine some of this stuff and wonder why he is paying money for it.

Not strictly true. We get almost no snow here in Bedfordshire, UK and we (my family, at least) always refer to day 1 snow where the lovely white stuff sticks to everything and looks very pretty and the unholy mess it becomes on day 2.

Our friends in the USA will probably not be suprised that any snow deeper than about 3" brings the whole Country to a crashing halt.

Dick, I'm with you on a better looking tree but for me that would probably be perhaps half the trunk with snow and the other half without dependant on the prevalent wind. That would be quite impressive don't you think?

Wouldn't be high on my list of priorities for Tony to spend his time on.

I've got Tony down for proper lighting like most other simulators but I suspect we're at least 1 light year and half a sonic screwdriver away fropm that

Last edited:
I admit that I have not been to England in the winter. Strictly summer visits. A winter in Ireland came close with snow in the mountains but no perfectly white trees.Yes the snow can be sticky but to perfectly stick to every surface of every tree seems to be reserved for the proclamations of politicians. Here the weather can be any extreme so it keeps it very exciting.

I also see other N3V trees with white bark that does not exist on that specie. For some perverse reason N3V has decided that white trees are more prevalent than is normal. Fortunately the trick of opening one of the tree libraries and listing the dependent trees followed by placing those names in a PickList is an excellent way to quickly sort through appealing and non-appealing foliage. I discovered some trees and groups that I had never seen.

I know what Dick is talking about. The only time I've seen snow stick heavily to the trees is during a warm wet high-moisture snowstorm, and then we live in fear of downed wires and trees because usually following a warm and wet storm is the deep freeze the following day.

Here's some pictures from the 2012-2014 storms that hit New England. That dreadful hill is my driveway!

2DXNvaF.jpg

42TK2U8.jpg

Complaints like this are of little value unless you can quote some kuid numbers to check.

If the seasonal textures have been done properly, a winter tree should not have snow, it should just be bare. Snow textures should only appear if the tree happens to be above the snow line specified for the route or session.

Your description of a pure white winter tree suggests either a very lame effort at seasonal texturing or some kind of technical error with the asset or the program itself. Without a kuid reference, nobody is going to investigate.

Great looking pictures you posted today!

:wave: Good Morning John,

Those are really amazing pictures you took of after Snow Storm,

We have in-laws that live Boston Mass, and they would tell us, that as they got older, they were going to move to a secondary State for the Winter times in Boston, and years later they did. Now I see why.........

:( They always told us, it would get bitterly Cold, and too much Snow in areas it made life rougher as you got older.......So now they live in Boston only in the Summer, and Winter in a Southern State, and their as happy as Ducks........LOL

So tell us, how the heck do you drive up the Driveway of yours in this type situation?

:hehe: Out here in So Cal with Drought, well we only get in trouble when it Rains heavy, because our Dummy Drivers (not all, but quite a few) can figure out how to slow down and drive safer, so say on a normal day, our accidents might be 50, on a bad rain, 200-300 or more............And don't ask about Snow.........That's another deal up in the high mountains, they tend to end up in Snow Banks, and if it's really bad, they go out on Black Ice into the Gorges below, sometimes they make it, and sometimes they don't.

As others more knowledgeable would say, common sense (what's that????) goes a long way in how one drives their vehicle, and I can attest to that, I have been rear ended 7X over the years, one Driver almost killed me..........With a 52 mile hour rear end collision.

And John, if you can, send us some Snow or Rain, We don't care, this Drought we have is really bad, We are hoping for a Wet Winter?

Cheers........

Blue...

I have a Jeep. :)

Yeah it's tough in the winter here, but can't afford to leave so I hermit all winter and Trainz every day. Your relatives are lucky! :D

During that 2014 season, we got about 1 meter of snow minimum a storm with two or three storms a week. We had so much snow, we could barely see to back out of the driveway! Boston and the surrounding cities ran out of places to put the white stuff and were desperate. The snow mounds in Boston remained until mid-May before they finally melted.

My thoughts were exactly as yours. Why not send the snow out to places such as California to use rather than waste it and throw it away in the river or harbor? I pictured reefers and tank cars loaded up and moving in train loads of snow across the country, but no one listened to me.

Back to topic. Trees covered with snow. This is the heavy wet snow which will break branches left and right and bring down power poles too. It sure is pretty, but a dreadful occurrence that comes all to often now.

3396047548_3b889f0620_z.jpg

So envious of your beautiful snow. ....

Fabulous on Day 1 but a complete nightmare from Day 2 onwards (at least in the UK).

I am more disappointed that TRS19 (nor any version) can model snow falling and settling.

I have no programming skills but I imagine this is FIENDISHLY difficult to make happen.

Not too bothered about pure white trees but snow not settling is a big disappointment. Let's kick off a debate about that!!

Back