Looking for a laptop to run TRS19 and other Trainz versions

I would suggest checking out whatever Dell currently have going in low end gaming laptops. I have been using my entry level Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop (i5-7300HQ, 1050ti) as a test platform for my Trainz route development for a couple of years now. It runs TRS2019 quite nicely on medium settings. The cooling seems well designed, if somewhat noisy - a little bit of Alienware filter down. It is a simple 'two fans, in the sides, out the back' design, with not too many dust traps in the path. In fact CAM shows that it runs quite a bit cooler than my I7/GTX 1070 desktop, still, after two years. And if you do actually use it on your lap you wont be blocking the vents, and risking setting fire to your trousers. I get around the fan noise by turning up the sound
asmile.gif
(this particular model has excellent in-built sound, but unfortunately that was not carried forward to the next model).

One tip for buying Dell - watch out for their specials, both via their ebay store, and the usual online store. Specials are cycled around their offerings pretty regularly over time, and if you hold off you can save as much as 25% on the item you have your eyes on.

Last edited:
I would suggest checking out whatever Dell currently have going in low end gaming laptops. I have been using my entry level Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop (i5-7300HQ, 1050ti) as a test platform for my Trainz route development for a couple of years now. It runs TRS2019 quite nicely on medium settings. The cooling seems well designed, if somewhat noisy - a little bit of Alienware filter down. It is a simple 'two fans, in the sides, out the back' design, with not too many dust traps in the path. In fact CAM shows that it runs quite a bit cooler than my I7/GTX 1070 desktop, still, after two years. And if you do actually use it on your lap you wont be blocking the vents, and risking setting fire to your trousers. I get around the fan noise by turning up the sound :) (this particular model has excellent in-built sound, but unfortunately that was not carried forward to the next model).

One tip for buying Dell - watch out for their specials, both via their ebay store, and the usual online store. Specials are cycled around their offerings pretty regularly over time, and if you hold off you can save as much as 25% on the item you have your eyes on.

Also Dell outlet store.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/shop/dell-refurbished/cp/outlet

The name is deceiving. Outlet means returns, open box, overstock, and scratch and dent. My brother picked up a desktop, not a laptop with a substantial savings through this. The machine had a slight scratch on a side panel but other than that everything is fine and the machine is covered with the Dell's warranty they have for brand new machines.

I agree the Inspiron 5000 series is quite nice. My bro has an older one going on a few years now and he used to use it for 3d modeling and other graphics work before he got his desktop.

Last edited:
depending on how powerful laptops are, i havent been looking recently, but i would recommend at least 500 GB for just trainz, there are people who make content that need more than 2 TB, i can say from experience if you are just downloading stuff in small amounts, 500 GB is a good number as content files can throw your usage up REALLY fast.

Most suggestions support Intel but it may be prudent to hang back for a month or two to see what's on offer when the new AMD Ryzen 4000G series laptops hit the shelves. I'm not sure one is better than the other but current press reports might suggest that you could get more bangs for your bucks with all other aspects of your spec being equal. Peter

Back