Looking for a laptop to run TRS19 and other Trainz versions

Od19

Im planning on buying a gaming laptop as a post birthday present for myself so I can upgrade to a newer laptop to play my Trainz simulators. I have Trainz 04, 12, and 19. My current laptop is an average household variety hp pavilion with Windows 8.1, it's a bit aged but performs decently when using how laptops are typically used.

I1 found a gaming laptop that might be good but I don't know for sure, here are the specs: ( https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-vivobook-f510ua-ah51-15-6-core-i5-8250u-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/specs/ )

It appears it only has Intel graphics. I would be looking for something with an Nvidia 1050ti graphics card as a value entry level gaming Laptop, if you must have a laptop (for Trainz a desktop with same or better graphics card is a much better, and cheaper, option). You may have trouble finding something suitable at that price-point.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'll have to stick with finding a laptop because I would like to be able to play Trainz when im not home. Would the one in the link be able to handle Trainz 19 on medium settings?

I would never burn up a expensive laptop ... My desktop is far away, and the external HD USB wires won't reach, and I am too lazy to move my PC closer ... I haven't opened up Trainz in 5 months because my desktop PC is not mobile

Newegg.com

search gaming laptops with nVidia 1060 or better. Ideally you want the 6 gig version of the 1060. Read the reviews, especially the ones on the Dell laptops. I personally like ASUS and expect to spend a $1,000.

You don't need an i7 an i5 will do fine.

A GTX 1050 TI is an option if $1,000 is too much but again read the reviews.

You will need almost certainly to have it plugged in when running Trainz.

Cheerio John

MSI make great gaming laptops.
The one you've specified above is a good entry-level machine, but it could do with a stronger GPU.
Things to like about the spec are: 16Gb physical RAM, Intel i7 Quad Core CPU, Full HD (1920 by 1080) screen resolution on 15.5" LCD, Discrete nVidia GTX GPU with 2Gb of GDDR5 or better.

If your budget can stretch to it, look for another laptop in their range with either a GTX-1060 or GTX-1070.
Then, you'd be able to run TRS2019 or T:ANE with high visual quality settings and decent draw distances at reasonable frame-rates.

What would any of you recommend for TRS19 on medium graphics settings? My budget is too low for a laptop that can run full graphics.

Part of the difficulty of responding to these sort of questions is that we all have different standards for acceptable performance, and different ideas of "cutting costs".

Given the config the OP is coming from, I suspect he would be quite happy with the last solution he posted, with the 1050 card, although it doesn't appear to be particularly good value for money (NB: the I7 is probably wasted on Trainz at this price point, an I5 would suffice). A 1050 doesn't need as much cooling or power, so the rest of the laptop build can also be cheaper (in theory). It should run Trainz OK, with a bit of tweaking of the settings, which is what the OP is asking for. If you don't have the money for anything better, then you don't have the money for anything better!!

A final note (from me anyway). One thing I always like to check b4 I had over my money is comments on fan noise and heat while gaming in any reviews I can find. Heat is a laptop killer, and excessive noise is painful.

Edit: Turns out it was not my final note. See my later post :D.

Last edited:
One final comment Middleton for laptops apparently runs happily on an i3 with Intel integrated graphics 4000 or later. Not a lot of scenery but plenty of sidings to play in and sheep, cattle and people to carry from one station to another. Middleton with canal runs in a window on the same sort of machine.

If you select the right track and assets the lower end machines are capable of running TANE.

Cheerio John

What is: "Middleton for laptops" ?

NM ... I found the "Middleton" routes on the DLS

I'd picked up a refurbished Dell laptop, i5 with series 4000 Intel integrated graphics which has direct x 11 so there was no technical reason why it couldn't run TANE. The frame rates might be expected to be a bit low. However knowing a bit about hardware and content creation I put together content that has about the minimum machine impact that I could come up with. These are the 17_5 series wagons etc. The loco was a challenge, I'd given myself a budget of 25,000 polys for the screen and I wanted steam. Well the G15 steam tram had covered wheels so no animated con rods. We knew that repeating the underframe reduced the impact on the wagons so I took it to extremes everything uses the same 17.5 foot underframe. Even the passenger coaches based on an 1870 design. It has sheep pens and cattle pens that fill up with sheep and cattle much like a station with passengers and they are visible in the cattle wagons that carry them off.

The track was suggested as being low impact the station track layouts came from RBWEB suggested for model railway branch station offering scope for shunting and Chris Nawlins laid the track. Each stations and surrounding platforms are just one mesh again to reduce the machine impact. Chris added the canal when we wanted a layout to show off the narrow boats and just for fun I ran it on the laptop in a window and it actually ran reasonably well.

Cheerio John

Unregistered user: "October 11th, 2018" bumped post, in FONT=roboto

Last edited:
I have an acer nitro 5 with the 1660ti 6gb card, runs bear creek in 2019 nicely on high settings. it cost around $1500 in australia , no doubt much cheaper in the states.lousy battery performance tho, lucky to get 2 hours when playing games.

Back