Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: October Win10 1809 Update live.

The updates are being rolled out in stages to computers around the globe according to their system spec and 'readiness' for the feature upgrade.
    The laptop I use for presentations detected the update immediately it became available and updated without issues. Is running well and looks much better than before now that it has access to the dark theme UI for File Manager etc.
    My main production desktop and file servers were already running later Windows Insider builds in any event, so they remain the same.

If you have a machine running the previous build that is operating well, back up your crucial files & documents safely and then force the update by simply going to All Settings, Updates & Security, and click on 'Check for Updates'.
    Accordingly, if your machine is compliant with the readiness criteria, then the update will begin and the new build downloaded and installed.

This new Windows feature update sports some excellent new capabilities and features and is strongly recommended.

Blog Entries

"My wife says that if I buy one more train, she is going to leave me. I'm going to miss her."

Blog Entries

I read about that as well boc61 (they've effectively pulled the update). Apparently it's due to the data loss bug as well as a couple of others.

Shane
    Shane Turner
    Technical and DirectX Advisor - Not affiliated with N3V

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

Blog Entries

This is going to be my first Win 10 Update so I'm apprehensive enough as it is.
    "My wife says that if I buy one more train, she is going to leave me. I'm going to miss her."

Blog Entries

I'd recommend waiting until Windows Update offers it for your system rather than doing it manually as by then they've hopefully sorted any major bugs.

Shane
    Shane Turner

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

Sooo, what about those that have updated like me?
    Should we be concerned?

I don't have any documents or photos stored on the same drive as WIN10, all are on a second HD and/or an external HD. (A lesson I learned back in XP days)
    TANE is on the same HD as Win 10 and my Local Data is in a seperate folder than TANE.
    Graham, EM Modelz

Blog Entries

I've already updated prior to discovering those issues but haven't had any issues yet but if unsure check that anything hasn't gone missing document wise on the hard drive Windows is installed on (it only seems to be affecting some people).

Shane
    Shane Turner

MS are saying do not update if you have already downloaded the Install media, bit late as I've done 3 PC's using the MCT to create the ISO, however they all installed OK with no problems other than re-installing Graphics drivers and adjusting a few new settings.
    Pretty sure the problems are with the Windows update install method. Probably looking at next week before the mess is sorted out.
    Please everyone backup your operating system and data before allowing any upgrade.
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by ryanthebrony1361 View Post
    Hearing that issue, I'm afraid to even update myself since I have no idea how to backup my Trainz stuff since I don't have a USB or anything like that.
    You can always buy an external HDD of the same space of your computer and copy all the stuff there... although depending of the size, it will take a long time.
    CPU: Intel I7 6700K
    Kingston ValueRAM 16GB Ram@2133MHz
    Gigabyte GeForce 1060 6GB OC
    Win10 64-bit Home and T:ANE SP3 Build 94808

Quote Originally Posted by ajrf View Post
    You can always buy an external HDD of the same space of your computer and copy all the stuff there... although depending of the size, it will take a long time.
    Well thankfully the update was pulled for now, but someday I might get an external HDD for more space.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads-up,Malc!
    Take Care, sir
    Ish

My pc updated yesterday evening.
    This morning, I was able to log in, then nothing! Just a black screen with a mouse pointer...

The cure is not too difficult.
    Apparently, MS Update likes installing the latest intel video drivers, then using the new "digital" display it has installed.
    Bring up task manager (3 finger salute), then run the nVidia control panel (notice the mismatch with the driver?).
    Change the multi monitors back to 1, then reboot...

Colin

Think that will have been the 1803 cumulative update, 1809 is still suspended. Currently being tested by Insiders to make sure there is no more deleting of files.
    Malc

I've installed the Win10 October update 1809 more or less as soon as it was available, I haven't noticed any detrimental affects e.g. deleted files. I've also installed the latest cumulative updates, again with no apparent problems.

Rob.

United States of America, Ohio, Beavercreek

I backed up virtually everything I could a few days ago when the foofarah hit the fan. Last night, MS updated Win10. It took a total of 3 minutes from telling me it was going to update, through reboot, and to the desktop again. I didn't lose a thing and I'm back in business.

Bill
    Name: Bill
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2004
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)