Rock/cliff face splines

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Hi.

I've searched but really there are none suitable, at least for Australia... I'm referring to the common situation of vertical (NOT sloping) cuttings where the height is low, say 1 -4 metres, but the top runs away at near level. With 10 metre squares there is no way to make this look right, unless there is a spline (I haven't found) that has a vertical face and a flat top that is at least 40 metres wide. If you know of any (even payware) please point me in the right direction. Can't say that any look like the type of rock face we have, although that varies like the proverbial anyway. The example below is about as close as I can get it, but clearly has a hole/dip at the back of the top edge. Thanks in advance, again.
Cliff-splines%2C-none-suitable....jpg

Check user -- dangavel
There's about 400 or so cliff splines
You can lower to whatever height you want

I know, but lowering the height doesn't solve the problem. The tops aren't wide enough, until I found his DG fortysecond Cliff flat 1. However..... I can find no texture to match it to blend in so it stands out like a sore thumb. He mentions "cumbres toltec sandstone rock texture 6" for that purpose, but..... it doesn't exist (anymore). It's not bad except it looks odd with a sandstone face, but grey/ish top. I shall try and find a matching colour/pattern.

There's not a lot of useful cliff splines that really have the Aussie 'look'.

Willem2 made a few but you will be limited to a single track.

Check these two,..

<kuid2:97008:35108:1> QR Rock Cutting6
<kuid2:97008:35111:1> QR Rock Cutting9 one sided

The first is a two sided cutting and the second could be used on the side of a mountain, high on one side and drops away on the other side.

If you are looking for 40m flat space for dual tracks, you are better off shaping it yourself.

Or, you could use Victrainz <kuid2:1854:15012:1> cliff e 2 which has one vertical rock wall and extends to 30m high.

big_b mentioned dangavel. You might find a few good rock textures on Content Manager from him.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:
You can set the baseboards to 5x5 instead of 10x10. That will give you a better slope already plus maybe more splines will fit now.

5x5 yes.... but I doubt my pc could handle it. It's being pushed to the limits already. I know I need a new one, it's only 8 years old! (new video card with 2Gb). Next year at this rate...
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, 3067 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
with Raedon RX550...

I know, but lowering the height doesn't solve the problem. The tops aren't wide enough, until I found his DG fortysecond Cliff flat 1. However..... I can find no texture to match it to blend in so it stands out like a sore thumb. He mentions "cumbres toltec sandstone rock texture 6" for that purpose, but..... it doesn't exist (anymore). It's not bad except it looks odd with a sandstone face, but grey/ish top. I shall try and find a matching colour/pattern.

I can send you that texture if you need it, I probably never put it on the DLS as I am so busy making routes , got diverted from cumbres and toltec to the uintah rwy so components of that line were never completed on dls., I am also putting up a few dozen more cliffs soon, when the bundle is online I'll put up a thread so you can download them from wetransfer for a week. all my stuff is done for US cliffs, despite me living in oz. I will put textures that allow blending if I have the time, but I now have about 400 separate cliffs and sorting them all and their accompanying textures out is a pain and takes time I don't seem to have. :)
I can dump about 2 gb's of assorted cliffs and textures online today for people to use, but they wont be sorted or quality controlled and may well be superseded by later versions once the route goes on the DLS as i'm continually refining things and making new versions.Aslo almost all have the wrong thumbnails , however, if you are happy to take the chance, then I can do it easy.

Last edited:
Back