October Win10 1809 Update live.

I saw that, thank you.

I'm running the Insider Build and have found there are some nice changes in there like the clipboard sharing and notepad updates like being able to zoom in and retain the formatting and the dark theme for File Explorer and other windows dialog boxes.

My older PC..(Win 10 Pro, i3 + 750Gti ) took 2 hours and 20 minutes from start of download to login after restart last night!

I now need to check all of my settings to see what MS has reset to their preferences and not mine.

I probably won't use 90% of the bloatware they've updated either.

So.. be prepared for a huge install folks.

Need to re-install Nvidia Drivers, the Upgrade is not installing them properly, OpenCL is missing.

As always backup your critical data prior to any operating system update and ensure all your drivers and antivirus signatures are current prior to upgrading.

I was not affected by this bug now or during the preview builds. The CPU usage issue was a reported bug during the preview and apparently it didn't get fixed. I believe it's fixed i 180928-1410, which came out just after the 1809 update.

Hearing that issue, I'm afraid to even update myself since I have no idea how to backup my Trainz stuff since I don't have a USB or anything like that.

Deleting files in at least one case was not paying attention when using the MCT and missing ticking "keep my data" another was the user had moved his User folder elsewhere and the update had as you would expect with what is effectively a reinstall, set things back to default, the same one persons report is being spammed all over the internet on the tabloid sites, not to mention the Internet echos where people have to repeat problems others have even though it never happened to them or they haven't upgraded even, making it probably seem a bigger problem than it actually is, bit like happens on here ;o)

If you want to find out the real problems and there are a few check out Ten Forums, often there's a simple solution though.

The Task Manager CPU usage will be fixed in the Cumulative update due on Tuesday for non Insiders, Insiders already have it, I've taken my Insider PC off Insider for the moment so can't check.

Edit: Now looks like 1809 has been pulled as the download page has reverted to 1803 nothing official from Microshaft yet......

Last edited:
Well Micro$oft have got a few months yet to get it right. Based off the timing for the 1803 update here, which arrived during September, it should be Feb 2019 before it rears its head and want to be let loose on my PC.

Installed in about 45 min. and no problems at all.

Win 10 X64 Pro- i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz 16Gb Ram GTX 1060

John

Last edited:
The updates are being rolled out in stages to computers around the globe according to their system spec and 'readiness' for the feature upgrade.
The laptop I use for presentations detected the update immediately it became available and updated without issues. Is running well and looks much better than before now that it has access to the dark theme UI for File Manager etc.
My main production desktop and file servers were already running later Windows Insider builds in any event, so they remain the same.

If you have a machine running the previous build that is operating well, back up your crucial files & documents safely and then force the update by simply going to All Settings, Updates & Security, and click on 'Check for Updates'.
Accordingly, if your machine is compliant with the readiness criteria, then the update will begin and the new build downloaded and installed.

This new Windows feature update sports some excellent new capabilities and features and is strongly recommended.

I read about that as well boc61 (they've effectively pulled the update). Apparently it's due to the data loss bug as well as a couple of others.

Shane

I'd recommend waiting until Windows Update offers it for your system rather than doing it manually as by then they've hopefully sorted any major bugs.

Shane

Back